93.5 in Palm Beach County
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 93.5 in Palm Beach County

93.5 in Palm Beach County

Assuming that the rumor of 93.5's stick moving 7 miles east is not true, what can be done to help this station's signal? As we have discussed, it is barely listenable from Lake Worth south. With several translators already taken and owned by different companies, is there anything else that JVC can do? Are there any other translators that can be bought?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottBurns View Post
    Assuming that the rumor of 93.5's stick moving 7 miles east is not true, what can be done to help this station's signal? As we have discussed, it is barely listenable from Lake Worth south. With several translators already taken and owned by different companies, is there anything else that JVC can do? Are there any other translators that can be bought?
    Got curious about 93.5 WBGF "The Bar" and it's move 8 miles from HERE at Water Plant Road off U.S 27 and South Bay to HERE just east of Belle Glade to Whitaker Road off East Canal Street.

Looking at CONTOUR MAP on Radio Locator, WBGF's "distant" signal will sweep West Palm Beach and Boca Raton, the "fringe" will reach Fort Lauderdale. The FCC application shows the construction permit was granted on 1/6/2016.

There's quite a bit of chatter on the subject on the RD boards HERE, at "93.5 Translator in Fort Lauderdale" (that is, "The Bull 93.5" an Iheart Station), HERE "Too Many 93.5's in South Florida" (which discusses, the "the Bar" and "the Bull" and "Evolution" -- the Bull and Evolution are both Iheart stations), and HERE "93.5 is gone" regarding the Bull's erratic on / off air record.

There is some off the RD boards chatter over on R.I HERE and HERE, for those who want to read up and piece things together.

Is this move happening. I definitely see it interfering with 93.5 The Bull in Fort Lauderdale (but I feel its more that The Bull interfers with The Bar). But even more alarming is that WGYL in Vero Beach, (on Facebook HERE) would be adversly affected by this proposed 8 mile move of the 93.5 WBGF tower and transmitter.

While I am the opinion that 93.5 WBGF needs trumps the needs of a 93.5 translator and the translator should be removed from air for its interference, I feel that WGYL 93.7 needs trump the needs of WBGF. Someone previously mentioned the use of a translator for 93.5 The Bar (in other threads).

I did notice that 95.9 The Palm, their sister station, which is also broadcasting on 960 AM (the old Seaview 960) and translated in the metropolitan West Palm Beach on FM translator W240CI, at 95.9 FM and heard in Jupiter-based translator W295BJ, at 106.9 FM. With an AM and two translators, I am sure they can use one of these three frequencies (the AM, or Translators) to improve 93.5 WBGF's coverage, as opposed to moving the x-mitter and tower. And really, how good is the news/brokered talk of their sister station 900 "The Talk" doing? Wouldn't it be more beneficial to dupe the "The Bar's" rock programming on the 900 signal?

Last edited by sundance kid; 03-07-2016 at 04:12 PM.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance kid View Post
    [
    Looking at CONTOUR MAP on Radio Locator, WBGF's "distant" signal will sweep West Palm Beach and Boca Raton, the "fringe" will reach Fort Lauderdale. The FCC application shows the construction permit was granted on 1/6/2016.
    The useful coverage... that is where people actually will truly tune in to a station at home and at work, is about 20% inside the inner red contour of radio-locator.com. So for all practical purposes, the station is still primarily a Belle Glade facility as the 65 dbu only moves a couple of miles to the east. It definitely will not produce any greater interference in the protected contours of any other full facility.

Keep in mind that translators are not protected against changes in facility by full A, B or C FMs.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    The useful coverage...that is where people actually will truly tune in to a station at home and at work...
    ...would barely scrape Wellington and Royal PB.
    Think "full quieting" while driving around buildings and trees because nothing else matters.
    Last edited by ai4i; 03-07-2016 at 08:21 PM.
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!

(sorry, double-posting)

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ai4i View Post
    ...would barely scrape Wellington and Royal PB.
    Think "full quieting" while driving around buildings and trees because nothing else matters.
    But in-car ("driving around") is the smaller part of all listening.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

But in-car ("driving around") is the smaller part of all listening.
    I believe that you would agree that my example is probably good for not having to move a radio around the room and be playing with the antenna. When I was a child, we had a floor model TV - phonograph - radio console and I would actually lift up one side and pivot it around (fortunately, this was the first model year with built-in degaussers) so I could null out WFUN and listen to Jerry & Dottie Cowan's "Happy Station" program on R. Netherlands on 800 at night...
    Last edited by ai4i; 03-07-2016 at 09:41 PM.

To put things back on track and topic regarding the 93.5 frequency in Palm Beach . . . that is, WBGF . . . .

Discussing radio over beers last night . . . an opinion expressed that this transmitter / tower move offers minimal improvement to coverage of 93.5 "The Bar," and won't have any impact on improving the station image, ratings, or increased advertising revenue for the Bar. And as ai4i stated, The Bar still does not reach Wellington or Royal PB.

Anyway, the opinion expressed was that the move is "spit and polish" to make the station more desirable to sell it, as the purchase of 93.5 WBGF was a bad buy in the first place. And if you read through the above linked threads in post number #2, the "bad buy" opinion is not a new one, as it has been expressed on several occasions.
    Last edited by sundance kid; 03-08-2016 at 10:48 AM.

David Francis
    Interesting, on, of all places, the Florida job boards on All Access.com, entitled R.I.P. Active Rock Radio 1986-2016 and talking about how Active Rock, Modern Rock (aka Alternative Rock radio) were distinct and separate formats - now all jumbled together - and the refusal to "fix" active rock radio to its glory days. Just found the post interesting . . . and thought it worth sharing to start a discussion.

My understanding is there are a few things in the works to move the tower even closer to WPB. It appears WBGF may be a good candidate to move right into WPB if it were to downgrade to a class A. That very thing was made possible when 99.5 C3 moved from Clewiston to Palm Beach Gardens as 99.5 A a few years ago.
    Jeffrey M. 'Mark' Tillery
    J. M. Tillery & Associates, P. A.
    Email Contact: jmtillery1@aol.com

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast