• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Songs that weren't country to begin with

It's not all high voices, just the BG's (is that the correct way to spell it?" The condition I have is that not only do I hear sounds, but I feel them physically, not all sounds, but certain words, voices, and music. Some of them feel very good, but some, like the BG's singing in their high voices, feel really weird and make my insides feel like they're crawling. Not all high voices, although I prefer low voices, but those particular guys I can't deal with when they sing high.

Were the Gibb Brothers singing in their natural voices or the falsettos they used in the disco days? I love the way they sounded in the 60s, but unfortunately I can't do the high voices on 70s recordings, as I have a rare form of synesthesia that is affected by sound, and I just can't handle hearing them sing a whole song like that.

It took me less than a single minute to look up this video on Youtube to hear the actual song itself. If there's any song you want to hear, chances are you can look it up on Youtube and listen to it.

I'm aware of Youtube, I was just trying to ask before I looked it up so as not to get a bad trigger, as it feels really weird and I don't like to seek out that feeling. Thankfully they're not singing in their high voices, but it is still giving me bad triggers *quickly looks up the Dolly parton/Kenny Rogers version*.

Your opinion was merely an attempt at trolling.

And that's a fact.

No, the fact is that you made a statement about Johnny Cash always sounding "country" no matter what he recorded, and I gave an example that in my opinion disproved that.

If anyone was attempting to troll in that circumstance, t'wasn't me.

No, the fact is that you made a statement about Johnny Cash always sounding "country" no matter what he recorded, and I gave an example that in my opinion disproved that.

If anyone was attempting to troll in that circumstance, t'wasn't me.

Then clean out your ears! Listen to this and tell me that Cash's voice didn't sound like Johnny Cash's country sounding voice. Yes, the instrumental background did not sound country, but Cash's voice sure as hell did. If your opinion is to the contrary, then you clearly have a tin ear.

Frankly, I don't think you're capable of recognizing what a country vocal sounds like.

Anything Johnny Cash sings sounds country. The instrumentation, not so much, but the vocals, hard core.

I always thought of Johnny Cash as more of a folk singer in the style of Woody Guthrie than a country singer like either Ernest Tubb or Eddy Arnold.

Anything Johnny Cash sings sounds country. The instrumentation, not so much, but the vocals, hard core.

That's the response of someone who recognizes music when she hears it.

I always thought of Johnny Cash as more of a folk singer in the style of Woody Guthrie than a country singer like either Ernest Tubb or Eddy Arnold.

And that's the response of someone who doesn't totally understand music. Tubb and Arnold were country singers, but "country" is a big tent. Had Woody Guthrie been around in a later generation, he would have been a country singer.

Avid listener is correct. Country music is a huge category and there are so many "flavors" for lack of a better description, of country, from the twangy sounds of Earnest Tubb and Hank Sr., to the folk sounds of Johnny Cash, to the Nashville sound of Eddie Arnold, Jim Reeves, Patsy Cline ETC, and a whole lot in between. And then of course we have today's country, which does nothing for me, but to each his or her own I guess.

And that's the response of someone who doesn't totally understand music. Tubb and Arnold were country singers, but "country" is a big tent. Had Woody Guthrie been around in a later generation, he would have been a country singer.

That's the response of someone who doesn't know music history. Those three were contemporaries. Guthrie lived until 1967, and he was making music when Eddy and even Johnny were having hits. Woody's problem was political. He was a leftist, and his politics were unpopular in the south. And there was a similarity between folk music and country music at the same time, politics kept the two genres apart. Country music in fact was called folk music in the first half of the 20th century. Jimmie Rodgers, the father of country music, was a folk singer in his time. Country may have been a big tent, but it was regional, and reflected the politics of the south. This is also a reason why country rock performers like Gram Parsons were not embraced by country music. So it was possible for artists who had been accepted by country music to make music that sounded like Woody, and Cash's songs like One Piece At a Time or The Man In Black sound very much like Woody's music. But Woody himself would never have been accepted by country music. For example, it took Kenny Rogers ten years to divorce himself from his time in the Kingston Trio and the First Edition, in order to begin to get accepted as a country singer, and even then, he got into the Country Music Hall of Fame far later than he should have.

Last edited:
It's not all high voices, just the BG's (is that the correct way to spell it?" The condition I have is that not only do I hear sounds, but I feel them physically, not all sounds, but certain words, voices, and music. Some of them feel very good, but some, like the BG's singing in their high voices, feel really weird and make my insides feel like they're crawling. Not all high voices, although I prefer low voices, but those particular guys I can't deal with when they sing high.
I personally like their rendition of "Islands." Listening to it now, and I don't hear any particularly falsetto vocals on this one. I feel like the excessive falsettoes, along with the disco backlash, were among the reasons that the BeeGees became outcasts in the '80s. Add in the fact that Kenny Rogers was trying too hard to have "crossover" hits about that time, and then the anti-crossover backlash set in for a few years, as well.

I did listen to the Beegees version, and even though there was no falsetto, I still got a bad trigger, not sure why, their voices I guess. That was a few days ago but it was pretty bad and I still shudder to think of it. I can't explain, and I know it's weird.

I did listen to the Beegees version, and even though there was no falsetto, I still got a bad trigger, not sure why, their voices I guess. That was a few days ago but it was pretty bad and I still shudder to think of it. I can't explain, and I know it's weird.

Do you get the bad reactions just to forced-sounding falsettos like those of the Bee Gees, or more natural falsettos such as Russell Thompkins of the Stylistics? How about Frankie Valli?

I think it's specifically the Beegees, as I can handle other high voices. There is one song that I can think of that says something about emotion which soft rock stations like to play that is absolutely one of the worst triggers I have ever had. I can't remember the title, but I certainly don't want to look it up as that is a very unpleasant feeling. Man that song should have a warning label attached to it *shudder*.

I think it's specifically the Beegees, as I can handle other high voices. There is one song that I can think of that says something about emotion which soft rock stations like to play that is absolutely one of the worst triggers I have ever had. I can't remember the title, but I certainly don't want to look it up as that is a very unpleasant feeling. Man that song should have a warning label attached to it *shudder*.

I'll bet it's "Emotion" by Samantha Sang. The backing voices are -- you guessed it -- the Bee Gees.

*Looks it up on YouTube* Ugh yes that's it. Ooh it feels weird, especially on the chorus. The verses are okay, but the chorus is just...*shudder*.

I just heard "I Swear" by John Michael Montgomery on a commercial for a concert or something.

I don't remember who was first, but I think it's a song that didn't start out country.

I just heard "I Swear" by John Michael Montgomery on a commercial for a concert or something.

I don't remember who was first, but I think it's a song that didn't start out country.

All 4 One took the song to #1 for 11 weeks in 1994 but Montgomery had the original version.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom