• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Lesley Gore Dead at 68

The Beach Boys' "God Only Knows" only reached #39 in 1966. I personally dislike the song, but Oldies radio plays it all the time. I guess it "tested well". Go figure.

That's not the same thing. "God Only Knows"(Paul McCartney said it was the best song ever written.)is the flipside of "Wouldn't It Be Nice?", making it a double sided hit, in the same vein as "I Wanna Hold Your Hand/I Saw Her Standing There". It is also prominently featured in "Pet Sounds", which I have heard was the catalyst for the Beatles releasing "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" but I digress.

That's not the same thing. "God Only Knows"(Paul McCartney said it was the best song ever written.)is the flipside of "Wouldn't It Be Nice?", making it a double sided hit, in the same vein as "I Wanna Hold Your Hand/I Saw Her Standing There". It is also prominently featured in "Pet Sounds", which I have heard was the catalyst for the Beatles releasing "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" but I digress.

"Wouldn't It Be Nice" reached #8 in 1966. "God Only Knows" only reached #39. A previous poster said that a song that reached #37 couldn't be considered a hit.

Let me try to sum this up in a way that we can all understand:

1.Radio programs to listeners under the age of 55; therefore it "tests" audiences under 55 for songs they like and remember.

2.Audiences under age 55 will like and remember fewer '50s & '60s songs than audiences over age 55.
3. Radio will play fewer songs that listeners over age 55 like and remember.

4. Therefore, commercial over-the-air radio is not the place to be for listeners of ANY age who want to hear the full '50s & '60s Top 40 (or even Top 10) music experience.

Note: Since '50s music isn't really played on commercial over-the air radio anymore, simply substitute '70s for '50s above.

We're completely off topic here.
Let's work our way back to the subject.
Thankew.

Frank

It's amazing how we get pulled into these things! I can't believe she's gone but more to the point, I can't believe she was 68 years old! She was just 17(You know what I mean.)Where did the time go?

semoochie,

I understand ....
I just got the "Welcome to Medicare" package in the mail.
In my mind, I'm a skinny sixteen year old kid.

Frank

I heard a less familiar song the other day on the radio that turned out to be from Lesley Gore. Sounded good!

I heard a less familiar song the other day on the radio that turned out to be from Lesley Gore. Sounded good!

My favorite from her has always been "Maybe I Know" although she is best known for "It's My Party". She was one of those "little girls with a BIG voice".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom