• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Any hints, tips, pointers about the buttons?... on a Panasonic SG-J500

thezak

Frequent Participant
Any hints, tips, pointers about the buttons?... on a Panasonic SG-J500 at
https://www.google.com/search?q=panasonic+SG-J500&tbm=isch
https://www.google.com/search?q=panasonic+sg-j500

from Matsushita Electric Industrial Co
FCC ID : ACJ9TFSG-J500

Pressing the FM button it takes considerable time and effort jiggling the FM button and jiggling the 2 buttons to the left of it phono, poweroff until you get clear audio. While jiggling there's loud static and squeal. When it gets finally adjusted the audio quality is fine but that takes several minutes of considerable effort jiggling 3 of the buttons poweroffbutton, phonobutton, FMbutton.

Removing the chassis looks to be a project in itself, if it's possible to figure out how to open it.

Last edited:
Uh, buy a modern radio? Maybe at least something from the 90's? The volume pots and buttons are probably dirty and worn out. That monster probably isn't worth the trouble.

Best I could say is to take it apart and give the problem button a good rinse with contact cleaner, I doubt any replacement parts are available.

The switch contacts are probably dirty. I agree with bradgoehl. Open it up and spray contact cleaner on the switch contacts.

I had the same issues with one of the SG-J500 units I have (speakers cutting in and out/squealing, having to jiggle buttons for quite some time to get clear audio). Cleaning the contacts with contact cleaner as suggested in this thread cleared up the issues.

I opened up the unit in order to get at the contacts from the inside. You'll need to take off the rectangular bracket at the bottom (held on by 8 small reddish screws). Next you need to take out 7 screws on the back of the unit (all recessed, and have either and up or down arrow pointing at each hole to denote location). From here, you should be able to separate the front and back of the unit to get at the internals.

There are 4 connectors that will need to be undone so that the front can be totally separated from the back:

1) a flat black cable right at the center end of the PC board with multiple leads in a row that connects to a white receptacle (you need to flip a lever up on the receptacle in order to pull it out)

2) Antenna cable immediately to the right of the receptacle mentioned above

3,4) two small blacks leads that are on the right facing side of the PC board. I don't know if these leads can be flipped, so it makes sense to take phone pics/mark leads/etc to make sure things go back together in the same way

After this, you'll need to get the record player decks out of the track for the front panel, and the two sections will be separated.

Now that I have access to the inside of the front panel, I sprayed a little bit of contact cleaner in the open areas for each button, as well as the slider areas for the volume and tone sliders. I moved the sliders and repeated pressed buttons to get the contact cleaner moving around, and then let the front face sit on my workbench. Every few hours over the next few days, I would do another round of button pushing/slider moving.

The hardest part of the reassembly was getting the record player back on the track for the front panel, so you should do that first before reconnecting the connectors above, so you have room to play. Otherwise, it's reversing the steps above and hopefully the button issues will be cleared up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom