Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Phone and email SPAM and SCAM alerts

Well, now I go and get one from "Samantha Lillian", so I guess not.

They're going a different route entirely. Now I have one from "Rkafula". I guess they thought "He's not responding to double first names, so now let's try garbled letters. Better than nothing I guess".

Phone spammers have taken to calling with recorded messages that let you know they are calling on a recorded line. Is it a safe guess that they have taken to the "recorded line" game after trying wire scams, only to have the scams caught by bank wire departments?
    No irony there.

Quote Originally Posted by frankberry View Post

Sadly, there are people who will fall for this scam.
    I receive many calls in which the called ID displays my area code and the first three digits of my cell phone number.
    Since I know nobody with the same prefix as mine, I set my phone up to dismiss all incoming calls which contain my area code AND the first three digits of my number (prefix).
    Frank,
    Just wondering was this a feature built into your phone, and if so what type? Or if this is available as an app, what app is it?

I like the idea of being able to block entire area codes or prefixes, except for possibly work, personal business, friends, or family. Is there any app for Android available that will do that? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
    I like the idea of being able to block entire area codes or prefixes, except for possibly work, personal business, friends, or family. Is there any app for Android available that will do that? Thanks!
    Here is what I did:

Dropped my landline and subscribed to VOIP.com (you need a broadband Internet connection but you do not need a PC). VOIP is my primary phone number and I can filter incoming calls by a wide variety of subjects. If I determine the call is invalid I mark it as 'rejected' and will no longer receive calls from that number (and "number" can be a range, an individual number or whole area codes). If the call is acceptable I either answer it on VOIP using my landline phone instrument or I can forward it to any other number (including my mobile). It is almost foolproof. My pesky calls have dropped from very invasive to practically nil in just a few weeks. Oh, and the cost of the "landline" dropped from $30+/month to just over $6/month. VOIP also maintains a database of reported spam numbers that will result in no connection if they try to call you. You can opt in or out of this feature. You can also refer spam numbers to them if they are not already listed.

If you want to maintain your mobile as a normal "friends only" instrument then just give that number out to family and friends and they can call your mobile direct.

VOIP offers a ton of features you would pay extra for at the phone company and I have had no problem with dropped calls or call quality. If you are interested in this offering go to VOIP.com. And no, I get no compensation for this. Just a free friendly suggestion.

I also run an Android app called Mr. Number on my cell phone which can also perform some of those tasks above.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Nomorobo's basic call blocking is free for landlines; its premium service costs $1.99 a month for iPhone and Android smartphones.

https://www.nomorobo.com
    Plugged into the electric radio

I just got at least my third call since they began from a company that supposedly provides computer tech support. The company is required to notify those of us who were supposedly getting service from them because it is shutting down, and we are supposed to call 888-408-3028.

Quote Originally Posted by landtuna View Post
    Here is what I did:

Dropped my landline and subscribed to VOIP.com.
    Isn't that technically still a landline? I almost did this with Spectrum, but then my phone company offered a deal I couldn't refuse.

Quote Originally Posted by vchimpanzee View Post
    Isn't that technically still a landline? I almost did this with Spectrum, but then my phone company offered a deal I couldn't refuse.
    It is but VOIP can also be wireless (think digital cell phone).

Quote Originally Posted by vchimpanzee View Post
    I just got at least my third call since they began from a company that supposedly provides computer tech support. The company is required to notify those of us who were supposedly getting service from them because it is shutting down, and we are supposed to call 888-408-3028.
    I just got my fourth message from these people in as many days. It costs money to block calls and I don't want to do that.

Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast