• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio Is Dead? Really? What are we really saying?

I dunno...did Chuck Barris (writer) and Freddy Cannon (singer) get "greased" for "Palisades Park"?

I dunno...did Chuck Barris (writer) and Freddy Cannon (singer) get "greased" for "Palisades Park"?

If I had arisen as early as I usually do this morning, I would have been even more puzzled by your post. To make up for a very crazy schedule this week, I slept very, very late this morning and your post has left me muttering "What The HEY!" Maybe you could explain the social relevance of your question for those of use still sweeping the cobwebs out of our eyes this morning.

Now about that overnight dust-up of conversation that lasted until the wee hours of this morning.... where did you guys gather for the party... who was furnishing WHAT to drink.... I would blame it on a Full-Moon but we're 10 days or so past that. :confused:

Have we uncovered any "eternal truths" yet on the subject of The Health of Radio? Maybe we need a special version of Obamacare designed to maintain the good health of radio? Politically, that probably wouldn't work because of the folks here who would Talk it to Death!.

About the song:

Barris wrote a song about an amusement park and it was suggested he use the name of an amusement park as the title. One night he was in Manhattan when he looked toward the New Jersey Palisades Cliffs, on which the amusement park sat. That was when inspiration hit and the title was added. Years later the Palisades Amusement Park closed, on September 12, 1971.

More on Wikipedia

So he wrote the song about an amusement park, then added the title of the song from the name of a real one. Whether or not the park ever compensated him is unknown, but my guess is not likely.

I have to admit I was not familiar with the song, so I looked it up. It's a pretty cool tune! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkNVwV5zquM The video has a commercial for the Park before the song, I guess to give context to what the song came to be about.

So he wrote the song about an amusement park, then added the title of the song from the name of a real one.

I remember the song very well during my senior year of high school ('61-'62). Not only was the title named "Palisades Park" but there were specific references to that park in the lyrics as well.

I remember the song very well during my senior year of high school ('61-'62). Not only was the title named "Palisades Park" but there were specific references to that park in the lyrics as well.

That song was in regular rotation on WDRC-FM Hartford during its oldies years. Most of the references in it could have been to any amusement park: the Ferris wheel, the tunnel of love, the roller coaster, the merry-go-round, the hot dog stand. But a ride called the Loop-de-Loop was also mentioned; was the Loop-de-Loop only at Palisades Park?

That song was in regular rotation on WDRC-FM Hartford during its oldies years. Most of the references in it could have been to any amusement park: the Ferris wheel, the tunnel of love, the roller coaster, the merry-go-round, the hot dog stand. But a ride called the Loop-de-Loop was also mentioned; was the Loop-de-Loop only at Palisades Park?

Please read post #223 that has a link to Wikipedia that tells the history of the song. Thanks.

I can't answer that as the park was closing just as I got to Noo Yawk. I think the rides referred to in the song are mostly generic and were attractions at most large amusement parks of the day. I don't remember seeing an actual loop-de-loop until visiting Knotts Berry Farm in the late 70's. Other parks may have had them though.

Here is a link to the lyrics and you can hear the song here as well: http://www.lyriczz.com/lyrics/freddy-cannon/14820-palisades-park/

So, in researching the dream, I've come to read that LIVE 365 has hosting arrangements that cover all the copyright royalty fees, including the monster amount for SoundExchange.
Thoughts?

So, in researching the dream, I've come to read that LIVE 365 has hosting arrangements that cover all the copyright royalty fees, including the monster amount for SoundExchange.
Thoughts?

They cover it by billing the station operator. If the station has a lot of listeners who listen for a long time, that could run thousands of dollars.

Their basic package allows for 1000 hours a month. There are 720 hours in a month. Ten people who listen 50 hours a month eats up 500 hours of your monthly allowance. If you have 50 regular listeners who listen for 10 hours a week, you have to pay $100 a month. The costs increase geometrically. How do you pay for that?

its a japanese brand car, I like my chevrolet orlando 2015. seven seater enough for my family of seven member. Radio AM or FM for that matter is not dead here in our place . The format of programming is the most important now - its the CONTENT not the technology . When our province hit by SuperTyphoon Yolanda (Haiyan ) the most powerful typhoon I expereince in my life, all communication/internet satellite on the center of the hit area is toppled down/disconnected , even news gathering sstaion lost all satellite, tower, generator cars all swept by storm surge (like tsunami) . other AM radio as far as 500 km that continoue to broadcast in 24 hour to monitor the situation is the only medium that help save other lives, people on the disaster area keep listening to their battery operated radio . WE lost more than 7000 plus people on that typhoon that bring storm surge that killed more people.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom