KFI Tim Conway "What the Hell did Jessie Jackson Say" Racist?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KFI Tim Conway "What the Hell did Jessie Jackson Say" Racist?

KFI Tim Conway "What the Hell did Jessie Jackson Say" Racist?

I had lunch with an African-American friend today and he mentioned that he thought Conway's bit on Jessie Jackson was racist. He noted that Conway seems to delight at mimicking Black dialect. It is always degrading towards Blacks, but he surmised as long he gets a laugh or ratings bump it is OK with KFI. My friend noted that KFI might be screening out the Black callers to his bit as they have an unfair advantage (familiarity with Black dialect) deciphering Jessie Jacksons script!

How do the other listeners feel?

K.M. Richards
    This was actually discussed by Tim Jr. at a Pacific Pioneer Broadcasters luncheon. The "racist" charge has been leveled against him before and on those occasions when he asked the audience about it the consensus was that they want it to continue.

Nice troll try, but no.

Banned
    I think the "Jesse Jackson" game has gone on for far too many years and grown increasingly tiresome but it seems to be popular with the majority of Conway's listeners. Conway is making fun of Jackson for the unintelligible speech, not for the man's race or color. The late sportscaster Jim Healy used to poke fun at certain athletes' mumblings---again, for the unintelligible speech and not because of race or color. What I do think is racist is the description of some people as "African-American." That term not only identifies by them by their color, it implies that they are not true Americans; rather, they are a sub-category. Why can't we all be simply "Americans"?

Quote Originally Posted by LARadioRewind View Post
    I think the "Jesse Jackson" game has gone on for far too many years and grown increasingly tiresome but it seems to be popular with the majority of Conway's listeners. Conway is making fun of Jackson for the unintelligible speech, not for the man's race or color. The late sportscaster Jim Healy used to poke fun at certain athletes' mumblings---again, for the unintelligible speech and not because of race or color. What I do think is racist is the description of some people as "African-American." That term not only identifies by them by their color, it implies that they are not true Americans; rather, they are a sub-category. Why can't we all be simply "Americans"?
    The irony here of course is that it was Jackson himself who coined the term.

It's time to stick a fork in the bit...or update it to "What the hell did Al Sharpton say"? There's a lot more timely material to mine.
    Dr. Akbar 'n Nurse Jeff
    The Middle Eastern Men of the Media
    Buckeye, AZ

Hiring us is a no brainer. In fact, it's a double no brainer!

Hey, he didn't inherit any of his dad's talent, maybe it's the best he can do. (Can you say "one-trick pony"?)

Quote Originally Posted by K.M. Richards View Post
    This was actually discussed by Tim Jr. at a Pacific Pioneer Broadcasters luncheon. The "racist" charge has been leveled against him before and on those occasions when he asked the audience about it the consensus was that they want it to continue.

Nice troll try, but no.
    Why is it when one raises an uncomfortable question they are immediately called a troll? I didn't know there was a list of topics and issues that are not to be discussed here. Perhaps you can share that list with us? We're there any Blacks in the audience at this dinner where this consensus was formed? No, you can't include the wait staff in your consensus!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
    Hey, he didn't inherit any of his dad's talent, maybe it's the best he can do. (Can you say "one-trick pony"?)
    Do you notice he keeps on telling the same old stories over and over again? How many times have we heard the origin of Ding Dong?

Quote Originally Posted by LARadioRewind View Post
    So are you offended by Italian, Jewish, Irish- American monikers?

Finding offense is this century's new defense if you ask me.
    Go watch more movies from the 70's when society wasn't so tightly wound up on language and could still function.
    That would mean several recent generations would have to acknowledge that cinema predated Star Wars and Back To The Future.
    A huge hurdle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast