Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Listener surveys

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Rodeo Cowboy View Post

Maybe you were outvoted by other participants?
    I guess I am the only one that has a strong dislike for "Queen"

Avid Listener
    Quote Originally Posted by fordranger797 View Post
    I guess I am the only one that has a strong dislike for "Queen"
    Considering that one of the most obvious characteristics of the band "Queen" is that their songs were almost as diverse as the Beatles, I cannot imagine how anyone could dislike Queen. I can imagine people absolutely hating some of their songs. But if one takes an example like their album "A Night at the Opera", there are songs from such a wide range of genres that I cannot believe anyone wouldn't find one song that they liked. By the same token, I can't imagine anyone not finding one or two that they absolutely hated.

But, if people fill out surveys of the type this thread is about will condemn a band's entire output because they don't like some of the band's songs, then the answers those people provide through the surveys aren't worth diddly-squat.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Avid Listener View Post
    Considering that one of the most obvious characteristics of the band "Queen" is that their songs were almost as diverse as the Beatles, I cannot imagine how anyone could dislike Queen. I can imagine people absolutely hating some of their songs. But if one takes an example like their album "A Night at the Opera", there are songs from such a wide range of genres that I cannot believe anyone wouldn't find one song that they liked. By the same token, I can't imagine anyone not finding one or two that they absolutely hated.
    A person who does not like any kind of rock (hard, soft, alternative, active, etc.) could well dislike every Queen song. Perhaps their preference is for classic country or hip hop or Urban AC or Regional Mexican or something else.

Not everyone likes rock (or any of its subsets).

But, if people fill out surveys of the type this thread is about will condemn a band's entire output because they don't like some of the band's songs, then the answers those people provide through the surveys aren't worth diddly-squat.
    For programming purposes, stations don't test the names of artists. They test songs in a quantitative process.

For image evaluation stations do perceptual research. Liking many or most of a certain group of artists would be a qualifier or "gate" that determines if the person's response is even worth tabulating (or whether it is worth having that person attend a research function if the questions are posed in a recruit screener.

Since we do not know what the purpose of the questionnaire that has been referred to is, it's impossible to evaluate the meaning of the individual questions that one respondent remembers long after the fact. Like in police work, eyewitnesses reports are unreliable.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Wonder how long it'll take before the "you suits" rant starts again?

Avid Listener
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    A person who does not like any kind of rock (hard, soft, alternative, active, etc.) could well dislike every Queen song. Perhaps their preference is for classic country or hip hop or Urban AC or Regional Mexican or something else.

Not everyone likes rock (or any of its subsets).
    Are you saying that this is a rock song?

How about this song? Is it a rock song?

Is this homage to Rudy Vallee a rock song?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
    Eat poop and die!

Different people have different musical tastes. I happen to like Queen, but I can certainly understand if someone does not share my opinion. Nothing wrong with that....

Quote Originally Posted by Avid Listener View Post
    Are you saying that this is a rock song?

How about this song? Is it a rock song?

Is this homage to Rudy Vallee a rock song?

Rock is part of what is generally called "contemporary music" without modifiers... pop / rock / contemporary /CHR / soft rock / acoustic rock / hard rock /. The broad genre does not include country, jazz, classical, R&B, hip hop, etc.

Those songs are in done by what anyone but you would call rock artists. If you want to pick nits, it pays minimum wage.

Eat poop and die!
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
    We have not had a "suits" rant, but we did get "Eat poop and die!"

The alternative to doing research is what? Playing the PD's personal iPod?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

We have not had a "suits" rant, but we did get "Eat poop and die!"
    Oh, now I get it. I thought that was the name of a song from an audience survey. Until you quoted it back, I didn't realize it was an instructive comment.
    Life is too short to waste time dancing with ugly posts

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast