• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Any Hot AC's still playing 80s music?

Jasonthegreat

Frequent Participant
Though 80s titles have become too old to play on Hot AC stations, are there any out there that still include said titles? Also, how many Hot ACs are starting to drop even 90s titles?

There is a debate about whether WLNK Charlotte NC is actually Hot AC.

However, they seem to be playing a lot more of the music that distinguishes hot AC from AC lately.

KLAK (97.5) plays a fair amount of 80s music mixed in with a fairly Hot ACish selection of current music. They're primarily a Sherman/Denison, TX station, but also do get into the North Dallas suburbs like McKinney, Frisco, and Plano.

WREO out of Ashtabula, OH plays a lot of 80s in its mix of 80s-now playlist. They also play a lot of pop and rock songs that never hit the Hot AC chart.

WREO out of Ashtabula, OH plays a lot of 80s in its mix of 80s-now playlist. They also play a lot of pop and rock songs that never hit the Hot AC chart.

This station is not Hot AC, if what I've heard in the last half hour is any indication. It's a small town AC, not very well programmed from a larger market standpoint but it could just be what Ashtabula needs.

WXCV 95.3/ Homosassa, Fl will still sprinkle in an occasional U2 or Cure song, usually "With or Without You" or "Lovesong". Station is a Cumulus Hot AC affiliate, only deviating from said playlist during request hour.

However that is so rare I probably wouldn't count that.

A correction to the above. While WLNK was playing a lot of 80s music on Sunday evenings, which was not necessarily a true representation of what they do, a billboard now says "90s to Now".

WREO-FM in Ashtabula is about an hour west of me. They do play some titles occasionally that have me shake my head. I've heard O-o-h Child from Hall & Oates that I don't think anyone else plays anywhere.

KCAR, a relatively new Hot AC in Joplin, Missouri mixes in some '80s music into their lineup.

I find Star 104.3 (KCAR) odd in ways. They now position as "Hits from the 90s to Now!" but I do hear an occasional 80s song spiked into the playlist. (And they exclusively use 80s songs as stream commercial fillers)

But as more Hot ACs are inching their power spin totals up, Star keeps theirs down.

Here's their playlist recently:

Ariana Grande- Problem
Train- Hey Soul Sister
Hozier- Take Me To Church
Green Day- When I Come Around
Maroon 5- Sugar
Gnarls Barkley- Crazy
Imagine Dragons- On Top of the World
Gwen Stefani- Sweet Escape
Lifehouse- Halfway Gone
Andy Grammer- Honey I'm Good
Meghan Trainor- Lips are Movin'

That's only one current in almost an hour. ("Sugar" is essentially a recurrent as it drops down the chart fast)

They're kind of hovering between Hot AC positioning with an AC playlist. Makes sense with CHR Powerhouse KSYN in market, and no AC in market since KJMK flipped from AC to Classic Hits.

Hope it's ok to ask, what is a "power spin"?

Another way of defining the rotation for the biggest current hits that play more often than any other category.

For example, let's say you have 12 currents in "power" and you play four per hour. Your "power spin" turnover is three hours.

Depending on how you define Hot AC, B106 Columbia SC may be on the list. When the classic hits station changed, B106 started playing more classics, even though it had switched from AC to Hot AC.

BUMP.

WSNE in Taunton MA
WXLO in Fitchburg MA (during specialty shows)
WQRC in Cape Cod (and rival WCOD does too)
WLNH in Laconia NH
WEZR FM in Norway ME
WBMX in Boston MA (only about 5-10 are in rotation at any point)
WRFY in Reading PA (maybe the most ACish hot AC I've ever heard)

Though it's technically an AC, KOHO/Levinworth, WA is a bit of an oddball. I'd call them a Classic Hits Hot AC hybrid, as they alternate between currents and recurrents and 80s music.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom