• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What is Real Country?

If they're playing it on a country station, then it by definition "passes for country." Otherwise they wouldn't play it.
I wish people wouldn't use that argument. Of course, with classic country you've got Crystal Gayle instead of Taylor Swift, but the point is, when the songs are newer, there is a higher standard to meet.
The Eagles had a Top 10 country hit in 1975 with "Lyin' Eyes." Of course Conway Twitty recorded their hit "Heartache Tonight." His version wasn't much different from theirs.
I like Conway's better. I like the more easygoing material from The Eagles. While I'm sure WBRF could get away with "Heartache Tonight" and maybe even "Life in the Fast Lane" on their "Outlaw Drive at Five" which includes Skynyrd, I'd prefer they didn't.

I wish people wouldn't use that argument. Of course, with classic country you've got Crystal Gayle instead of Taylor Swift, but the point is, when the songs are newer, there is a higher standard to meet.
I like Conway's better. I like the more easygoing material from The Eagles. While I'm sure WBRF could get away with "Heartache Tonight" and maybe even "Life in the Fast Lane" on their "Outlaw Drive at Five" which includes Skynyrd, I'd prefer they didn't.

In the mid to late 70s there were some acts that were decidedly NOT Country! "Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show" comes to mind.

Getting back to the original topic, the station that has been Real Country for a year, which I believe is using mostly the Cumulus format called that, played a couple of songs yesterday that I would have said I didn't care for, but they actually didn't seem so bad.

The first few notes gave me the impression I wouldn't like it. After it was over the DJ said it was Brooks & Dunn, which generally means I won't like it. "Cowgirls Don't Cry" was apparently the title. But it actually sounded pretty good, and with most of the songs actually sounding good, I can live with it.

"How Do You Like Me Now?" played a few minutes later. Well, back then, I didn't. I was surprised at how good it sounds now.

A recorded voice rather than a DJ announced the country legend of the day. It was Hank Williams Jr., and chances are it was going to be good. it was.

I started a format in the early to mid 1990's using traditional country from the 60's, 70's, and 80's and a few current 90's. At the time we were not sure what to call it. While talking to a friend about the format I told him I wanted real Country music, so that's what I called it. At that time I had never heard anybody use that term before.

I started a format in the early to mid 1990's using traditional country from the 60's, 70's, and 80's and a few current 90's. At the time we were not sure what to call it. While talking to a friend about the format I told him I wanted real Country music, so that's what I called it. At that time I had never heard anybody use that term before.
I know SMN had Real Country in 1991. A station stunted using most of the SMN formats, one each day, plus talk on one occasion.

I have a new answer for the question and its the one that I will forever stick with. To me, real country music is the late beautiful precious Billy Joe Royal. I could listen to him all day, I love him SO much!!!

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

P.S. If only I had discovered that complete and total package sooner..........

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom