Thread: LPFM Station

LPFM Station

I hope this is the right place to talk about it, If not move it

How much is to get a freq. on the Non Comm Band at like only 2 miles, with just simple Transmitter

The process is too long to explain in a reply.

Application information and rules for LPFM stations can be found in Subpart G, 47 C.F.R 73.801-73.881 Here is a link:

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...47:4.0.1.1.2.7

A Part 15 system on a clean frequency MAY cover some distance...but doubt it would fit the need...To get a Non-comm signal as a LPFM requires to wait for a filing window to come around..and that wont happen anytime soon. You could try to BUY an existing LPFM..IF one is for sale...if not, you could try for a full service non comm...or try to file for a new allocation and that can get expensive and time consuming....IF a channel is available in the 1st place...

Not sure what you want to do but if only 2 miles away, a Part 15 signal at the right height with a good antenna MAY work....and a Part 15 CAN sell ads......even in the non-comm band....they are not limited by the Part 73 / 74 rules..no EAS, no station logs, etc.

Good luck

This is the place to talk about starting a radio station.

I think you need to determine why you want one. Once you have your answer, you will know whether a part 15 or a few part 15s are best for you or the long and iffy road to a licensed station. I don't suggest you exceed legal power limits since you risk a fine and being unfit in the FCC's eyes to hold a license. Sure, many times you don't get fined but if you are serious about getting a license, the risk is not worth it.

If your mindset is to serve the community and dedicate yourself to the station, a licensed station might be best, perhaps down the road. Expect years of working toward that. If you want to simply 'try' radio and have fun with it, part 15 should be your option. I ran a part 15 until I got my first radio job and now I have a station.

There is no shame in not knowing the details. We all learned, mostly from others in the field that were kind enough to share. You might start by visiting some local radio stations and see if someone might feed your quest for knowledge. Small market stations tend to be more accessible than the bigger stations and typically you will be welcomed in and shown around. You might even try for a part time job to get some hands on experience but the inexperienced mostly must start in small towns.