• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Classic Rock Myrtle Beach

So Myrtle Beach has both Wave 104.1 and Rock 107.1 not many markets have two classic rocks. Rock 107 used to play some newer stuff but went straight classic rock but sounds better then Wave as 104 sounds like the same boring playlist. I feel one will flip and that being Rock 107 cause of their signal. Your guys thoughts.

For me, what works at the Beach, may not work anywhere else. The problem for years with Classic Rock stations is that they are afraid to explore, adding good Rock songs, while resting/shelving others, to lessen the burn of what they have already Burnt, through those years of fear. Auditorium Music Tests are Horse Manure, and only serve as a Consultant's Crutch. After all, they have to have something to flaunt, even though it's as worthless as Tits on a Boar Hog! The audience has grown tired of waiting for change/update/upgrade/up & Adam...better tomorrow, than what they heard today. Skynyrd-Floyd-Zeppelin-Mellencamp,
Skynyrd-Floyd-Van Halen-Journey, Skynyrd-Floyd-Clapton-Foreigner....all the Awww-ful Aerosmith songs, that have one-word titles.....That is not all there is!
When one station decides to Get Hungry, and hire a Proven Programmer, then the other one is bread, hung in the toaster! It is really quite simple!

Last edited:
It was speculated here that WKZQ would move to 107.1. That station is now alternative and doesn't rock as hard as it once did. Though some say it's more active than many alternative stations. WKZQ was down in recent years but it may have recovered. I've forgotten.

Rock 107 sounded strange trying to mix styles.

How can KZQ go from 96.1 to 107.1 because Iheartmedia owns 107.1. 96.1kzq is owned by Digity Media.

I think Rock 107.1 sounds good now more of a classic rock format now. Not a big fan of 96.1 I first thought it was going ESPN RADIO with Mike and Mike.

Even Radio lives off of the Tourism. That market, and its Summer book fascinates me. You coast in the Winter months, and bet it all, when it gets HOT. I guess most of the Classic Rock songs are medium-to-Up Tempo. Truly the soundtrack for the vacationing lifestyle. Is CHR big there(?)...or have they too fell for the same reason all the other ones have....Awww-ful product!

Even Radio lives off of the Tourism. That market, and its Summer book fascinates me.

Myrtle Beach does not have Summer Book. It is a two book market, Spring and Fall.

For me, what works at the Beach, may not work anywhere else.

You could say that, to some degree, for every market in the US. Local differences in age distribution, ethnic composition and such have sometimes profound influences on the exact mix of music in formats that may have the same "name" but which exist in different markets.

The problem for years with Classic Rock stations is that they are afraid to explore, adding good Rock songs, while resting/shelving others, to lessen the burn of what they have already Burnt, through those years of fear.

In case you don't keep up, since you have not worked in radio for two decades (give or take), classic rock has just registered some of its best numbers in recent memory across the US.

Auditorium Music Tests are Horse Manure, and only serve as a Consultant's Crutch. After all, they have to have something to flaunt, even though it's as worthless as Tits on a Boar Hog!

Consultants do not do AMTs. Research companies do. Sometimes a consultant may recommend a particular research company based on positive experiences, but it is management's decision who to go with.

In any case, few smaller market stations have consultants. It is too expensive in today's market. And stations owned by companies with many stations like Digity and iHeart have their own in-house programming management and don't rely today on outside consultants such as they did in the past.

AMTs are still the only reliable way for a gold-based or gold-intensive station to know what listeners like and what they don't want to hear. Unless you know of a better way to get feedback from actual listeners, you should really stop making unfounded comments about something you apparently don't know anything factual about.

The audience has grown tired of waiting for change/update/upgrade/up & Adam...better tomorrow, than what they heard today. Skynyrd-Floyd-Zeppelin-Mellencamp, Skynyrd-Floyd-Van Halen-Journey, Skynyrd-Floyd-Clapton-Foreigner....all the Awww-ful Aerosmith songs, that have one-word titles.....That is not all there is!

Perhaps it is what most listeners want to hear. That is all that matters.

When one station decides to Get Hungry, and hire a Proven Programmer, then the other one is bread, hung in the toaster! It is really quite simple!

I guess you tink they shud hire you cuz' you cain't find nuttin' gud in nobuddy else.

Last edited:
Wellllll,...as I fork-through this Steak & Cheeze Omelette, laced with Gen-u-wine "Vidossie" onions from "Vidossie" Georgia, I can only hope that I don't melt your screens, as I put the Big Stink on still, yet another, California instruction, from Mr.Ed....to us here in the GSP. Hmmmmmmmm? The problem is....his dissecting tutelage has no Meat! He stands belief in Auditorium Music tests. It is the end result residue from said tests, that renders the Burnt playlists that you are apparently tired of; thus the Pee-u-nee ratings, and spots for a Dollar-a-Holler. You don't have to be Kreshkin to see such. Just scan the dial, and make note.
Three hours ago, his Omelette was strewn with Toe-Foo!

Last edited:
So for the sake of wasting time on a futile exercise, let me see if I can break down your argument.

1. Classic Rock stations are playing/overplaying the most commonly heard titles.
2. A classic rock station is a success when it has the most people listening to it.
3. A successful radio station that has the most people listening to is the result of playing as mass-appeal music selection as possible.
4. If a classic rock station played what you personally wanted to hear, they would have a larger audience because you personally know what is mass appeal.
5. The results of auditorium/audience tests using a survey group that statistically reflects the target audience and what the target audience wants to hear should be disregarded as invalid.
6. An outside expert that serves to advise a station seeking to increase their audience levels, and therefore by your logic, their success, should also be disregarded in favor of your expertise.
7. You have not been involved in radio since you were fired over two decades ago.

Are we missing anything?

Last edited:
Missing the point, as always! Let's refresh,...with The Truth: I was never fired from any Radio or TV job, during my stint, in the Biz. You can't match that!
Resigned from WROQ to open a retail business; as most are aware of.

For years, what you are doing, barely renders you a 5-share, compared to much higher years ago, when playlists were larger, and the songs, themselves, were not as Burnt. Hmmmmmmmmmmm? Yep, you are missing alot! If WESC was not owned by the same company as WSSL, you would see what a 9 or 10 looked like! WROQ won't see a 9-share, unless a disgruntled intern spray paints such on the control room window, before looting, and motoring home on his Moped.

All your tests, and/or research has Flubbed! Members of "The Hopefully, A 5-Share Club"!

Last edited:
I move to strike that as unresponsive.

Is my summary of your argument correct or not, sir?

This thread is about Classic Rock in Myrtle Beach. Not Greenville or anywhere else.

You stated an argument. All of us deserve to understand precisely what you are attempting to discuss. It is not clear with all the jibberish and nonsense.

Furthermore, as to you former brief employment in radio, you have stated two inapposite things: 1. your contract was not renewed and 2. you resigned. Most say you were fired. So which is it?

This has a direct bearing on whatever credibility you have left here in this forum, where most of us try to discuss the comings and goings and latest developments and have had to suffer through your insult-ridden jibberish.

Last edited:
No!...it is your credibility that is on the grill, and will be as Burnt, as a Classic Rock playlist, at the end of this post. I have trained Interns that easily edge you.
This thread is about the plight of Classic Rock at the Beach, and that plight is the same all over....Burnt playlists, and the station loosing its Ass.

Wrongo: Trolls are sorta small. Both my height & weight disqualify me. I wouldn't call 34+ years in the Biz...brief. Your sources of info are the same as you....Guessers! My Morning show contract was separate from my main job: Sales, Promotions, Collections, Logs, and PR. When that contract was not renewed, I worked in the office for another year, before resigning to open my retail store. Again,...this alleged Troll was never, in 34+ years, fired from any job in either Radio or TV. Again,...it might make you a little Hot, but you still can't match that.

Last edited:
Down to two or three poorly paid,...to run it,.....the PC,....whoring-out the rate card,....Burning 200-300 songs...and proud of a 5-share! That amount of success would fit in a thimble, along with the collective morals of my two X-wives, a doorknob screw, two peas, a frog fart, and the heart of a Consultant.

You assume that these stations can return to 1990 shares simply by returning to 1990 methods. In order for that to happen, everything has to stay the same as it was in 1990. And it hasn't. Everything is relative. A 5 share now is success. Not because of what radio does, but because of what everyone else does. You can double the size of the playlist, and cut the number of commercials, but that won't change the potential audience. It is what it is. We've seen this in market after market.

Even Radio lives off of the Tourism. That market, and its Summer book fascinates me. You coast in the Winter months, and bet it all, when it gets HOT. I guess most of the Classic Rock songs are medium-to-Up Tempo. Truly the soundtrack for the vacationing lifestyle. Is CHR big there(?)...or have they too fell for the same reason all the other ones have....Awww-ful product!
CHR is pretty big, actually. They had two for a while. And people on here say the one station is rhythmic-leaning. There was an actual rhythmic CHR but th's gone.

There's also a Hot AC which people treat like an AC.

Really? I keep about how much trouble the format is in, as its listeners get older.

The story about the 2015 success of classic rock has been in every trade magazine and column about radio.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom