• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Movin's hiring! NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY!!!

U

Unregistered

Saw this on ALL ACCESS and thought I'd pass it along - especially 'cause of the highlighted parts of the job description.

QUALIFICATIONS:
Do you want to work in a top market for a great team of proven winners? You must have a winning attitude and work well as part of a team. You need to be likeable in the halls, on calls and appearances and be ready to win.
- No professional on air experience necessary
- Opinionated (need to have an opinion on most things)
- Able to laugh at yourself
- Coachable, reliable and organized
- Active in social media is a plus
- Must be able to take direction in stressful environment
- Applications must include an audio sample
- Send audio sample and resume to [email protected]
DUTIES:
- Work on the air as a co-host for the morning show, Monday – Friday (5-10am) and as assigned by program director/producer
- (10am-1pm) Schedule directed by producer
- Connecting with audience and co-hosts with a fun, upbeat attitude
- Traffic reports during the morning show
- Attend station functions and promotional appearances as needed
Hubbard Radio Seattle is an Equal Opportunity Employer

Apply to: http://www.movin925.com/jobs-movin-92-5
Job #3-15
Bellevue, WA
No Telephone Calls Please

The job is still open - a new ad is posted on ALL ACCESS. Apply now! :)

Just saw the job posted in a radio trade newsletter - shouldn't they post it on Craigslist if they're looking for someone with no experience?

Just saw the job posted in a radio trade newsletter - shouldn't they post it on Craigslist if they're looking for someone with no experience?

Why don't they take it to the nearest college/university with a radio station? I'm sure they'll find an applicant meeting their low expectation.

Ya know, as someone who put in several years in small-market radio stations in the Southeast paying my way through college, this would be a great way to get my foot in the door in large-market radio...

Sad part is I make a bit over $30k in my full-time job in downtown. If I were to apply (and get) this position, my guess is I'd be taking a paycut of at least $5-6k/year and have to commute from Shoreline to Bellevue 5-6 days/week (luckily bridge traffic would be dead at 4:30am!)

My guess is this is the reason why this position has been posted twice in six months has to do with just this. Morning co-host, traffic reports, production (that's always part of the deal...), social media during work and after work, plus after-hours promotions and possibly board-op work for what's more than likely $12-13/hr. You're not even getting fresh-faced broadcast school grads around here for that rate of pay!

I could see this as an excellent job for someone wanting to prove themselves in the industry plus bypass the small-markets a lot of folks end up cutting their teeth at. I'm really of the opinion that one cannot make a living doing entry-level radio work full-time anymore...best to keep the day job and either volunteer at a non-comm or work a board-op/phone screener/promotions assistant job part-time.

Radio-X

I think the most amazing part is that you can live in Shoreline and commute to downtown on a $30k salary! :)

I bet the job pays at least $30k to someone with no experience. That's about $14 an hour. Since you have experience you might get a bit more. I'd say go for it. Just use the I-90 bridge to save the toll...

Ya know, as someone who put in several years in small-market radio stations in the Southeast paying my way through college, this would be a great way to get my foot in the door in large-market radio...

Sad part is I make a bit over $30k in my full-time job in downtown. If I were to apply (and get) this position, my guess is I'd be taking a paycut of at least $5-6k/year and have to commute from Shoreline to Bellevue 5-6 days/week (luckily bridge traffic would be dead at 4:30am!)

My guess is this is the reason why this position has been posted twice in six months has to do with just this. Morning co-host, traffic reports, production (that's always part of the deal...), social media during work and after work, plus after-hours promotions and possibly board-op work for what's more than likely $12-13/hr. You're not even getting fresh-faced broadcast school grads around here for that rate of pay!

I could see this as an excellent job for someone wanting to prove themselves in the industry plus bypass the small-markets a lot of folks end up cutting their teeth at. I'm really of the opinion that one cannot make a living doing entry-level radio work full-time anymore...best to keep the day job and either volunteer at a non-comm or work a board-op/phone screener/promotions assistant job part-time.

Radio-X

I love this post RadioX. I'd apply, but several reasons why I won't:
1. I'm a student, taking 10 credits at the moment. Yes there are some people that can handle being a full-time student on top of a job, I'm not one of them.
2. I've done a bus trip to Bellevue once from the University District and while I won't say I'll never do that again, I'm not doing it from where I currently live, especially if you're saying you're going to have to get up at 4:30 AM. It would likely be even earlier for me, though I'd probably just use Uber most of the time since busses don't run that early.

