93.5 in Palm Beach County - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 93.5 in Palm Beach County

Even if it becomes a Class A out of West Palm Beach, what about 93.7 WGYL in Vero Beach? That seems awfully close...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottBurns View Post
    Even if it becomes a Class A out of West Palm Beach, what about 93.7 WGYL in Vero Beach? That seems awfully close...
    It is close, but WLLY-FM 99.5 A Palm Beach Gardens works with WJKD-FM 99.7 C2 Vero Beach, so it should work for WBGF-FM 93.5 A in relation to WGLY-FM 93.7 C2 Vero Beach as the minimum first adjacent class A to C2 separation requirement is the same in both cases.
    Last edited by jmtillery; 05-04-2016 at 03:58 PM.
    Jeffrey M. 'Mark' Tillery
    J. M. Tillery & Associates, P. A.
    Email Contact: jmtillery1@aol.com

That makes sense then. I cannot believe how poor 93.5's signal is in much of Palm Beach County. On my car radio, it is extremely scratchy on Congress Ave. in Boynton Beach.

I just looked up the two Vero stations and found that 93.7 is actually about ten miles south of 99.7.
    All things being equal, 93.5 would probably need to be about ten miles south of 99.5, which is not bad because 99.5 transmits from several miles north of downtown.
    One station that would have presented a stumbling block, but is no longer an issue, would have been the one that is the IF frequency above 93.5, but they have literally gone south.
    Last edited by ai4i; 05-05-2016 at 01:46 AM.
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!

David Francis
    Even if WBGF downgrade from a 15,500 C3, to a Class A between 3 to 6,000 watts, the IHeart translator W228BV at 179 watts/264 ft (93.5 “The Bull”) is still going to be an interference problem for JVC’s 93.5 WBGF (“The Bar”).

One would hope that, once WBGF moves 7 miles east (remaining as a C3), or moving further (an additional 40 miles), all the way into DT West Palm Beach as a Class A -- JVC’s next step is to get the the W228BV translator off the air.

If you look at WLML 100.3, and the location of the now off the air IHeart translator that was on 100.3 in Fort Lauderdale, and compare the distance between the two – you’ll notice it’s practically the same distance between JVC’s 93.5 and IHeart’s 93.5 translator . . . and Dick Robinson successful petitioned the FCC to get IHeart’s 100.3 translator off the air because of the interference. So, I believe JVC can get IHeart’s translator off the air as well.

Even though WLML is local to Boyton, distant to Boca Raton, and fringe to Pompano, with IHeart’s 100.3 off the air, I can pick up (and listen to often, because it’s programming and on air presentation is excellent), nicely, with minimal fuzz.

In fact, before W228BV went on the air, you could pick up 93.5 WBGF in Southern Palm Beach and Northern Broward with minimal fuzz. Currently, you can’t -- one needs to travel past Linton Blvd. to pick up WBGF, and even then, you’re still picking up pieces of W228BV.

All in all, the reduction to a Class A between 3 to 6,000 watts is the better option. WLML is a 4,000 Class A and doing quite well, and back in the day, the Broward School Board’s WKPX 88.5, a 3,000 Class A was very popular with a loyal listenership and image during that alternative rock boom in the early to mid-90s. So, I think WBGF will do really well, provided they go Class A into the heart of West Palm Beach, and get W228BV off the air.

I was of the school of concern that either move of WBGF 93.5 The Bar would cause problems for 93.7 WGYL C2 /50,000 transmitter in Vero Beach, but, as it has been pointed out and cleared up, neither move -- as C3 or Class A -- will cause a problem for WGYL 93.7. If it did, I am sure Vero Beach Broadcasters would already be all over it, and we'd find intel on the web of them opposing the current CP moving WBGF seven miles east as a C3 --I can't find anything of a sort.

Quote Originally Posted by David Francis View Post
    Even if WBGF downgrade from a 15,500 C3, to a Class A between 3 to 6,000 watts,
    the IHeart translator W228BV at 179 watts/264 ft (93.5 “The Bull”) is still going to be an interference problem for JVC’s 93.5 WBGF (“The Bar”).
    It has been pointed out numerous times by numerous people in numerous threads, that translators and LPFM's are secondary services.
    If any interference is found to exist, either in theory, in practice, or from the ramblings of an irate but dedicated listener,
    the translator or LPFM shuts down without any argument.
    Last edited by frankberry; 05-14-2016 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Complaint about offensive text.
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!

It looks like the 54 DBU service contour will hit West Palm Beach from the new C3 tower site. The 60 DBU appears to end right at Royal Palm Beach.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtillery View Post
    It looks like the 54 DBU service contour will hit West Palm Beach from the new C3 tower site. The 60 DBU appears to end right at Royal Palm Beach.
    The caveat there is that somewhere around 95% of all at-home and at-work listening takes place inside the 65 dbu contour.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

David Francis
    With all the chatter about 93.5 moving its transmitter . . . . Wanted to see the ratings. The overalls are out on Radio Online for West Palm Beach.

WBGF is 2nd to dead last with a 0.2 (up from a 0.1) and being beat by --

WAY Media's non-commercial Christian CHR WAYF 88.1 with a 3.4

Dade County Public School's WLRN 91.3 with a 1.9

Moody Bible Institute's non-commerical religious talk/music WRMB with a 1.3

Even JVC's own WSVU (93.5 The Palm) is beating their own rock outlet with 1.1

Just wow. Rock just does not work in South Florida. Will a C3 transmitter move seven miles east, or downgrading to a Class A to get into the heart of West Palm Beach even help WBGF and rock in general?

WBGF, as rock station, will be on the air two years by November, and the best an rock/active rock-alternative format can do is a 0.1 and 0.2's? I haven't seen numbers this bad since the abortive "92.1 The Planet" (the old WNGS "Wings 92" lite favorites) from Clear Channel tried to go head-to-head with 103.1 The Buzz. The Buzz had better numbers than WBGF, and CBS pulled the plug. And right now, with the numbers that WBGF are showing, there is no way Alpha Media will ever roll the dice and move 103theBuzz.com from/off the web and back onto a terrestrial outlet (a hope that some rock radio lovers have floated).

Which is a shame, because, both stations, are programmed and presented very well.
    Last edited by David Francis; 05-11-2016 at 10:51 AM.

WPBZ "The Buzz" had better numbers than WBGF because 103.1 was (and still is) a 100kw class C1 with a city grade service contour over all of West Palm Beach unlike 93.5 which has a a very weak rimshot signal at best. Signal makes the difference, then programming and promotions then sales; and in that order.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast