An investigation regarding talkers
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An investigation regarding talkers

An investigation regarding talkers

I don't listen to national talk radio because the talkers only take calls from paid callers, most of them working for Premiere Radio Networks. These programs such as Rush Limbaugh etc., represent nothing more than commercials for specific political parties. My question is, "Why haven't groups representing Americans stood up and demanded that Congress initiate an investigation into which shows (most likely all of them) are fake and then require each talk show host to announce a disclaimer at the beginning of the program regarding the promotional nature of calls and that the callers are actual paid employees representing the talk show host?"

Here's more>>

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/0...eech-is-a-joke

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by joshzz View Post
    I don't listen to national talk radio because the talkers only take calls from paid callers, most of them working for Premiere Radio Networks. These programs such as Rush Limbaugh etc., represent nothing more than commercials for specific political parties. My question is, "Why haven't groups representing Americans stood up and demanded that Congress initiate an investigation into which shows (most likely all of them) are fake and then require each talk show host to announce a disclaimer at the beginning of the program regarding the promotional nature of calls and that the callers are actual paid employees representing the talk show host?"
    While a talk show might seed an occasional call to kick start a topic, callers on talk shows, whether local or national are not paid.

"Premiere On Call" was set up primarily to get realistic sounding participants in "prank calls" for morning shows on music stations. Because prank calls are severely restricted by the "prior consent" rules and laws, most of them are staged comedy bits, and not real. That's why Premiere called the division "a service for entertainment radio stations" and not a service for talk radios stations.

Having programmed talk stations in some markets like New York, Chicago and LA, I can tell you that we never used paid callers. The only time we might have had a staff member call was to do the first "set up" call to get listeners actively calling in. And those cases were very rare, usually employed when a show was hosted by a non-radio person such as a lawyer or doctor who may have lacked the talk radio skills to get things rolling.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

With all due respect David, I do agree with you that local stations do use real callers but national talkers like Limbaugh and others do use staged callers. There is a big difference between local talk and syndicated talk. Unfortunately, the suits behind the national talkers don't want their "star personality" to have his/her feathers ruffled. So it's all paid staged. Sad but this is the reality they offer us.

Avid Listener
    With all due respect David, I do agree with you that local stations do use real callers but national talkers like Limbaugh and others do use staged callers. There is a big difference between local talk and syndicated talk. Unfortunately, the suits behind the national talkers don't want their "star personality" to have his/her feathers ruffled. So it's all paid staged. Sad but this is the reality they offer us.
    First, I don't believe it. I do believe that the major shows use really good call screeners, and therefore the chances of a "risky" caller getting on the air is very, very slim. Considering that they accept very few calls, and only allow them to remain on the air very briefly, I don't believe that the callers are paid. But more importantly, considering the shape that the nation is in, and all of the truly important things Congress needs to concern itself with, even if your ridiculous allegations were true, it's piss-poor waste of Congress' time to worry about such a trivial, picayune tempest in a teacup.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Avid Listener and I agree here. Programs like the ones mentioned have very good call screeners, and the hosts don't hesitate to hang up on off-topic or nutty callers. I've been in the studios of some of the Premiere talent, and never got the impression that anything was staged.

The "suits" have nothing to do with this. The show host and producer and screener decide what kinds of calls get on the air and there is a delay on everything in case anything rude or offensive is said.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Are we going to do this again?

Premiere On Call provides comedy calls for morning shows. Prove your accusations (you can't) or stop posting this garbage.
    Last edited by Ravens; 01-10-2015 at 10:20 PM.

Here's more>>

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/0...eech-is-a-joke
    Well I will tell you my experience with a syndicated conservative talk show in March of 2013..
    Since I didn't feel like waiting the two hour minimum to talk to a host, I wrote an email about a topic. I questioned him on why he didn't bring something up that was related to the subject. He wrote back and just basically disagreed with me on the subject and I accepted that. The beginning of the show started with him reading my entire letter. WoW, I was excited something I wrote was heard on 150 stations.. Then he and his co host accused me of being liberal (which I am not), then said I had no sense of humor.. I wrote back and thanked him for reading my email and informed him I was a comedy writer and was not a liberal and voted for Mitt Romney. He never wrote back. My point is ...My email was not fake..so I think calls are probably real for the most part because most sound so awful to me sometimes.. Most agree with the host and belly ache about the government all time. Nothing changes.. These hosts do nothing to help the country. They are seeking debates with liberals and if per chance you disagree with them they pounce on you and brand you a liberal. I don't listen to them anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by TGunn View Post
    I think calls are probably real for the most part
    I can tell you for a fact they are.

As has been pointed out, Premiere On Call is a comedy service. Period. End of discussion. This guy posts these threads every once in a while when he reads an attack story on a blog somewhere.

All I can think of now is how much the secretary at this guy's local Congressman's office must hate him. Calling every day to DEMAND talk show investigations.

You guys realize the linked article in the OP is four years old. Four years. It's been discussed and debunked here many times in the past four years.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast