• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KOAZ - Stream down for the past ten days

If you want to geoblock KOAZ, why aren't other small owner stations doing the same thing?

When the others do, will you come back and retract that question?

It is inevitable, given the way royalty rates are rising. And if the performing rights fees demanded by the artists ever gets approved by Congress, watch not only for geofencing but for a lot of independent streams to discontinue their feeds.

If you want to geoblock KOAZ, why aren't other small owner stations doing the same thing? I'm not completely sure, but I suppose royalty rates are still the SAME, geoblocked to a local area or free-to-air throughout the world.

SoundExchange royalties are based on how many people are using the stream. If a station limits its stream to just its local market, it will save considerable money by excluding those listeners who will not patronize station advertisers or impact the local ratings.

A large number of US broadcasters fence out the rest of the world for this reason.

The main reason for not fencing is to be on apps like TuneIn or iHeart Radio. They require full US distribution to be on the app. But if that is not important, or the station has its own app, geofencing can save loads of money.

KOAZ's facebook said in early July..."We'll back up and streaming very soon! Working with a new provider!" Hmm. Wonder if there's more to this secret story than we know. Obviously the "new provider" story is off-limits per Vanguard rules, but this could be interesting. And I wonder if the new provider will geoblock.

Statins change providers all the time. It is usually seamless, and can usually be done with no interruption of service.... or, in the worst of cases, interruptions only for the period of time for the new DNS to propagate.

SoundExchange royalties are based on how many people are using the stream. If a station limits its stream to just its local market, it will save considerable money by excluding those listeners who will not patronize station advertisers or impact the local ratings.

A large number of US broadcasters fence out the rest of the world for this reason.

The main reason for not fencing is to be on apps like TuneIn or iHeart Radio. They require full US distribution to be on the app. But if that is not important, or the station has its own app, geofencing can save loads of money.

Statins change providers all the time. It is usually seamless, and can usually be done with no interruption of service.... or, in the worst of cases, interruptions only for the period of time for the new DNS to propagate.

My next question (no, I'm not in the business, just a listener for years) is this: Does Tune In or iHeart do any negotiating on the royalties, or does that have to be done by the individual stations?

My next question (no, I'm not in the business, just a listener for years) is this: Does Tune In or iHeart do any negotiating on the royalties, or does that have to be done by the individual stations?

Good question, and I do not know the answer. While some radio groups have negotiated directly on streaming royalties, I don't believe that those two apps' owners can negotiate on behalf of stations they don't own but that is just a guess.

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge of the process will clarify this... BigA seems to be very knowledgeable about performing rights issues so hopefully he will read this and respond.

Ironically, KOAZ used to be on TuneIn. It was gone by the end of 2014 (only could be heard on their website, OK that's fine with me) and obviously late April 2015 they stopped streaming altogether.
And speaking of KFEZ, they have no webstream on their WEBSITE...it directs you to Tune-In. They may not be geoblocking because TuneIn can't accept royalties from a station they don't own . But that's my best guess.

It's almost Labor Day. Still no KOAZ stream. The link has disappeared entirely. At this point I don't expect KOAZ back online by the end of the year at all.

It's almost Labor Day. Still no KOAZ stream. The link has disappeared entirely.

That should be telling you something, if you use the intelligence that you have shown in your well-written posts.

I've noticed a lot of missing streams and geo-blocking, even on TuneIn. What happens is you get to hear their stupid commercial and then they tell you the station is geo-blocked. And I say 'stupid' commercial because it is an irritating waste of time to hear it, and then get no programming....

We have zero information if the stream is gone due to money problems, secret geoblocking (I wonder if ABQ IP addresses still get a stream...) or a mix of both.
Another SJ station (well, a Soft AC/SJ hybrid), KFEZ in CO is not working either. Just dead air 24/7. Either geoblocking, or technical problems and no one has ever noticed.
Still have WSBZ, but it's just not the same without the staples.

Last week I also lost KSRW Independence, CA (a great locally-based AC full of rare stuff) to a format flip to alternative rock. That leaves me with few choices other than KKRB Klamath Falls, for an AC that doesn't play the same 200 songs.
But I should be thankful for what choices I have.

-crainbebo

I've noticed a lot of missing streams and geo-blocking, even on TuneIn. What happens is you get to hear their stupid commercial and then they tell you the station is geo-blocked. And I say 'stupid' commercial because it is an irritating waste of time to hear it, and then get no programming....

It's certainly not stupid for the advertisers. They get you to listen to the entire commercial.

We have zero information if the stream is gone due to money problems, secret geoblocking (I wonder if ABQ IP addresses still get a stream...) or a mix of both.

Is there a reason why you would expect an explanation for what is likely to be a business decision?

But I should be thankful for what choices I have.

Wouldn't Pandora or even a subscription to XM / Sirius be better than trying to find an OTA station stream of a format that is pretty much unsustainable on commercial ad supported media?

David, from a business standpoint, I suppose you're right. However, for a lot of listeners like me, there is something lost when you don't get live jocks and live conversation. Then, OTA radio is only for 18-49 year olds these days, isn't it? Anyone older than that might as well leave unless you listen to news, talk or sports, I guess.

However, for a lot of listeners like me, there is something lost when you don't get live jocks and live conversation.

First there was automation, where all of the song titles were announced on the same reel as the music, verbatim every time a song played, with what localism there was coming from pre-carted newscasts, weather reports, and public service announcements.

Then there was voicetracked automation, which in its earliest incarnation still was four or five air personalities creating new song intros and outros each day that played from a separate reel ... still no localism outside of the news/weather/PSA inserts, and very awkward because those voicetrack reels had to stay pretty generic.

Systems like Prophet and the like allowed the importing of voicetracked talent into a computer-generated custom presentation for each station, and it sounded better than its predecessors because the tracking happened within a day or two of air (and could even be updated before airing in the case of something unforeseen happening in the interim). Still, talent would sometimes flub the pronunciation of a local town or landmark which gave them away as being outside the area.

Next came Jack™ and its clones, which have -- at best -- "personality" in the voice of Howard Cogan, who provides the snarky voice on station liners. But song titles? Fuggedaboudit. Conversation? Don't make me laugh.

The audience? Except for a relative handful like yourself, they don't care. They just want their music station to be playing their favorite songs whenever they tune in.

For a format like Smooth Jazz, like Beautiful Music before it, the less intrusion by talk, the better people seem to like it. But as has been noted, the audience has mostly grayed-out; that was the kiss of death for the latter and is rapidly becoming the same for the former.

David, from a business standpoint, I suppose you're right. However, for a lot of listeners like me, there is something lost when you don't get live jocks and live conversation. Then, OTA radio is only for 18-49 year olds these days, isn't it? Anyone older than that might as well leave unless you listen to news, talk or sports, I guess.

Radio in any market that depends to any extent on agency business and ratings has to target somewhere between 18 and 55. There's no money for teens and essentially none for seniors.

Even at the retail level, business folks that find that a station only brings "tightwad geezers" into their store will look elsewhere to advertise. I've heard many a seller mention that merchants don't want to see their store filled with seniors, as the image of being an "old fart" place is believed to scare off younger consumers.

Even at the retail level, business folks that find that a station only brings "tightwad geezers" into their store will look elsewhere to advertise. I've heard many a seller mention that merchants don't want to see their store filled with seniors, as the image of being an "old fart" place is believed to scare off younger consumers.

Perhaps we can send some of those in denial around to their local retailers and try to convince them to support a station programmed for 55+ ... with the provision that they report back to us on how many doors were slammed in their faces, how many business owners respond as above, and if anyone actually said they would buy time at the going rate on such a station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom