Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of the original 1965 KHJ Boss Jocks are still with us now?

Hot Hits
    Quote Originally Posted by K.M. Richards View Post
    My recollection is that it wasn't until KGBS-FM went automated as the AM became KTNQ that there was any voicetracking done for the Country format ... but I do remember voicetracks getting out of sequence as Steve recalled in the post ahead of yours, Scott.

If you think it's a matter that needs to be decided, I can always ask Bob.
    It would be neat to know when Bob (Morgan) did mornings, how many Minuteman news announcers they had and if he ever did news, what led to Landry doing afternoons, when voice tracking was used as Bill Balance did live breaks & introduced my family while we were standing there,(let me push the Love Angeles sounder) and when Dave Hull started in afternoons, he was just too much! 440Fun has a ? for Hull's time there.

Banned
    Ultimajock, the Chris Lane at WYNE was not the Chris Lane from KGBS/KHTZ. And there was a third Chris Lane, a female news anchor who worked at KFI a few years ago. The KGBS/KHTZ Chris Lane began in radio at WMMT in McMinnville, Tennessee. He also worked at KISN, KJR, KYA, WJJD, WIL, WOKY, KEGL, KFOX, XEPRS (voice-tracked), KLAC and KNX. Whew!

I remember one of Chris Lane's voice-tracked programs where he announced a song by Crystal Gayle: "It's 4:00 and here is an appropriate song to begin the hour." Then he played Talking In Your Sleep. Yeah, that's fine.....but the song begins with "Three o'clock in the morning." Three o'clock. I also remember Lane playing the Kendalls' first hit, Heaven's Just A Sin Away and calling them a "father-son duo." It was Royce and his daughter Jeannie. His daughter.

K.M. Richards
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomps2525 View Post
    The KGBS/KHTZ Chris Lane began in radio at WMMT in McMinnville, Tennessee. He also worked at KISN, KJR, KYA, WJJD, WIL, WOKY, KEGL, KFOX, XEPRS (voice-tracked), KLAC and KNX.
    The XEPRS gig wasn't a real gig. They were the test station for the syndicated automated format "Big Country" in the late 1970s, and Chris did middays.

To bring this thread closer to where it started, Bob Morgan did afternoon drive on that format.

BigCountry1977.jpg
    Click to see full size
    Last edited by K.M. Richards; 07-17-2015 at 06:26 PM. Reason: corrected timeslots

Banned
    Will you allow me to bring this thread farther from where it started? Bill Earl, the KRLA-1110 historian and author of When Radio Was Boss and the KRLA history Dream-House toured the XEPRS transmitter site many years ago. (He invited me to go with him but I declined. He asked again, telling me, "This is your chance to visit a foreign country." I don't share Bill's interest in transmitter sites.....and that would not have been much of a "visit" anyway.) An engineer gave Bill a copy of a 90-minute voice-tracked Rick Ward program for 1974. Bill made a copy for me. This is when XEPRS had an oldies format. In the early '70s, the station played r&b and was known as "The Soul Express." I remember listening to XEPRS during the "Big Country Express" era. I think the playlist each week had only 30 to 40 songs. When DJs recorded voice tracks for XEPRS, were they used only once or were they re-used? The tracks on the Rick Ward tape are very basic, mostly just identifying song titles and artists. There were no time checks and nothing topical.

Hot Hits
    That is about the time Rick went to prison for his Bootleg Oldies Cassettes he peddled on KIEV & XEPRS (his only commercial). You should have visited the XEPRS transmitter site of all sites. How could you not be interested? The Studios for XEPRS moved to the Hollywood Max Factor building in the mid 70's. I met Bill Byrd who did afternoons and might have been P.D. at the Hollywood Sizzler near Vine with another radio buddy.
    Sent this to Don a few months ago from Billboard about Ward who claimed on the old R-I it never happened???

Story found on General News Page 1 column 4 and Page 6, column 4, "Taxe named In 2 Suits", "Taxe 3 others land Jail sentences":

https://books.google.com/books?id=Pg...&dq=six+months +and+a+$2,000+fine+and+Rick+Ward,+nine+months+and+ a+$2,000+fine,+started&source=bl&ots=gs4lDgMQc9&si g=b5fBbmAjubnjfvx0zNcXfLo-oY8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=0jVAVbnUIYfgoASo4oGQDw&ved=0CCEQ 6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=six%20months%20and%20a%20%242%2 C000%20fine%20and%20Rick%20Ward%2C%20nine%20months %20and%20a%20%242%2C000%20fine%2C%20started&f=fals e
    Last edited by Hot Hits; 07-18-2015 at 12:29 AM.

K.M. Richards
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomps2525 View Post
    Will you allow me to bring this thread farther from where it started?
    I have learned that saying "no" to that question never stops you from doing so anyway, Steve.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Hits View Post
    The Studios for XEPRS moved to the Hollywood Max Factor building in the mid 70's.
    And sometime in late 1976 the station was leased to Teddy Fregoso and it moved to the 20-story building at the corner of Sunset & Vine and went Spanish. The programming was taped, and broadcast the next day from the site in Baja.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Just want to say thank you. As a long time radio fan (and yes, I was listening to KHJ in the 50's and 60's), it's threads like this that make this site a daily stop for me. The 'inside' history and current news which the 'regulars' here provide is SOOO appreciated.

Banned
    Just want to say "You're welcome." After President Kennedy was assassinated on November 22, 1963, KHJ dropped music and provided full-time news coverage until Kennedy's funeral three days later. When KHJ returned to music, it was very low-key, mostly instrumentals and ballads. Do you remember listening to Steve Allen on KHJ? In 1945-46, Allen hosted a daily 15-minute comedy program called Smile Time with Wendell Noble and June Foray (who would later become famous as the voice of Rocky the Flying Squirrel). In the early '60s, Steve Allen and his wife Jayne Meadows hosted a mid-morning show which was broadcast from their home. Robert Q. Lewis, a panelist on dozens of television game shows, hosted mornings for a year or so. I'm wracking my brain trying to think of who else was on KHJ back then. Hey, I was just a itty-bitty kid! And besides, I was listening mostly to Color Radio Channel 98, KFWB.

Hot Hits
    To think that KHJ once employed a fulltime 50 piece orchestra and a staff that just operated the Turntable!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast