• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Phone and email SPAM and SCAM alerts

I've started getting the Spectrum calls and they soon figure out the information I give them is bogus and they hang up.

I've also gotten calls from AT&T, internet, telephone and DirecTV satellite, to change my plan and again, with fake service addresses and fake credit card numbers, they eventually figure I am scamming the scammers and they hang up.

One of my favorite addresses is 1432 Franklin Pike Circle, in Brentwood, TN. They have trouble finding the precise address.

The credit card rate reduction calls? I have a batch of fake credit card numbers, numbers that are mathematically correct, but of course, aren't valid accounts and naturally, fake Social Security numbers.

Every minute they are on the phone with me is a minute they can't be scamming someone who is far more likely to bite.

A few You Tube video sites for some good scam baiting calls:

Kitboga

Wenja92

Pappa Monkey

Hoax Hotel

Gman Scam Patrol

Jim Browning

Got this today:

photo

Mr.Frank Wilson Sr <[email protected]>
Bcc: [email protected]

Fri, Sep 10 at 9:39 AM

--

--
Attention beneficiary.

I would like to inform you that after yesterday's meeting in my office
between the US Embassy and the United Nations, African ECO-WAS, we

have come to the conclusion that you will be compensated with all the
money you lost in the hands of Africans and in particular the NIGERIA
REPUBLIC.

We deposited your fund's check through UBA BANK PLC ($ 4,800,000,000)
through the Western Union department after our last meeting regarding
your fund, All

You can contact the director of Western Union, Dr Dominic Alonso, via
email ([email protected]).

Tel: +2349029667731, he will give you instructions on how to get the
money on a daily basis. Make sure to send him your full information to
avoid making a wrong transfer such as bank transfer.

1. Your full name .....................
2. Your home address ..................
3. Your telephone number ............
4. A copy of your identity card ..................
5. Your age / gender .....................
6. Your job ....................
7. Your country .......................

Even though Mr. Frank Wilson sent $ 5000 on your behalf today, please
contact or call Dr Dominic Alonso OR Whatssapp Tel: +2349029667731
once you receive this email and let him know

to give you the mtcn, sender name and question / answer to select the
$ 5000. Please let us know once you have received all of your money.

Your
Mr. Frank Wilson Sr.

If it's an anonymous caller and/or an unfamiliar phone number, I won't bother answering the phone.:)

Perhaps some of us have far more time?

I find many of the scam calls interesting and perhaps based upon the number of people who really do get scammed, every minute one of those rectum orifices is on the phone with me is a minute they can't reach out and touch someone who falls for it.

I just LOVE it when I get the one about MY Facebook account being hacked!!!
Ummmmm.....Never HAD Facebook.....never WILL have Facebook.....
Go elsewhere, please.....!!!;)

Another one that's been popping up recently is a "Thank You for your recent purchase of $539.95 from (fill in the blank....).....
We need to verify the credit card you used for this transaction......"
You get the idea.......How and WHY people STILL fall for this boggles the mind!!!

Another one that's been popping up recently is a "Thank You for your recent purchase of $539.95 from (fill in the blank....).....
We need to verify the credit card you used for this transaction......"
You get the idea.......How and WHY people STILL fall for this boggles the mind!!!

I get several of those a week, purchases from Amazon, typically.

I get dozens of the final death benefits and the Medicare supplement calls a week. The final death benefits appear to be somewhat legit term insurance policies, most of the call centers are referred people to real insurance brokers. The Medicare supplement calls, I really don't understand how the supplement programs work. I am on Medicare, at my age, and I am required to have Medicare for me to maintain my Tricare for Life, plus I have my BC/BS from my civilian work requirement mostly because of my still-eligible daughter, so these supplement plans simply offer me nothing. Others might not agree, as typical, one's mileage may vary.

Kind of the golden one is the Social Security number scam, where there are law enforcement actions against my Social Security number, triggered by the Toyota Corolla I rented and was found abandoned on the south border of Texas. Kitboga and Wenja92 have milked these scam callers per their YouTube channels. I guess I am not as convincing as Kitboga, for I've never gotten to the point where I have to buy the gift cards with funds withdrawn from my soon-to-be-closed bank accounts.

The problem, Oldie919, is that people do fall for these scams, and there is enough money involved that keeps these scamming call centers in operation. I know, it does boggle the mind, especially with the hundreds of hours of YouTube posts from the scam baiters, that anyone should fall for any of these scams.

But it happens.

I had a friend, now deceased, who fell for the granddaughter needs bail money scam, was fleeced for about two grand in two calls for the same "incident" and was about to send a third increment when, I think it was, the Western Union folks told him he was being scammed. Granted, this was a few years back, before I learned about the several persons with the You Tube videos.

AARP, whether one is supportive and hates, does some work in attempting to let the older folks, well, members, of the issues of these scams.

I get dozens of the final death benefits and the Medicare supplement calls a week. The final death benefits appear to be somewhat legit term insurance policies, most of the call centers are referred people to real insurance brokers. The Medicare supplement calls, I really don't understand how the supplement programs work. I am on Medicare, at my age, and I am required to have Medicare for me to maintain my Tricare for Life, plus I have my BC/BS from my civilian work requirement mostly because of my still-eligible daughter, so these supplement plans simply offer me nothing. Others might not agree, as typical, one's mileage may vary.
Some of these may be legit, but when the caller has a foreign accent or it's automated I'm suspicious. It seems like the legit companies need to start using tactics other than phone calls. If I'm looking for those kinds of services I'd be more likely to believe an ad on TV or radio than a telemarketer, but even some of those may be questionable.

Some of these may be legit, but when the caller has a foreign accent or it's automated I'm suspicious. It seems like the legit companies need to start using tactics other than phone calls.

I agree.

I've stayed on the phone with some of the insurance marketers, to the point where I have been transferred to persons whom I believe are legit insurance folks. One, regarding the possibility of reductions in motor vehicle insurance rates, actually transferred to a USAA agent. Another call, I was transferred to a State Farm agent in the Norfolk, VA area. I looked up that agency's number and called them back and got the same agent.

It appears that a number of insurance operations are paying these off-shore call centers for referrals. I talked with one agent who was in south Florida and he told me he paid about 12 dollars per referral and did indicate he could get a refund for bad referrals.

I've broken character with some of the agents and asked them about these referral calls. Many of them claim they have no idea how they get the calls, it is all handled at the corporate level and they know a fair percentage of them are bummer calls, perhaps other people like me - playing with them. One question I've asked, in regards to the referrals, is that why are they using call centers which, for probably 50% of the incoming calls to me, the Caller ID information is for numbers which are not in service. Most of the insurance agents either claim they don't know about it and in some cases, their position has been essentially, who gives a crap, are you going to buy the product or not? It seems that many don't really care where the referrals are coming from, but I guess they sell enough policies that they make up in a few commissions to cover the bogus calls from people like me.

Of course, I am a bit to blame, since I use a series of bogus names and addresses, even giving them 202-762-1401 as a good call back number. One of my bogus addresses is 1432 Franklin Pike Circle and after one call center "rep" trying to figure where that exact house number was in Brentwood, TN., he came back to me and said "Funny, Bobby Russell", I told him he was good, that he figured out the address.

I've also used 1432 Victory Liner Drive, especially if the scammers sound Filipino, and when they say they can't find the address, I tell them it is a new street in whichever town I am using, and the house is at the intersection of Victory Liner Drive and Rabbit Road. Victory Liner and Philippine Rabbit are the names of the two more popular intercity bus lines on Luzon. Some catch on and some don't. My spouse speaks Tagalog and she has had some not-so-nice words with the Filipino call centers

In some cases, the numbers displayed on the Caller ID information are real numbers, but not associated with the scammers. Two, that I remember, were Pentagon extensions. One was a lady who was working from home and her office number was forwarded to her cell phone. Another, an enlisted troop, was at his office in the Pentagon, and I actually called him back with my Caller ID information unblocked and as a veteran, we chatted a bit and I explained how I reached his extension.

With that said, some of the scammers/spammers are doing web searches on the numbers, for I've had them ask for me by name, my real name and they know my Zip® code. I will assume they are getting this information from web searching on phone numbers. Unfortunately, there is a lot of information out there. I just did a search on a name of someone whom I worked with in broadcasting and one of the hits on that name is a series of posts from Radio Discussions!

By the way, there are a number of legit call centers in the Philippines. Last year when we were having troubles with getting my wife home from her visit in the Philippines, I knew the United rep was a Tagalog speaker and we chatted a little in my really bad Tagalog and he figured my wife was Filipino and he worked on getting her return flight booked to our best advantage.

If I'm looking for those kinds of services I'd be more likely to believe an ad on TV or radio than a telemarketer, but even some of those may be questionable.

Again, I agree.

Last edited:
One place where I know the call is definitely a scammer is when I yell "HELLOOO SCAMMER!!!" and they go into a cussing fit with every other word beginning with F. :D

Something I've discovered lately that seems to work is to hold down on a phone key to send a constant tone. They hang up pretty fast on that. :p

Here's one you might come across (and I quote):
"Your electric power company will suspend services in 30 to 45 minutes, we'll connect you to a hotline (or representative)". At first it seemed legitimate, but the last time I or my family has been remotely behind on that would be decades ago, and they would've sent it through the mail first. Also, the phone numbers don't match up. Also, our light still work :p

PayPal

Dear Customer,

Thankyou for your order! We have provided your order invoice information below, but you can also track on your order at the order detail page.

The invoice details will show up in your statement within 48 hours.

Here’s your invoice details:

Description Amount

Paid to Mr Charlie Williams : US$ 1496.91

Item Price : US$ 498.97

Quantity : 3

Total Amount : USD 1496.91

If you have any concern regarding the transaction or review, please update on 1-877-650-3440

Warm Regards,

PayPal

Number one, I cancelled my PayPal account and no longer have access to the email address I used because we were required to upgrade to an email account we had to pay for, which I didn't do because I have plenty of free email addresses.

Number two, how did they get this email address?

Number three, I do not know a Charlie Williams.

Number four, this is PayPal's email address. [email protected]

PayPal

Dear Customer,

Thankyou for your order! We have provided your order invoice information below, but you can also track on your order at the order detail page.

The invoice details will show up in your statement within 48 hours.

Here’s your invoice details:

Description Amount

Paid to Mr Charlie Williams : US$ 1496.91

Item Price : US$ 498.97

Quantity : 3

Total Amount : USD 1496.91

If you have any concern regarding the transaction or review, please update on 1-877-650-3440

Warm Regards,

PayPal

Got the same garbage as well, but with different dollar amounts stated. I just block the sender every time I get an email like this and hope that it will hold the scammer off for a while.

Lately I've been getting fake texts that say they're from AT&T, offering me a free gift if I'll just click on the link.

I don't even open the text. I gets immediately deleted.

If they were actually from AT&T, they wouldn't come from a regular phone number. That's one hint.

Friday, I received a phone call from someone who said they were returning a call from me. So far, so good, except I did not recall dialing the number on the Caller ID information

I had a nice chat with a lady who said she relied on her telephone for her business and had to answer all calls, so it would not be unusual for her to call back calls she might not have answered.

In discussing this with her, I asked her the number which she said was from the Caller ID and the number she used to call me, and yes, it was one of my numbers, but it was my area code 703 Vonage virtual phone number. To the best of my knowledge, I cannot make an outgoing call with that 703 number in the outgoing Caller ID information. It certainly appears that some spammer has spoofed my number, well, at least, once.

The Vonage FAQ for virtual numbers alludes to outgoing calls:

A Vonage Virtual Number allows you to have a local area code and phone number in another state or country. This means you can make calls, and be reached by people with the same area code, for the price of a local call. Note that your U.S. phone number will remain your primary Vonage number.

I will have to check my Vonage information regarding ways to make an outgoing call with the virtual number in the Caller ID information.

Friday, I received a phone call from someone who said they were returning a call from me. So far, so good, except I did not recall dialing the number on the Caller ID information

I had a nice chat with a lady who said she relied on her telephone for her business and had to answer all calls, so it would not be unusual for her to call back calls she might not have answered.

In discussing this with her, I asked her the number which she said was from the Caller ID and the number she used to call me, and yes, it was one of my numbers, but it was my area code 703 Vonage virtual phone number. To the best of my knowledge, I cannot make an outgoing call with that 703 number in the outgoing Caller ID information. It certainly appears that some spammer has spoofed my number, well, at least, once.

The Vonage FAQ for virtual numbers alludes to outgoing calls:

A Vonage Virtual Number allows you to have a local area code and phone number in another state or country. This means you can make calls, and be reached by people with the same area code, for the price of a local call. Note that your U.S. phone number will remain your primary Vonage number.

I will have to check my Vonage information regarding ways to make an outgoing call with the virtual number in the Caller ID information.
A few years back when there were tons of spam texts being sent in the area where I live, I got a text message out of the blue from someone who asked me to stop texting them with spam and advertisements. Funny thing is, I'd been receiving spam from their number as well. I texted back, tried to explain what I thought was happening and sent them screenshots of the crap I'd been receiving (supposedly) from their phone number, which they say they hadn't sent or seen before. After that it stopped, but we agreed to just block each others' numbers if it continued.

Got the same garbage as well, but with different dollar amounts stated. I just block the sender every time I get an email like this and hope that it will hold the scammer off for a while.
i checked PayPal's web site to see what they had. It was difficult to find anything that didn't require signing in, and since I no longer have an account, that's not an option. I finally found an email address. The response was canned and suggested I use whatever features were available to those with accounts, but it seemed like they would investigate.

i checked PayPal's web site to see what they had. It was difficult to find anything that didn't require signing in, and since I no longer have an account, that's not an option. I finally found an email address. The response was canned and suggested I use whatever features were available to those with accounts, but it seemed like they would investigate.

I have this email address regarding spoofing:

[email protected]

I forward all the PayPal related scam stuff to them. I usually get replies, but I don't know what they can realistically do about the spam emails.

Outlook has been known for giving me an insane amount of junk emails. It hasn't been this bad for a long time. In 10 days, I've had 1,700 junk emails. Amusing highlights include Ukrainian girls wanting to have internet sex, a promotion from "Capiltal's One" (!?), and stuff like this:

junkmail 1.JPGjunkmail 2.JPG

2 *MUNITES*!?! "Immediatly"?! Oh, and there's one more in another post...

Back
Top Bottom