• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Phone and email SPAM and SCAM alerts

Cell service providers are supposed to block these calls. They can tell when the number is being spoofed.
For some reason, they are getting through.
If T-Mobile blocks calls, I am not sure I'd know about it.

By the same token, today I received five calls which T-Mobile identified as Spam Likely.

I do know that some years ago, T-Mobile identified one call as Spam Likely, but the call was actually from my bank and was a real call, with a customer service representative giving me an update on a credit card issue.

Very interesting story....but I have a simple solution.

When dealing with checks of any kind in payment of your goods, deposit immediately and await it to clear your bank before sending anything (Bill of Sale, Title or money) out. You can always state in your For Sale ad "goods will be released only upon clearance of non-cash payment". That should ward off most of the baddies.

From the spam folder:

Re <[email protected]>
To:[email protected]

Sun, Apr 24 at 7:30 PM

For your security we disabled links in this email. If you believe it is safe to use, mark this message as not spam.

Welcome (my name),

This is to inform you that your request on: Sun,24 Apr-2022 to remove your account from Yahoo server has been approved and will initiate in one hour from the exact time you open this message. Regards.

To continue with email removal Click here

If this deactivation was not requested by you

Mark this message as not spam and Click here

Regards,
Yahoo

Not an e-mail or phone scam per se, but on Sunday I used my credit card to buy tickets to a ballgame through the MLB website. I then received an e-mail thanking me for signing up and registering my credit card for "Click to Pay" service. I guess they thought I'd appreciate them doing this for me as a "courtesy", but I'd rather enter my credit card information when making a purchase, rather than mistakenly clicking the wrong thing and ordering stuff I didn't intend to. I had to get them to send me a 6 digit login code and had to provide my 3 digit CVV code in order to deactivate the Click to Pay for future purchases.

Found this in my work account:

From: Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2022 6:53 AM
Subject: Re: PROJECT: From: Dr. Emmanuel Ibe Kachikwu (GMD) Nnpc Towers Garki, Abuja

Nnpc Towers, Central Business District, Herbert Macaulay way, P.m.b. 190, Garki, Abuja.

Contract Ref No: NNPC/PED/1462/KADREF/92)

Attn: Ceo,

I know that this proposal may come to you as a surprise especially having to come from someone you have not met before. I got your information from your country's chamber of commerce here in Nigeria.

My name is Dr. Emmanuel Ibe Kachikwu, The Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC). Be informed that my partner Dr. Maikanti Baru and I awarded a contract to a foreign firm (Sheng Yang Contraction Company) with contract Ref No: NNPC/PED/1462/KADREF/92) for the maintenance of the Nigeria petroleum-chemical complex located at Kaduna, Nigeria.

I know that this proposal may come to you as a surprise especially having to come from someone you have not met before, but I would like you to co-operate with me so that this U$D98, 000,000.00 will be released and transferred into your account, it is mine profound intention to contact you for this very important and highly confidential transaction for the transfer of (U$D98, 000,000.00 Ninety-Eight Million United States Dollars Only into your bank account.

The contract has been successfully executed by the contractors and their contract sum has been paid to them, leaving us an overestimated balance of (U$D98, 000,000.00 Ninety-Eight Million United States Dollars Only) still pending at the bank. Right now, we are left with this overestimated balance of (U$D98, 000,000.00) which is still floating at the escrow account in the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) waiting for final payment to any reliable foreign bank account, you may provide.

We, as government officials, are not permitted to own or operate foreign bank accounts. therefore, we need reliable person who will provide us with a foreign account where to transfer and deposit this US$98,000,000.00, that is the reason we are soliciting for your sincere assistance to provide us with an account where to transfer this money .all modalities for the easy transfer of this money is now in place, the period of this transaction is only two weeks from the day we receive your bank account details.

Note that 50% of our share will be invested in your country, as we propose to give you 30% of the U$D98, 000,000.00, my partners and I will get 60% of the money.

The balance of 10% will be allocated to cover all expenses incurred by both partners, be informed that this proposal is urgent and confidential, please send to me your bank account details and full address of company name and address, your private phone and fax number for easy communication which will be used in securing all the necessary documents for easy transfer of the fund.

Awaiting your urgent response.

Best regards.

Dr. Emmanuel Ibe Kachikwu.
The Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC)

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Masterpage®. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error.

How about this "entertaining" language (I always thought that Alfred Hitchcock was the expert in "temporary suspense"):

115963075644tf8ybzbodmklgfw65ome4wdrpgrh7lt9ayblbizlifjy9jixocjr1u8n58rdgte7qhewonlwox9amvu45uzquw7u2d70edhrnqj.png

Dear Customer,

Due to recent system maintanance, all Amazon profile are needed to corroborate their particular infomation.

To corroborate your account, go to the" link" below and follow the instruction.

Fake website address removed.

Please Note If your account isn't vindicated now, it may affect in a temporary suspense.

Thank you for being a valueable client. We look forward to serving you stylish.

Unfeignedly,
Amazon Customer Service.

How about this "entertaining" language (I always thought that Alfred Hitchcock was the expert in "temporary suspense"):

115963075644tf8ybzbodmklgfw65ome4wdrpgrh7lt9ayblbizlifjy9jixocjr1u8n58rdgte7qhewonlwox9amvu45uzquw7u2d70edhrnqj.png

Dear Customer,

Due to recent system maintanance, all Amazon profile are needed to corroborate their particular infomation.

Please Note If your account isn't vindicated now, it may affect in a temporary suspense.

Unfeignedly,
Amazon Customer Service.
Hover your cursor over the "amazon.com" URL and you'll see it leads to a totally unrelated .in domain -- India, one of the usual suspects in these scams.

For some reason, I'm now hearing "Serve you stylish" in my head being sung to the tune of "Love Me Tender."

Dear Customer,

Unfeignedly,
Amazon Customer Service.
I love the salutation at the end "Unfeignedly"! 😂 That's a new one

Last edited by a moderator:
I get Many scam messages on WhatsApp from people claiming to be students and asking me if im Mr David the music teacher? Or messages saying Hey Mr López is your trip ok? Or messages saying Hi Emely can you cancel my class today??

Heck I got one from some African kid asking me for money for some soccer shoes. And even offered to send me nudes of his girlfriend for money.

and sometimes I get messages from VERIZON to claim my credit for a extra payment I did on my account.

Or a text from TMOBILE saying.

Your payment has been received thank you, here’s a little gift for you for being a loyal customer. And senda me a link.

and sometimes I get messages from VERIZON to claim my credit for a extra payment I did on my account.

Or a text from TMOBILE saying.

Your payment has been received thank you, here’s a little gift for you for being a loyal customer. And senda me a link.
Traces back to an Italian domain, no doubt.

The first line has the name on my birth certificate and credit cards, which I would rather not say, so I substituted the name I use here. Also, I have never even visited Louisiana but my cousin is the head women's basketball coach at Tulane.

Hello Vchimpanzee,

Here is the details of the online transaction (Transaction # 5151821), placed on June 13, 2022.

Items in your transaction
After your online transaction is successful, you will notice a preauthorization on your card. If you have any query regarding the transaction, call your relationship manager on +18887868671

The following will be shipped to: E227 Audubon Place Apartments, 103 Alice Dr # 2, Thibodaux, LA 70301, United States

Product

Shipping Method

Est. Arrival

Amount

NOCO GENIUSPRO50, 50-Amp Fully-Automatic Professional Smart Charger, 6V, 12V and 24V Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer

Standard

June 24, 2022

893.12USD

For the charging it depends on what method of delivery you choose. You will be either be charged when the item is shipped, or when they are picked up for delivery.
After your online transaction is successful, you will notice a preauthorization on your card. This is temporary, and your card is not actually processed.

If your transaction contains an item which amount is drop before/on the release date, we will process the lower amount.
You can modify the choice once the transaction is placed. However, if your transaction includes shipping items. you can cancel all or part of the transaction within short period of time before it is processed.

Store pickup can be cancelled at any time.

Transaction Summary

Subtotal:

893.12USD

Shipping:

Packaging:

Estimated Tax:

18.31USD

Your Total

911.44USD

To ensure your safety, the Delivery Agent will drop the package at your doorstep, ring the doorbell and then move back 2 meters while waiting for you to pick your package. If you are in a containment zone, the agent will call you and ask you to take your package from the nearest accessible point while following the same No-Contact delivery process. During a crisis, visual communication tends to cut through the noise more effectively. Messages buried in text are ignored in the best of times. We have seen this consistently with our customers. Assuming products are faulty and noted prerequisites are met, the inadequate merchandise will be supplanted with indistinguishable merchandise. On the off possibilities that indistinguishable merchandise is not accessible, the Buyer my choose to avail a reduction on the tag amount for the inadequate products, or the Buyer might arrange comparable merchandise.

Consider filing this email in an email folder and refraining from printing it, since that would be redundant and a waste of space, time and paper. Just make sure you backup your hard drive.

Back
Top Bottom