• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KYSJ Coos Bay

U

Unregistered

Hi everyone, this is Jazz_Kat. Hope all is well with all of you. Just wanted to pass along that KYSJ will soon be dropping the Smooth Jazz/NAC format. The station was sold here recently and when I spoke to Rick Stevens of the Light House Radio Group, the former owner of KYSJ, he emailed me back ...

Thank you for your interest in KYSJ. As you noted in your email, the station has been sold and as of now, it is not streaming on line. It's our understanding that the new owners have no intention of keeping the smooth jazz format. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it really is beyond our control.

Best wishes,

Rick Stevens

How many stations are left, I know of WSBZ, WJJZ, KOAZ, KJZY, KJJZ, WAEG, WNWV, and WEIB. The best to me are KOAZ, WSBZ, WNWV, and The Oasis in Dallas on the HD side of the things. Thankfully, there a lot of great online stations.

Take care. : )

That's very bad news! Best wishes to the staff of KYSJ - they were a good station. The last Northwest non-BA smooth jazz station now turning off the lights :(
I only taped them twice...once in July 2013 and another aircheck about an hour into the new year of 2015.
KOAZ is still #1. I listen to them quite often, and also listen to the old JRN airchecks that spiritof67 uploads. There are some songs on the earliest (2000-01) airchecks from KZSP that I've never heard even on The Oasis.

There's also KWDR Royal City, WA which is another crappy BA station. A 102.3 translator is in the Tri-Cities...a former JRN market. KUJJ Weston on 101.9 (now KZIU) had JRN from 2006-2008, then BA until 2012. Even in 2015, BA still airs too many covers and Motown and straight AC. K233CJ Walla Walla 94.5 also BA, and KZIZ 1560 Sumner WA is BA as well.

-crainbebo

That sucks. Another great smooth jazz station bites the dust. :( Hopefully WSBZ and KOAZ won't go away.

Even in 2015, BA still airs too many covers and Motown and straight AC.

-crainbebo
Yes, the national Smooth Jazz station on iHeartRadio (which is owned by Clear Channel) still frequently plays the same old R&B and soul hits that they've always aired (though it seems that they finally added newer smooth jazz tunes to their playlist, I tuned in a couple of weeks ago and heard Gregg Karukas Elegant Nights and Doc Powell's cover of Love on Top. However I also heard Adele's Someone Like You, Vanessa Williams, and Bill Withers.) Surprisingly though, WISX HD-2 (which is a CC station) mostly airs instrumentals, and the only vocals I've heard are Sade, Anita, etc. - vocals you'd expect to hear on pretty much any smooth jazz station. I don't know about the other CC stations, but before it got replaced last summer with country, WMIA HD-2 (the only smooth jazz station we had here) was just like the latter - mostly instrumentals, not many vocals.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom