• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Does anyone besides me think AC today is a joke?

I know, one of my bigger complaints about classic hits is just that, the lack of softer AC titles. Although that can't be said of our local KWRP 690 station, heard "Just the Two of Us" from 1981 today! So, not is all lost....yet!

Many softer titles are just not aired anymore. I would not expect to hear 1974's "Having My Baby" by Paul Anka & Odia Coates, but I do expect to hear some of the late 70's and 80's softer tunes. By classic hits not playing them, they are just becoming lost in time, a slow death.

Other than the Internet and satellite, the only places I've found the softer titles played on is either stations like WLIX in Long Island (www.wlix.fm) or stations like KAAM in Texas (www.kaamradio.com).

Last edited:
By the way, that KAAM station plays some of the currents I'm into: Celtic Woman, Sarah Brightman, Andrea Bocelli, Josh Groban, Michael Buble. Because I don't have any stations in my neck of the woods playing those artists is why I have to rely on a variety of streaming and social media sites to keep up with their music.

Last edited:
I got into Celtic Woman/Josh Groban/Michael Buble easy listening artists when I was in my 20's. What made me a fan was hearing young artists my age giving a contemporary flair to older styles of music.

Last edited:
Find a 30 year old (adult) woman...and ask her what new songs she likes and there you have the Adult Contemporary format.

As he has already admitted in other threads, oldies76 isn't one of those.

As for KWRP, it survives because it is not reliant on agency business. It's entirely local sales. It is entirely a local station. You have to be below the top-50 markets (at the least) before agency buys aren't the dominant part of your revenue. So if you get to the major markets, the programming is going to be tailored for the demographics the national advertisers are trying to reach.

Guess who's in that group? Yep, the 30-year-old woman.

As he has already admitted in other threads, oldies76 isn't one of those.

Wimmex was replying to me, not oldies76. Even though I'm in the demographic for today's AC (female, 30's, mother of a young child), I don't connect with the styles of singing/performing of many of today's AC stars and I'm not too keen on the messages in their songs. Nothing in my music collection goes beyond PG. I consider that an influence from family members.

In the quote that I made that Wimmex was replying to, I was pointing out that there was a drastic difference between AC and CHR in the 80's and 90's, at least in my neck of the woods. During that time, most AC's I heard were very ballad-oriented like WLIX in Long Island (http://www.wlix.fm/). They were using monikers such as "Soft", "Lite/Light", "Easy", which caused people to equate them as a type of easy listening format. If you heard Madonna on the stations, you would hear "Crazy For You" or "Take A Bow" but you wouldn't hear "Material Girl" or "Like A Virgin". You would hear a few instrumentals by Kenny G or Jim Brickman mixed in with the ballads. As I said in the quote, the overall atmosphere of the stations made it the spot on the car dial that was safe to play around your kids.

Last edited:
Another definitive statement from Eduardo?

18-34 demo includes teens.

I could have been clearer.

CHR stations do not specifically target the Nielsen teen demo which is 12-17. In the ratings, 12-17 is labeled "teens". And 18-34 is called Adults 18-34. So when radio says "teens" we mean "the teen demo" which is 12 to 17.

Sorry for the confusion.

I wasn't implying that Oldies76 was a 30 year old woman.

(Do you really claim to be a programming consultant and couldn't figure that out?)

I don't "claim", I am one.

The remark which you snidely refer to is an inside joke which I'm sure oldies76 got right away. :cool:

I wasn't implying that Oldies76 was a 30 year old woman.

(Do you really claim to be a programming consultant and couldn't figure that out?)

Well anyways, glad you guys cleared up the confusion. :)

30?, Well let's see, in 1997 I was still in Southern California.........

Last edited:
If you heard Madonna on the stations, you would hear "Crazy For You" or "Take A Bow" but you wouldn't hear "Material Girl" or "Like A Virgin".
I do not recall "Material Girl" being on soft AC in those days. But for some odd reason my standards station has had it on the morning show.

In the quote that I made that Wimmex was replying to, I was pointing out that there was a drastic difference between AC and CHR in the 80's and 90's, at least in my neck of the woods. During that time, most AC's I heard were very ballad-oriented like WLIX in Long Island (http://www.wlix.fm/). They were using monikers such as "Soft", "Lite/Light", "Easy", which caused people to equate them as a type of easy listening format. If you heard Madonna on the stations, you would hear "Crazy For You" or "Take A Bow" but you wouldn't hear "Material Girl" or "Like A Virgin". You would hear a few instrumentals by Kenny G or Jim Brickman mixed in with the ballads. As I said in the quote, the overall atmosphere of the stations made it the spot on the car dial that was safe to play around your kids.

I do not recall "Material Girl" being on soft AC in those days.

Exactly the same as what I said. Soft AC was the only type of AC in my neck of the woods for 20 years and Soft AC played ballads while CHR concentrated on the upbeat songs.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the one thing that's changed since "those days" is PPM ratings. We can now see more clearly how people behave when soft songs come on. The demise of soft AC is related to the start of PPM.

By the way, that KAAM station plays some of the currents I'm into: Celtic Woman, Sarah Brightman, Andrea Bocelli, Josh Groban, Michael Buble. Because I don't have any stations in my neck of the woods playing those artists is why I have to rely on a variety of streaming and social media sites to keep up with their music.

Besides the type of artists, another reason I have rely on streaming is because FM and AM radio reception isn't all that great.

When I do streaming, I search through various radio directories and download various media files and make playlists of them in iTunes, Windows Media Player, etc. so I won't have to listen through my browser, which can tend to be sluggish at times.

Keep in mind that the one thing that's changed since "those days" is PPM ratings. We can now see more clearly how people behave when soft songs come on. The demise of soft AC is related to the start of PPM.

You and certain others telling us ad nauseum of how Clear Channel and their ilk have caused certain types of artists and genres to disappear from the airwaves only serves to make my anti-commercial radio views grow stronger.

Because I'm sick and tired of the "no can do" attitude here towards bringing these artists and genres back to the airwaves, I will be leaving this forum.

Goodbye to all the friends I've made here.

Last edited:
Because I'm sick and tired of the "no can do" attitude here towards bringing these artists and genres back to the airwaves, I will be leaving this forum.

Consultants like these will always defend the industry at all cost. As music fans (Music Lover) we believe what we believe in and so will they. They disagree with us and we disagree with them. No one (including them) wins.

We want large playlists, they want 300, etc..etc..etc..etc.... We music fans have been dealing with the radio pros for years on these boards (myself since 2007). Nothing will ever change, heck I realized that years ago. And yes, I've threatened to leave several times, but really what's the point in leaving? Others down the road will come and argue the same stuff that we've argued before. It's an endless circle and it will never end.

May I suggest XMfan, a site very much dedicated to fans like you and I with very little "interference". Check out the DECADES DISCUSSIONS, many posts about different genres of music and stations. There is also the Casey Kasem posts as well there. I occasionally post there, when something interesting comes up. In fact other RD music fans post there also, some under different names. Give it a shot, maybe that'll end the "ad nauseum" agony of us being portrayed as usually "wrong", "selfish" and "outliers" by others here.

It's really too bad. They just can't go for that..."No Can Do!"

Last edited:
You and certain others telling us ad nauseum of how Clear Channel and their ilk have caused certain types of artists and genres to disappear from the airwaves only serves to make my anti-commercial radio views grow stronger.

Don't leave us!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom