International Shortwave Broadcasting

Thread: International Shortwave Broadcasting

International Shortwave Broadcasting

I'm curious why there is no International Shortwave section in Radio Discussions? Or, is there a shortwave thread and I missed it? I've looked everywhere and the closest I can find is international terrestrial radio.
    Jeffrey M. 'Mark' Tillery
    J. M. Tillery & Associates, P. A.
    Email Contact: jmtillery1@aol.com

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtillery View Post
    I'm curious why there is no International Shortwave section in Radio Discussions? Or, is there a shortwave thread and I missed it? I've looked everywhere and the closest I can find is international terrestrial radio.
    There is not much going on on SW in recent years. I suppose any SW discussion might go in the DX section.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

International shortwave has been dying for years. Most of the old European broadcasters have shut down, the BBC and Deutche Welle being notable exceptions, and they are shadows of their former selves. Most of those that still exist dropped English-language programming a long time ago.

The Chinese have lots of regional stations, but of course you have to understand Chinese. China Radio Int'l still has programming in English directed to the US, relayed via Cuba. Radio Havana Cuba is still around, but they have serious technical issues, mostly with bad audio.

The tropical-band stations from Latin America are almost gone -- maybe 20-25% of the stations that existed 30 years ago are still on the air (David Eduardo -- am I close?). But US religious stations are now authorized on the 60 and 90 meter bands. That was never allowed before.

Most US stations outside of what's left of VOA are religious broadcasters that also air some secular programming.

The half-dozen Canadian relays of AM stations that have been around for 50-60 years are still there, but Radio Canada Int'l is gone. Radio Australia and Radio New Zealand just cut back their shortwave broadcasts a few months ago, so who knows how much longer they'll still be around.

Those stations that are left are shown at Short-Wave.info, but the best place to discuss it is the DX board.
    We have to save the Earth! It's the only planet with football and beer.