I'm really of the opinion that one cannot make a living doing entry-level radio work full-time anymore...best to keep the day job and either volunteer at a non-comm or work a board-op/phone screener/promotions assistant job part-time.

Radio-X

If you want to make radio your career, I think you have no choice but to deal with the pitfalls, risks and rewards of entry level commercial radio. I got involved with a non-com college radio station recently for fun. It's a great environment for students to experiment and learn about the basics, but it's not an avenue to commercial radio (which is sometimes a misconception).

Wow for someone like me this is a great opportunity. I think it could be fun. If they don't care that I have no experience or talent then why not apply? Curious though, have seen many postings from them as a whole and all their stations. Why so much turnover? From what I know doesn't seem like other groups have had such a high rate of turn over. My roommate is a cousin of one girl who worked there who was let go and said they weren't very nice. I would love an opportunity like this but am skeptical about the company people and practices.

Wow for someone like me this is a great opportunity. I think it could be fun. If they don't care that I have no experience or talent then why not apply? Curious though, have seen many postings from them as a whole and all their stations. Why so much turnover? From what I know doesn't seem like other groups have had such a high rate of turn over. My roommate is a cousin of one girl who worked there who was let go and said they weren't very nice. I would love an opportunity like this but am skeptical about the company people and practices.

If it were me in your position, I'd apply anyway. If you at least get an interview, it'll be great free experience into what it takes to get a radio gig.

Even though I've been out of school for a year and a half now, I'm still not going to apply. I just started a new job in Redmond, and I am already sick of the commute on only my fourth day. In addition, a large portion of my paycheck is likely going to be spent on Uber over there because of the hours. As for working downtown on $30K a year, if you take the bus regularly, that shouldn't be that hard. I would absolutely love this opportunity, but logistically it doesn't work right now. If I'm lucky, I'll get myself a place in Bellevue about this time next year and maybe go for it.

I'm far from what I would call a "radio pro", but this isn't an opportunity I would recommend to anyone who is looking to get a "running start" in the broadcasting industry. A small-role position on a big morning show isn't going to allow the individual to grow their talent and on-air persona. Having said that, I hope it works out for someone.

The requirements are very specific, so one might think it "smells" like a compliance posting. They may have identified the candidate but for legal reasons have to post the opening. In this sort of situation, the poster will find nobody else meeting the requirements so they get to hire the previously identified candidate.

The requirements are very specific, so one might think it "smells" like a compliance posting. T

That's what I thought when the posting originally came out. EEO compliance by taking applications for anyone who wants to apply. "See, we opened it up."

That is the standard MO for the putz in the corner office. They do this all the time.

This is pretty much SOP everywhere in business. There is a legal requirement to notify the availability of job openings, and that is intended to give opportunity to all groups in society to participate in the hiring process.

Sometimes, though, there are positions that require specific intangible qualities that don't fit in a job description... such as, in this case "chemistry" or ability to get along with other parts of a morning show team... that defy the open recruiting process. Still, it's good that publishing all openings is required as this is the only way of finding "I never would have thought someone like that was out there" potential employees.

However, even when the "perfect candidate" has been identified... such as finding an air talent at another station that is a perfect fit with proven ratings... the posting has to be done. Thus we often see these perfunctory postings where reading between the lines tells us there is no real chance. Of course, there are questions of ethnics and honesty involved, but I'm trying to present the facts, not a judgement.

Say what you will about Hubbard and this "no experience necessary" stuff, but this former skeptic has seen what they have done in both Nielsen and how they have done a remarkable job in sales, and have left me impressed.

I'm far from what I would call a "radio pro", but this isn't an opportunity I would recommend to anyone who is looking to get a "running start" in the broadcasting industry. A small-role position on a big morning show isn't going to allow the individual to grow their talent and on-air persona. Having said that, I hope it works out for someone.

Yeah, why would you want to work for the top rated morning show in the market when you're trying to break in to the industry? Sounds horrible compared to your...board op job I'm guessing?

Yeah, why would you want to work for the top rated morning show in the market when you're trying to break in to the industry? Sounds horrible compared to your...board op job I'm guessing?

At the same time, how will a minor position on a large morning show allow you to forge a career for yourself? If your goal is to host your own show, wouldn't you be better equipped to make it happen if you've actually been the host of your own show before?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom