• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Women In Country Music Controversy

What does everyone here think about what's been said lately about women in country music? Go here to read about it if you don't already know about it.

I don't agree with how that man feels, but I will say that I do feel bad for him. Its obvious that very few people agree with him if anyone does at all and I've seen messages from people elsewhere online who think that he should apologize for having such an opinion. To me, that man doesn't owe anyone anything. He had the right to share his opinion and just because so many people have a different opinion compared to his doesn't mean that he should have kept his opinion to himself especially if no one else is going to keep quiet and to me, those who decide to get worked up over another person's opinion only bring more attention to it when they decide to say anything about it at all and for all we know, getting people all bent out of shape may have been that man's every intention and if it was, what that man wanted was presented to him on a silver platter, not to mention getting all bent out of shape over what another person says only adds more value to that person's two cents and in my opinion, one person's opinion isn't supposed to be worth more than another person's opinion.

God bless you and him always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. Also to me, if one person is not going to apologize for how they feel about something, they shouldn't expect anyone else to. Asking someone to do what you are not willing to do yourself will only make you look like a hypocrite.

It’s true that female artists or bands are way outnumbered week-after-week on today’s Country Top 40 charts. There hasn’t been a female act with a #1 song yet this year.

It’s true that female artists or bands are way outnumbered week-after-week on today’s Country Top 40 charts. There hasn’t been a female act with a #1 song yet this year.

Maddie & tae "girl in a country song" was #1 in december which is part of the 2015 chart yr since its run from dec14-nov15.

Ashley moore is credited with blake shelton on the #1 "lonely tonight."

Kelsea ballerina with "love me like you mean it" looks to have a good shot at #1 in a few wks.

My take is that popular music is not an equal opportunity thing. There are no quotas. People like it or they don't. If they like your music, it gets played. If not, it doesn't. Simple as that.

If the people who listen to country radio want to hear more female artists, then they'll go out and support them actively, buy their music, attend their concerts, and request their songs at the radio station. Because right now, they're mainly doing that for male artists. The fans have to take charge here. There are only a handful of female artists who get the kind of passionate support you see for the men: Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, and Miranda Lambert. And they're the ones who get played.

Lately country radio has been for women.

Not that the current situation is any better. If this "bro" trend is attracting more men, it doesn't really matter because that sound isn't any better than the female-friendly sound of recent years.

Too many artists on Today's Country have a pop sound and not a country sound, be they male or female. I stopped listening to that and when I want to hear Country Music, and listen to I Heart Radio's Foggy Mountain Country. For my ear a better selection of both male and female country artists. May not be for everyone, but it works for my ear.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity how many female acts hit #1 last year?

we were us - keith urban/miranda lambert

compass - lady antebellum (dont know if you want to count that)

my eyes - blake shelton/gwen sebastian

bartender - lady antebellum (dont know if you want to count that)

thats it.

we were us - keith urban/miranda lambert

compass - lady antebellum (dont know if you want to count that)

my eyes - blake shelton/gwen sebastian

bartender - lady antebellum (dont know if you want to count that)

thats it.
None of those are "female acts". All are acts that include females.

For one week thirty-five years ago, Billboard's top five country songs were all by women:
"It's Like We Never Said Goodbye" by Crystal Gayle
"A Lesson in Leavin'" by Dottie West
"Are You on the Road to Lovin' Me Again" by Debby Boone
"Beneath Still Waters" by Emmylou Harris
"Two Story House" by Tammy Wynette (duet with George Jones)

I wouldn't think a female listener would have a problem with any of these hits, and as a male who was listening to country radio back then, I thought all but the Debby Boone song were quite good.

Last edited:
Of the top 10 songs next wk 5 have girls in them (potter, ballerini, underwood, dunn, little big town)....so not a total disaster.

For one week thirty-five years ago, Billboard's top five country songs were all by women:
"It's Like We Never Said Goodbye" by Crystal Gayle
"A Lesson in Leavin'" by Dottie West
"Are You on the Road to Lovin' Me Again" by Debby Boone
"Beneath Still Waters" by Emmylou Harris
"Two Story House" by Tammy Wynette (duet with George Jones)

I wouldn't think a female listener would have a problem with any of these hits, and as a male who was listening to country radio back then, I thought all but the Debby Boone song were quite good.
The Tammy Wynette/George Jones song I heard some time back, probably on WBRF. As for the others I'm not familiar with these but judging by who they are they must be good.

The Tammy Wynette/George Jones song I heard some time back, probably on WBRF. As for the others I'm not familiar with these but judging by who they are they must be good.

The Dottie West song, "A Lesson In Leavin'," was brought back for a second chart run by Jo Dee Messina in 1999, peaking at No. 2 country, No. 28 pop.

It has been years, but over the weekend I heard "Whiskey Lullaby" by Brad Paisley and Alison Krauss. Such a sad song but such a beutiful song, mainly due to Alison.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom