• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1550 wazx-smyrna

Are they broadcasting in English? The music's most likely in English, right? Why else would you have posted this thread? Are there any voices on there that are still in Spanish? Or did they change the language to Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or some other foreign language? I tried looking for a stream and a website. Unfortunately, there's neither a website nor a stream. If they really are broadcasting in English again, they just don't have the website and stream yet. They did have 2 previous station names. They were La Voz 1550, and then Diva 1550. Those station names did indeed have Spanish-related formats, and they each had their own websites. If they are still broadcasting in Spanish or changed to another foreign language, you may as well disregard because it may be the equivalent of listening to Internet radio site laut.fm, which is based out of Germany. The majority of their stations broadcast the music in English, but they broadcast their commercials in German. So not cool. I still have a few of their streams in my collection. I just haven't been listening to them lately. Once I find out those other stations broadcast their commercials in German, I'll delete them from my collection. Anyway, that is all.

I had noticed that 1550 was silent over the weekend. Wonder what will be on there next!

Once I find out those other stations broadcast their commercials in German, I'll delete them from my collection. Anyway, that is all.

Well, since music seems to be "king of the hill" in broadcasting today, and people ONLY listen to radio for music, who cares what language the commercials are in! :cool:

You're not one of those German-phobic anti-socials are you? I'm sure that would put you in violation of some Supreme Court ruling on non-discrimination. :mad:

(Do you have any idea what it is like to go through life chained to a damned 5-letter German name that no one can pronounce!)

I think its actually 30K or 33K. I knew that Vietnamese programming would not be viable since the demographic is so small.
Oldies AM might be a good fit. There's an AM oldies station in ALA on 1580 you can hear in the evening and they ARE selling spots.

I didn't know "Rodeo" was German...
:)
c
Oh, yes. Rodeo was invented by the Germans living in Fredricksburg, TX.... with some assistance from their neighbors over in Luckenbach.... back before Willie, Waylon and the boys occupied the town.

Actually the "National Anthem" of the rodeo (Eddy Arnold and "Cattle Call") is an old German lullaby tune written by one of the Bach family of musicians and used to put children to sleep for their afternoon nap with a hidden message of: "And when you wake, you will arise to kick-butt and rope Alpine goats."

You're not one of those German-phobic anti-socials are you? I'm sure that would put you in violation of some Supreme Court ruling on non-discrimination. :mad:

No, I am not German-phobic. I am not afraid of Germans. As long as the people are bilingual and can speak English, too, I have no problem with him and/or her. I have a mother-in-law (my older brother-in-law's mother). She speaks German. When she's around me, my older sister (who's married to my brother-in-law), and the rest of our side of the family, she speaks English. We have Spanish stations in this market, and you're not going to catch me listening to El Patron 105.3 WBZY-FM. One time, I was listening to Viva on 105.7 back when that station existed. This was not too long after 94.9 The Bull came into existence. I tolerated the Spanish for probably about 30 min.-1 hr., waiting for them to flip formats. They never flipped, so I bailed. It's not fun when you're listening to a station that speaks a language you don't understand. I, along with many others on this board, wanted 105.7 to flip to Lite FM, or at least bring Peach back. It didn't happen. Instead, a couple of years later, they went through a format flipping trend from Groove to WiLD to present day Radio 105.7/96.7 WRDA-FM/WRDG-FM (Alternative Rock). Ugh.

As for the anti-social thing, I don't refuse to talk to people. If you refuse to talk to people, nothing will ever get done. I do know what it's like to be without a voice. Back when I was about 2 years old, I was having problems and was really sick. My mother took me to the doctor. The doctor gave me a type of medicine that had ceclor in it. I took it, and I was without a voice for 2 years. I couldn't talk to anyone. :( When I got my voice back, the first word I said was "visa" for Visa credit & debit cards. I ended up with the near British accent I have today. Therefore, I am slightly autistic. I speak when I'm spoken to. I'm not very good with making friends. I don't have any friends. I have acquaintances. I have their backs in some things, but they never have mine. My schedule these days won't really allow me to make friends. Friends have each other's backs, and they hang out with each other. Friendship cannot be one-sided. One person should do what the other person wants to do, and it should be the other way around, too. For example, if my hypothetical friend and I wanted to do a weekly Saturday 12 Noon lunch, we alternate the weeks on who should choose the place and pay for both our meals. I choose the place and pay one week, and the friend chooses the place and pays another week. Friends also spend the night at each other's houses every once in a while. Of course, the "spending the night at each other's houses" thing is optional.

Anyway, that is all.

I heard or read somewhere they converted to a non-directional antenna but had to reduce to 30KW.
The ALA station on 1580 is WVOK Birmingham. (You might need a Select-A-Tenna to pull it in.)
But, they need to get a salesman out there pounding the streets before the electric bill comes in!

Friendship cannot be one-sided. One person should do what the other person wants to do, and it should be the other way around, too. For example, if my hypothetical friend and I wanted to do a weekly Saturday 12 Noon lunch, we alternate the weeks on who should choose the place and pay for both our meals. I choose the place and pay one week, and the friend chooses the place and pays another week. Friends also spend the night at each other's houses every once in a while. Of course, the "spending the night at each other's houses" thing is optional.

Thank you for reminding us.... especially me... that we do not all come to the Discussion Forums with the same interests, the same skill sets, the same goals.

One of the things that "gets crossways in my throat" is the current political and social tendency in our country to assume we all have the same goals, the same wants, and the same skills, thus to be a good citizen we need to accept what ever the mood and goals of the majority in the last election cycle.

Enjoy the discussions and when some goof-ball like me begins crowding your space, just push back a little bit.... or when needed... push back a whole bunch.

I heard or read somewhere they converted to a non-directional antenna but had to reduce to 30KW.

They might have had some kind of engineering STA when they moved to their current transmitter sight several years ago (2001?), but the FCC web site has them @ 50 KW directional NE and a whopping 16 watts at night:

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?list=0&facid=22983

I doubt 30 KW on one tower would work with the Huntsville 1550 @ 50KW:

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?list=0&facid=39508

Thanks SC

I may have been thinking of another station.
That array is directional to a pretty lucrative area, demographic-wise. Seems to me it should be profitable to operate.
Probably doesn't have anybody to pull it all together. Good GM's are not born everyday.

With the Augusta 1550 station and having to protect a Canadian, station at night, any kind of 24 hour signal in the North East part of the market (Gwinnett) is not likely with out major and very expensive engineering.

A good "street fighter" type of sales force working Cobb County will be continuously poached by the big Atlanta clusters.

IMHO It would take large financial commitment like CBS did with 92.2 The Game. Then once you started to make some serious money, a rim shot FM (107.1 for example) could make a run at you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom