• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Phone and email SPAM and SCAM alerts

How are there 45 pages of people still answering their phones from unknown numbers in 2023?
well I am between jobs so when the phone rings and to me its unknown (as its not in my contact list) I usually answer because it could be someone calling to do an interview (but the area code is usually the one for my area and not some random one) :)

well I am between jobs so when the phone rings and to me its unknown (as its not in my contact list) I usually answer because it could be someone calling to do an interview (but the area code is usually the one for my area and not some random one) :)
It's 46 now and many of the posts are email scams. Or warnings I read about in newspapers.

I gotta ask.....is it a rotary phone? Avocado green?
No, my last rotary phone was the one at my grandparents' house. We got a brand new one with buttons when we moved next door to them. Same color as the one on "Young Sheldon".

I think we had a rotary phone in the last house we lived in before this one, but I don't remember.

Now, I'm getting a weird bit of code that shows up in the text window when I click "Compose". When I sent an e-mail to a brother of mine, he also got sent a spam e-mail from "me".
Now, I have to delete that code before I type what I'm writing to someone.
How low is this #%&+ gonna go?!?

I agree. I answered the first call. That was a mistake. Now I'm on their 'sucker' list.
I'll check with Verizon wireless (It's a cell phone) and find out if there is a way to block these numbers.
Perhaps I can assign them a 'silent' ringtone on my phone.
I almost never answer the phone if I don't know who is calling. In the event that I do get a spam call and it's not automated, but live, I simply say "I need to grab a pen, can you hold" and then I put the phone on mute. Some will hold for quite a while and while they're wasting their time holding they're not scamming someone else. I agree with others that whistles or horns are of limited value and annoy you more than them. Screaming at them only amuses them. The best thing you can do is waste their time.

During the day today, I got quite a few e-mails with the same subject:
----------------Congratulations!---------------
The "From" names were:
'Sams'Club'
'Walmart'
'Costco'
'CVS'rewards'
'Craftsman'Generator'Ace'Hardware'
'Harbor'Freight'Milwaukee' and
'Yeti'M30'Backpack'

Had a good one the other day: Cell phone rang with an Alexandria VA prefix. Knowing a lot of folks in Alexandria, I answered the call. The creep on the phone claimed he was with the Alexandria Sheriff's Department, and that I had a bench warrant out for my arrest, and that he was assigned to my case to get this matter cleared up because 'he was sure I was a law abiding citizen'. So, I played along for a few minutes, getting the caller frustrated by asking dumb questions over and over. I asked "Officer Hunter" if he could hold on for a second, then I dialed and conferenced us both in with the non-emergency operator for the Alexandria Sheriff's Department. 'Hi, I've got Officer Hunter on the line with me, and he claims I have a bench warrant against me.' 'Officer Hunter, would you please explain the situation to the officer here on the phone?' Not surprisingly, the creep hung up. But, I had the phone number he dialed from which went to a voicemail claiming he was Officer Hunter. I gave his number to the Sheriff's Deputy on the phone.

Next day, I used my number spoofer app, and kept calling the creep back leaving messages with different voices claiming I know who he is, and where he lives. Finally got the message that his voicemail was full. Maybe he'll think twice before trying the scam again.

Next day, I used my number spoofer app, and kept calling the creep back leaving messages with different voices claiming I know who he is, and where he lives. Finally got the message that his voicemail was full. Maybe he'll think twice before trying the scam again.

I've had moments with too much time on my hands, especially when I find out the spammer's Caller ID actually works as an incoming number, doing something like what you have done.

I consider it a mark of success when they disconnect the number and it now hits a not-in-service recording.

I've had numerous calls from the Medicare card scammers, telling me my paper red, white and blue card is expiring and I need to have it replaced with the green and white plastic card.

Okay, no big deal, and knowing they want a valid Medicare number, of course, I provide my fake number.

Next batch of calls, wanting to send X, Y or Z, and paid by Medicare, so when I get asked about having the red, white and blue card, I tell them it got replaced with the green and white plastic card. That usually results in an immediate hang up.

Mr. Jim Ovia <[email protected]>
Bcc: [email protected]

Sun, Jun 4 at 11:20 PM

~)(^$%
hQ

This is the 3rd time i am sending you this notification letter
regarding your abandoned ATM Master Card valued sum of US$4.5 Million
and i have not received any positive response from you or making a
suggestion on how you wish to receive your ATM Card. Once again; I am
Jim Ovia, the new director ATM Head of Operation Zenith Bank Plc, I
resumed this office on the 30th of May 2023 and during my
official research I discovered an abandoned ATM Master card valued sum
of $4.5 Million dollars belonging to you as the rightfully intimate
beneficiary.

I tried to know why this card has not been released to you but I was
told by the Union management that the former director ATM head of
operation who left this office four months ago withheld your card for
his own personal use without knowing that his evil plans towards
diverting your fund will be discovered.

Alternatively it can be arranged to ship to your address through any
registered reliable courier service company that you will take care of
the courier charge, hope it is cleared and accepted by you?

I don't know the courier cost of shipping the card to you but if you
permit me and accept the terms, then I can make an inquiry from the
courier shipping company to find out the cost, but in that case you
will be required to forward to me your address where you want to
receive the card to enable me find out the shipping cost to your location.

Yours Faithfully,
Ovia F. J

Had a good one the other day: Cell phone rang with an Alexandria VA prefix. Knowing a lot of folks in Alexandria, I answered the call. The creep on the phone claimed he was with the Alexandria Sheriff's Department, and that I had a bench warrant out for my arrest, and that he was assigned to my case to get this matter cleared up because 'he was sure I was a law abiding citizen'. So, I played along for a few minutes, getting the caller frustrated by asking dumb questions over and over. I asked "Officer Hunter" if he could hold on for a second, then I dialed and conferenced us both in with the non-emergency operator for the Alexandria Sheriff's Department. 'Hi, I've got Officer Hunter on the line with me, and he claims I have a bench warrant against me.' 'Officer Hunter, would you please explain the situation to the officer here on the phone?' Not surprisingly, the creep hung up. But, I had the phone number he dialed from which went to a voicemail claiming he was Officer Hunter. I gave his number to the Sheriff's Deputy on the phone.

Unintentionally, I kept my San Fernando Valley /Los Angeles cellular number when moving to the Palm Springs zone. I kept it because it was a nice, easy number and I'd had it for over 20 years.

After ten years here, the only people calling from LA that I want to talk to are in my phone list. Any other call from that area code is not legitimate. So I ignore them and then block their number. Since scammers don't realize I am in a different area code zone, I don't get any calls I don't want with the local area code.

By not wanting to "localize" my phone when I moved, I got a free and very effective way of not connecting with the army of thieves that is out there!

Back
Top Bottom