• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wow 99.1 Phoenix drops Dance music

As of 12am Midnight looks like Wow 99.1 KOWO-LP Phoenix, Arizona has dropped the Dance music format. They are now playing Eddie Money, Billy Joel, Jackson Browne, Cyndi Lauper, Billy Joel, Xtreme and etc. 80's/90's Hits...but been hearing more 80's than anything so far.

As of 12am Midnight looks like Wow 99.1 KOWO-LP Phoenix, Arizona has dropped the Dance music format. They are now playing Eddie Money, Billy Joel, Jackson Browne, Cyndi Lauper, Billy Joel, Xtreme and etc. 80's/90's Hits...but been hearing more 80's than anything so far.

Ridiculous...btw, do we know when 90.7/92.7 Pulse is moving to 88.7? Thx!

Last edited:
Hey 2son, you can hear their format static free on Kiss fm or Radio Disney (Zedd, Taylor Swift, Ariana & Selena)

LOL...no doubt...what are they trying to accomplish? just saying...gosh, I remember when Energy Arizona first came to be (after following Energy in Chicago) and it inspired me to play around with creating my own hobby-type dance station on Live365 up until 2008 because of my love for dance music since the 80's. Well, I can say that as of last night, I decided to hop back on Live365 and reinvigorate that old hobby. There's something beautiful about having the ability to promote creative musical artists who unfortunately are often overlooked in favor of the lowest common denominator.

that was why I left KVIT. I couldn't get my point across to own the dance format. At WOW I had that ability, but this recent news is quite disappointing and hasty in my opinion. You can't gauge the success or lack of from just 6 months. We were still fine tuning, and in the process of gaining more fans, but the squeaky wheel always get the grease. That's what happens when you have non radio people influencing the PD to play songs that they are more familiar with.....sigh

That's what happens when you have non radio people influencing the PD to play songs that they are more familiar with.....sigh

Those "non-radio people" are called "listeners" and the radio station is supposed to get as many of those as possible.

Not in this case. I was referring to either friends or volunteers of the station with no background of real radio. There is no point in playing the same songs heard on big sticks static free and expect listeners to stick around for the fuzz on a LPFM. They were better off with a niche format that isn't covered on the dial which made them more desirable as a preset.

There is no point in playing the same songs heard on big sticks static free and expect listeners to stick around for the fuzz on a LPFM.

Well, in that case I will disagree with you on purely ideological grounds.

I believe that the FCC created LPFM with the intent of giving voice to community-based programming, not to program niche musical formats (although in some isolated cases there are communities for which specific sub-genres of World Music could be considered as fulfilling that community need).

In my opinion, therefore, neither the old format nor the new format are fulfilling the FCC's intent.

Well, in that case I will disagree with you on purely ideological grounds.

I believe that the FCC created LPFM with the intent of giving voice to community-based programming, not to program niche musical formats (although in some isolated cases there are communities for which specific sub-genres of World Music could be considered as fulfilling that community need).

In my opinion, therefore, neither the old format nor the new format are fulfilling the FCC's intent.

Let me chime in here. "Giving voice to community-based programming" is such a gray area. Is community-based programming based upon the economic, political, social, or inner/spiritual (or any and all) needs of individuals in a community or simply diverse groups within a community? How do you truly define community-based? Sub-genres of World Music are in my opinion, no less or more fulfilling to community needs than any other type of music that has the potential to tap into a unique individual's or community's "needs". Furthermore, to imply that music or niche musical formats have no effect on individuals or communities is absurd. Lastly, LPFM's were created at a time when full-power stations were slowly becoming clones of each other, station consolidation was becoming more prevalent and radio empires were snuggling in bed with the big record labels. LPFM's helped to offset this.

I knew something was wrong! This sucks! I loved hearing all of those 90s to early 2000s dance songs that they would spin. As the months went by, the station played more and more dance tracks and less of the pop stuff. And now as of this week they drop it completely!

Looks like the valley of the sun just hates dance music...

Time to change my presets.

Thx for noticing! I really gave it my all, and for the record the valley does not hate Dance, there are just not enough people like us who are vocal about it. Even though WOW is just a LPFM, I know there were listeners. But trying to convince sponsors of that is a challenge, especially when they are accustomed to music on Mix96.9 or Hot97.5. Perhaps management feels this Jack format will generate sponsors?

Thx for noticing! I really gave it my all, and for the record the valley does not hate Dance, there are just not enough people like us who are vocal about it. Even though WOW is just a LPFM, I know there were listeners. But trying to convince sponsors of that is a challenge, especially when they are accustomed to music on Mix96.9 or Hot97.5. Perhaps management feels this Jack format will generate sponsors?

But that's what 95.5 The Mountain already does...who wants to tune into a LPFM and hear the same music but with static? I don't get it??

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom