• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Programming Disputes Thread

Here's one deal that got made without a dispute. ;)

Cablevision, CBS Sign Content Pact

Cablevision Systems and CBS said they have agreed to a broad-based, multi-year content carriage agreement that covers retransmission consent for CBS-owned stations, continued carriage of Showtime, CBS Sports Network and Smithsonian Channel and makes Cablevision the first pay-TV provider to announce plans to distribute CBS All Access and Showtime streaming services to broadband (Optimum Online) customers.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/cable-operators/cablevision-cbs-sign-content-pact/393229

NASDAQ.com has an article on its website dealing with the now-collapsed negotiations. This is not going to be pretty.

Around here in Western WA, KOMO-TV is off dish for the second time in just over 5 years, and the last time out (Fisher Broadcasting owned the station then) they were off dish for over 5 months. On the other hand, co-owned sister station KUNS-TV (Univision) is still on dish for now.

So two of the four Sinclair stations in the Mobile, AL DMA have been pulled from Dish.
NBC, WPMI 15, and Indie WJTC 44 are still on a dish.
ABC, WEAR 3, and My, WFGX 35, are pulled.

...retransmission consent carriage fees from each Dish subscriber wanting to carry Sinclair Broadcast Group TV stations as a way to further engage in old rigid Paramount Pictures block booking & blind bidding by tying and old rigid RKO General bribery and other dishonest behavioral practices in negotiating on retransmission consent deals with Dish in the telecommunications industry with Dish carrying the Sinclair Broadcast Group TV stations when it couldn't agree to strict rigorous contracts by Sinclair Broadcast Group just to get what it want in negotiation payments for carriage fees from the Sinclair Broadcast Group TV stations very badly in retransmission consent contract deals with Dish and other MSOs in the telecommunications industry...

Please tell me what on earth anti-trust concerns about theaters from 1948 have to do with television in 2015, because I have no idea what point you're trying to make here.

Meanwhile in Wisconsin, this affects Fox in Green Bay and Madison (not so fun come the start of the Packer season), and CW/MyNet in Milwaukee (nothing really missed as CW streams their shows and most of their syndicated product is bad, while MyNet could take a massive hit from this). For SBG's Fox, CBS and NBC stations settling up before the NFL season is crucial, while they have a bit of leeway with their ABC and CW stations. The lousy negotiators at Dish though are more to blame here; how is it Charter's only carriage issues are usually from little watched cable channels, while Dish could easily pull off even Free Speech TV for looking at them funny?

KIMA-TV (CBS) and DT-2 (CW) are gone from Dish as well. Yuck. Better get this negotiation settled with before the NFL season starts, or there will be a lot of pi$$ed off fans, both AFC and NFC.

-crainbebo

If Sinclair had pulled WPMI NBC 15 off the air I wouldn't be worried. If they keep WEAR ABC 3 off the air it will impact SEC football in a week.
Why did Sinclair only pull some stations?

Time to hook up the OTA tuner dongle that plugs into my Hopper.

The Sinclair-Dish dispute is over: ;)

Dish, Sinclair Reach Retrans Deal

About a day after its 129 broadcast stations went dark and mere hours after Federal Communications Commission Chairman Tom Wheeler called for an emergency meeting to reach an end to their dispute, Dish Network and Sinclair Broadcast Group said they have reached an agreement and that restoration of the Sinclair signals to Dish subscribers is underway.

In a statement, Dish and Sinclair said they have agreed to a short-term extension on their existing retrans agreement as they finalize negotiations. The parties say they have reached an agreement in principal for the stations in 79 markets across the country.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/satellite/dish-sinclair-reach-retrans-deal/393267

Good! NFL season is around the corner and hopefully Sinclair and Dish won't butt heads for a long time.

-crainbebo

In the Jackson, Miss. market, CBS affiliate Ch. 12 WJTV was running a tag line at the bottom of the screen about not being able to see CBS or CW. I saw it was a Media General station but the CW on DirectTV in this area is out of Washington DC on No. 14. The Media General CW Mississippi is a 12.2 subchannel - not available on DirectTV. What are they trying to pull. Saying if the viewers want to see CBS & CW on DirectTV they need to call them before Sept. 30. Am I missing something?

Tribune Braces for Blackout on U-verse

Tribune Media has begun warning viewers that they could lose programming from their TV station if they are AT&T U-verse subscribers at the end of the month.

On Tribune-owned WGN-TV’s website in Chicago, the station urges viewers to call AT&T.

“Let them know how important WGN is to you, and that you do not want its programming to be interrupted,” Tribune says. The website also suggests viewers could get an antenna or switch to a different pay-TV provider.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/currency/tribune-braces-blackout-u-verse/144472

I watch "Roy's Folks" on WGHP Greensboro NC. I can only get that with an antenna because Time Warner dropped it in my area a few years ago, though it is on Time Warner in the next county. I'm in WJZY's territory. However, Roy is not consistently on the 5:00 news at the time I watch any more and I don't have the capability to record from an antenna at this time, so being told it is on one of their newscasts isn't helpful. So I go to the web site from time to time and yesterday, there was a big green warning for U-Verse customers.

WGN can go sink in the river and lake out there after the screw up the other day. Showing Nazi symbols during a news story about Yom Kippur.

I don't know anything about the Nazi symbols on Yom Kippur but years ago, when I had cable TV, I always thought WGN was very inappropriate for a nationwide TV service. They showed almost nothing but old reruns and their news programs (I'm stifling a major smirk here) consisted almost solely of local-to-Chicago news. Compared with their superstation competition in ATL WGN was a waste of a channel to those of us living outside Chicagoland.

Back
Top Bottom