• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Trying to find an antenna for NS-BHDIP01 HD Receiver

I have a NS-BHDIP01 receiver. The antenna isn't very good, so I saw a Radio Shack 15-2163 HD Antenna which is good for HD TV and it also showed HD FM can be picked using it. I know that this antenna has a coaxial cable, do I need to use the coaxial cable if I buy this antenna for NS-BHDIP01. I would really like to change the antenna on NS-BHDIP01 and hoping that Radio Shack 15-2163 HD antenna will work without the coaxial cable. If anyone knows I would be appreciative.

Tea Men
Tampa, FL

There is no functional difference between an "HD" antenna and a regular antenna. All the fundamental laws of antennas apply. The difference is that HD is very limited in range, so you need to throw the kitchen sink at it. Do it right, and you will do it once. Go cheap, and you will have to spend more money to do it right the second time.

I wouldn't worry too much about the brand of antennas. If you have a reception problem, your solution is to use an outdoor FM antenna, pointed at the station you are trying to receive. Use a rotor if you are trying to get stations from more than one direction. 75 Ohm coax is best, and don't forget grounding and lightning protection.

Using good antenna techniques that have been know for decades, I can get occasional 250 mile HD reception (Dallas stations from Houston). That is with a modest 20 foot mast, ten element FM yagi antenna, 75 Ohm coax, and a decent tuner.

I have a NS-BHDIP01 receiver. The antenna isn't very good, so I saw a Radio Shack 15-2163 HD Antenna which is good for HD TV and it also showed HD FM can be picked using it. I know that this antenna has a coaxial cable, do I need to use the coaxial cable if I buy this antenna for NS-BHDIP01. I would really like to change the antenna on NS-BHDIP01 and hoping that Radio Shack 15-2163 HD antenna will work without the coaxial cable. If anyone knows I would be appreciative.

Tea Men
Tampa, FL
Big yagi.JPG

Something like this might work for local HD reception, for fringe receptionI would suggest a hard wired connection to the transmitting antenna.

Tea Men
Tampa, FL

I am really familiar with Central Florida, having lived there for 9 years. What station are you trying to get, and what is the general area of Tampa in which you live?

Actually with this NS-BHDIP01 Insignia radio I have trouble getting the HD signals to stay. It takes on long time to get all bars up on HD indicator and then I lose them. I have trouble getting WUSF FM 89.7 HD2 and HD3, WPOI FM 102.5 HD2 and WDUV FM 105.5 HD2. I live in North St Petersburg and most of the towers are within 30 miles from where I live. I am sure it is the radio that giving him the problem. I appreciate you rbrucecarter and KB1OKL on better antennas to use. My biggest fear is I live in an area where lighting is very much an threat everyday during the summer. That is why I was hoping to find an indoor antenna. I don't think I will find something like that.

Actually with this NS-BHDIP01 Insignia radio I have trouble getting the HD signals to stay. It takes on long time to get all bars up on HD indicator and then I lose them. I have trouble getting WUSF FM 89.7 HD2 and HD3, WPOI FM 102.5 HD2 and WDUV FM 105.5 HD2. I live in North St Petersburg and most of the towers are within 30 miles from where I live. I am sure it is the radio that giving him the problem. I appreciate you rbrucecarter and KB1OKL on better antennas to use. My biggest fear is I live in an area where lighting is very much an threat everyday during the summer. That is why I was hoping to find an indoor antenna. I don't think I will find something like that.

Well you've stumbled on one of the main problems with HD, the range is terrible. I was joking with that big giant Yagi in my first post but to get decent reception (30-40 miles from Boston) I did have to put an FM yagi on my roof, then found it wasn't worth the bother.

When I lived in Central Florida, I put a quick disconnect connector on the end of the coax, and only physically hooked the antenna to the tuner when I was listening. The rest of the time the cable was disconnected. Ground wire on the antenna connected to rebar driven deep into the ground would be the more direct path for lightning.

I looked up your radio - the pictures don't give a clue about the quality of the tuner, but I notice it is also a phone dock. That is a huge clue in itself. iPhones are huge interference producers, as are most smart phones, so keep your phone off the dock when you are listening to the radio.

The good news with a good outdoor antenna is that it is going to make up for even a so-so radio. I've connected my yagi to a very modest GE desktop in Palm Bay, FL - and all the major stations from Miami were solid as a rock on it. That is about 200 miles.

The bad news is that all - as in ALL of those indoor amplified antennas have been tested by the tuner information center folks (fmtunerinfo.com) and found to be junk. Absolute junk. The ONLY thing I have found that has any gain at all is made by Godar - it is a log periodic antenna shrunk down into a flat package you can put on a shelf. It seems to have a small gain compared to a dipole - on stations on the top half of the band. Most people use it wrong - the coax end goes TOWARD the station under test. But before you spring for one, you should test your radio with a dipole, mounted at or on the ceiling, broadside to your stations. If that works, maybe a Godar will. If not, you will not find any indoor antenna that will do the job. The stations you list should not be a problem from your location, so your issue is either interference or not enough antenna gain. An outdoor antenna will address both problems. It doesn't have to be big, because you aren't going for 200 mile stuff. But getting clear of interference and adding real gain is the way to go in this situation.

You are not alone - many people have reported having to put up outdoor antennas even for local HD stations. Just be glad if you aren't on the approach path of a local airport, many people report HD reception is impossible less than 10 miles from full class C stations if they are under approach paths for an airport.

When I lived in Central Florida, I put a quick disconnect connector on the end of the coax, and only physically hooked the antenna to the tuner when I was listening. The rest of the time the cable was disconnected. Ground wire on the antenna connected to rebar driven deep into the ground would be the more direct path for lightning.

I looked up your radio - the pictures don't give a clue about the quality of the tuner, but I notice it is also a phone dock. That is a huge clue in itself. iPhones are huge interference producers, as are most smart phones, so keep your phone off the dock when you are listening to the radio.

The good news with a good outdoor antenna is that it is going to make up for even a so-so radio. I've connected my yagi to a very modest GE desktop in Palm Bay, FL - and all the major stations from Miami were solid as a rock on it. That is about 200 miles.

The bad news is that all - as in ALL of those indoor amplified antennas have been tested by the tuner information center folks (fmtunerinfo.com) and found to be junk. Absolute junk. The ONLY thing I have found that has any gain at all is made by Godar - it is a log periodic antenna shrunk down into a flat package you can put on a shelf. It seems to have a small gain compared to a dipole - on stations on the top half of the band. Most people use it wrong - the coax end goes TOWARD the station under test. But before you spring for one, you should test your radio with a dipole, mounted at or on the ceiling, broadside to your stations. If that works, maybe a Godar will. If not, you will not find any indoor antenna that will do the job. The stations you list should not be a problem from your location, so your issue is either interference or not enough antenna gain. An outdoor antenna will address both problems. It doesn't have to be big, because you aren't going for 200 mile stuff. But getting clear of interference and adding real gain is the way to go in this situation.

You are not alone - many people have reported having to put up outdoor antennas even for local HD stations. Just be glad if you aren't on the approach path of a local airport, many people report HD reception is impossible less than 10 miles from full class C stations if they are under approach paths for an airport.[/QUOTE

rbrucecarter5, I learned two things from you about this radio. I didn't know the I-Pod, I-Phone clip in front of this radio could make it difficult to pick up stations that should be able to pick up. I would not have bought it if I knew about that. I have an I-Pod but no I-Phone so it really wasn't necessary. I do live near St.Petersburg-Clearwater Airport about 5 miles away. I can see planes taking off and landing over the trees in my backyard. I didn't take that into consideration that HD would be affected that way. I tried to talk my wife into letting me buy a yagi and put it up outside she didn't go for it. When you told me that you could pick up stations in Miami-Ft. Lauderdale and you are near Melbourne, tells me that yagi would help. I would also agree that even antenna would make my radio so-so. I appreciate your insight with my question. I was frustrated with this receiver but now I know it would take a miracle to get it to work the way I would like it to work. Thank you for knowledge.

Tea Men

Before you try to put something on the roof, try a decent dipole FM antenna (the kind made of clear looking twin-lead) if you have a twin lead connector on the radio -- it may help.

An HD TV antenna won't necessarily help you because most HD TV is now on UHF frequencies (much higher in frequency than FM, and the antenna elements have to be smaller to be effective), and FM radio is closer to the old VHF TV frequencies.

Also -- don't forget that FM can have dead spots in various places in your house. I have several places where I have to move my FM radio maybe half a foot and the station will come in better. So try moving your radio inside the room and see if that makes a difference.

rbrucecarter5, I learned two things from you about this radio. I didn't know the I-Pod, I-Phone clip in front of this radio could make it difficult to pick up stations that should be able to pick up. I would not have bought it if I knew about that. I have an I-Pod but no I-Phone so it really wasn't necessary. I do live near St.Petersburg-Clearwater Airport about 5 miles away. I can see planes taking off and landing over the trees in my backyard. I didn't take that into consideration that HD would be affected that way. I tried to talk my wife into letting me buy a yagi and put it up outside she didn't go for it. When you told me that you could pick up stations in Miami-Ft. Lauderdale and you are near Melbourne, tells me that yagi would help. I would also agree that even antenna would make my radio so-so. I appreciate your insight with my question. I was frustrated with this receiver but now I know it would take a miracle to get it to work the way I would like it to work. Thank you for knowledge.

Tea Men

I did need to let you know - an iPod will be just as bad about producing interference as an iPhone. So you need to take it off the dock when you are listening to FM.

Digging up an older thread...but I recently acquired one of these boomboxes. Reception is "meh" at best. I am also in Pinellas county.

What helped the most (for me) was unplugging it and using rechargeable batteries. The "wall wart" that comes with it seemed to be hindering reception. Once I did that I could get an HD lock on most of the locals. WHPT 102.5, WUSF and WDUV included. While plugged in, stretching out the cord seems to help a little bit. Also tried the old "foil flag" on the antenna, which actually helped, but was a bit unsightly).

The challenge here is WSUN (a weak-ish signal to begin with). Where I am, it (and other weak signals) get stepped on somewhat by WBRN 98.7 (I'm not too far from the transmitter). Simply unplugging the radio allowed me to at least get a glimpse of the HD signal at 97.1.

The next thing I did was replace the stock (23"-ish) antenna with a 39.5 inch telescoping antenna. That helped even more. Now with the boombox running on battery power, I can even get a somewhat reliable lock on WSUN HD1 & HD 2. Plugged in to the wall, I can almost get a lock, but not quite. Even my best indoor HD tuner (Directed Electronics table radio w/attached FM Dipole) has trouble with that one.

Of course, things may improve even more if/when WBRN 98.7 moves out to Hillsborough (a move that has been applied for, apparently).

This thing doesn't have the greatest tuner, but it can be made usable at least. The next step would be an attic or outdoor antenna, but that kind of defeats the purpose of a "portable" radio.

One of the problems plaguing FM is that there are virtually no high gain FM-only antennas left on the market. There are a few made for CATV and they are generally extremely expensive, but rugged.

MCM Electronics has a couple of simple and cheap Yagi FM-only antennas that are compact enough to put in your attic, if you have one. I hardly ever have lightning up here in the Pacific Northwet, but I did take the precaution of driving an 8' ground rod and running my coax through a grounding block. Alas, my old Channel Master rotator is dying and my Antennacraft FM-6, which is no longer obtainable, didn't hold up well and now needs major repairs.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/browse/AM-FM-HD-Radio/0000000789

You can use solid aluminum rods like the sell at Home Depot to replace broken elements - just cut to length, drill out the old rivet, drill through the new element, and use stainless screw hardware to attach to the old rivet hole. All conduction is surface effect anyway, so there is no functional difference between roll aluminum and solid aluminum elements. It is even tempting to replace all of them, but the antenna will be heavier.

You can use solid aluminum rods like the sell at Home Depot to replace broken elements - just cut to length, drill out the old rivet, drill through the new element, and use stainless screw hardware to attach to the old rivet hole. All conduction is surface effect anyway, so there is no functional difference between roll aluminum and solid aluminum elements. It is even tempting to replace all of them, but the antenna will be heavier.

I have an old Rat Shack FM yagi on the roof and actually got most Boston FM's in HD before I put the Sony in mothballs.

Best Buy hasn't sold that radio in at least 4-5 years. The iPod dock is a clue to its age.

Their product line for HD suddenly shifted exclusively to the NS-HDRAD line within the past few years. I realized that the tuner isn't sensitive on my version 1 once I plugged in my Terk FM+. There was really no difference in reception between the pigtail and the Terk FM+ when it came to receiving LPFMs or rimshot HDs. The NS-HDRAD is very good for receiving strong local signals, but not for DXing. The updated NS-HDRAD2 omitted the 3.5 mm external antenna jack and became dipole-only.

Best Buy hasn't sold that radio in at least 4-5 years. The iPod dock is a clue to its age.

Their product line for HD suddenly shifted exclusively to the NS-HDRAD line within the past few years. I realized that the tuner isn't sensitive on my version 1 once I plugged in my Terk FM+. There was really no difference in reception between the pigtail and the Terk FM+ when it came to receiving LPFMs or rimshot HDs. The NS-HDRAD is very good for receiving strong local signals, but not for DXing. The updated NS-HDRAD2 omitted the 3.5 mm external antenna jack and became dipole-only.

Thanks for letting me know about Terk FM+, I was tempted to buy it for that radio. I realize that this Best Buy radio can't use anything to make the signals better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom