• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Musicradio 1300

It's Mono.
If you need some input about setting up your C-QUAM exciter, please send me a PM. I have lots of experience with it and can give you some good advice to obtain the best performance.

Frank

Thanks Frank....I'll PM ya....I have NO RF output on the rear and no meter movement with audio applied......also the 1310 monitor does not like the dipswitch settings....with the R2670 svc monitor feeding it, it was deaf but did show reaction when I dialed down the band and hit 880!! WEIRD..

From AllAccess:

The FCC also issued a short-term renewal of two years of PROCTER-WILLIAMS, INC.'s license for silent KSET-A/LUMBERTON-BEAUMONT, TX due to extended periods of silence punctuated by very brief returns to the air, the practice upon which the Commission is frowning.* "Although PWI faced a number of difficulties beyond its control and sought Commission authorization for each of the Station's periods of silence, we cannot find that the Station served the public interest, convenience and necessity during the license term due to the extended periods of non-operation," the Commission wrote.* The station's sale to CHRISTOPHER BOONE's SOUTHEAST TEXAS TELECOM, LLC for $100 was approved, and that sale has already closed.

Also, good job with the stream. The higher quality link is now 256 KBPS/44100 Hz. :)

From AllAccess:

The FCC also issued a short-term renewal of two years of PROCTER-WILLIAMS, INC.'s license for silent KSET-A/LUMBERTON-BEAUMONT, TX due to extended periods of silence punctuated by very brief returns to the air, the practice upon which the Commission is frowning.* "Although PWI faced a number of difficulties beyond its control and sought Commission authorization for each of the Station's periods of silence, we cannot find that the Station served the public interest, convenience and necessity during the license term due to the extended periods of non-operation," the Commission wrote.* The station's sale to CHRISTOPHER BOONE's SOUTHEAST TEXAS TELECOM, LLC for $100 was approved, and that sale has already closed.

Yep...all paperwork has been filed and the FCC was notified of resumption of operations...NOW onto the studio build and getting CQUAM on the air..

Tnx Mouse for the note about the Stream...I was not aware of the Rate=1 was stereo.....NCH did not answer any inquiries...

So those wanting the stereo stream
http://107.215.175.52:88/broadwave.mp3?src=1&rate=1 does it

Appreciate the shorter link Joe....

I DID find out that the higher bandwidth sucks on cellphones that have lost their full speed. I have Cricket's 2.5GB plan (35/month) right now...Planning to go to their 10GB for $50/month next month!.....but I DLed a LARGE file around the 1st of the month and it went over the limit..so I am throttled at 200kb right now....instead of 5MB DL....and so the high bandwidth stream was stuttering in the Escape..may find a way to lower the rate from the current speed so my cell phone can listen without sputtering... (of course I listen to the AM side when in range.....next up, the CQUAM)

I downloaded BroadWave and looked in the settings. Under general, there are some options to adjust the quality levels for the two streams. In the free version, the dial-up stream can be increased to 40 KBPS/16000 Hz, if you go above 24 KBPS for the dialup setting it automatically changes to stereo. The sample rate also automatically goes up with the bit rate setting for the broadband stream. The sample rate and channel settings can't be controled though, only bit rates.
I would suggest using, say, a 64 or 48 KBPS AAC+ stream for lower quality connections. AAC+ sounds much better than MP3 at low quality compression levels, but that format doesn't seem possible with the free version of BroadWave. BroadWave is probably the easiest free streaming solution to set up that I've tried, though.

Can't wait till I am in the area, and can pick KSET up with a radio so I can see how good it must sound on AM. It really is awesome how you were able to get ahold of this station like that. :D

Last edited:
By the way, here is the stream for my part 15 low power FM station. I also have two quality levels, one MP3 the other AAC Plus. Tell me if you guys can notice much difference. They're listed on the following page. Let's hope it doesn't fall down temporarily.
http://cool.humanslike.me:8008

I'm using a program called AltaCast which is connected to an Icecast Streaming server that I have running on the same computer. It's trickier to set up than BroadWave because you're dealing with two apps, not just one. Both programs are free however.
Here are links to both AltaCast and Icecast. If anyone wants help with setting them up, message me. Altacast can also connect to Shoutcast servers.
http://www.altacast.com/
http://icecast.org/

Last edited:
By the way, here is the stream for my part 15 low power FM station. I also have two quality levels, one MP3 the other AAC Plus. Tell me if you guys can notice much difference. They're listed on the following page. Let's hope it doesn't fall down temporarily.
http://cool.humanslike.me:8008

Sorry mouse. Neither stream would open. Just get an error message saying "We're sorry. An error occurred. Please try again."

Now they work. The MP3 easily opens in the browser. The aac had to be opened with VLC.

From experience 32kbps AAC+ is perfectly acceptable, sounds pretty close to a 128 kbps MP3.

64kbps in AAC+ is just uselessly high.

32kbps will work on the lousiest data connection (Think 1 bar of Edge)

I downloaded BroadWave and looked in the settings. Under general, there are some options to adjust the quality levels for the two streams. In the free version, the dial-up stream can be increased to 40 KBPS/16000 Hz, if you go above 24 KBPS for the dialup setting it automatically changes to stereo. The sample rate also automatically goes up with the bit rate setting for the broadband stream. The sample rate and channel settings can't be controled though, only bit rates.
I would suggest using, say, a 64 or 48 KBPS AAC+ stream for lower quality connections. AAC+ sounds much better than MP3 at low quality compression levels, but that format doesn't seem possible with the free version of BroadWave. BroadWave is probably the easiest free streaming solution to set up that I've tried, though.

Can't wait till I am in the area, and can pick KSET up with a radio so I can see how good it must sound on AM. It really is awesome how you were able to get ahold of this station like that. :D

Mouse, looked at the config page...any suggestions to slow the bit rate down somewhat in the broadband version so my phone can listen to it at 200kb/s??? I have to go do some IT work and dont have time to play with it right now...but DO want to get it where I can hear it stereo in the Escape while streaming....(have to pull the radio out and put the Meduci board in it for CQUAM this weekend)

Of course the REAL range is half inside the lines...as RL does NOT use the real FCC levels.....the LOCAL is actually the distant coverage....if you draw another line half way inside the RED line, you get the REAL local coverage....

Thats About Right, I've actually found if you just halve the circles thats more or less real coverage.
Atleast that's how it is for the AM I'm at. Local Coverage prediction is about spot on for mine though. With the Distant and fringes being about half.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom