• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Where Oldies Music Still Lives

I recall about 1980 one of the format providers (maybe Peters or Broadcast Programming) we got a mailer from offered a beautiful music format based on country versus pop music. It was MOR artists doing vocal covers of country songs and orchestrated versions of country songs with a bit of Chet Atkins, Danny Davis & The Nashville Brass and sort tossed in for good measure. Although my cup of tea, I recall thinking what a great idea. Some many, especially rural areas had country stations and since those rural areas had older populations, the idea was a natural since these were covers of what the local station played. Also about that time, lots of towns had recently signed on an FM to supplement their AM and like so many FMs at the time, would have been automated.

By the way, this was different from what was pitched as 'The Natural Sound' where they tried to bridge soft pop and easy country songs in the pre-Urban Cowboy days. This was all vocal.

RE: The Natural Sound: The Natural Sound was a mix of AC and easy country hits, done by Broadcast Programming during the 1990's (and probably earlier). Whether they got it from one of the companies who's format contracts they bought, I don't know. It didn't after they were bought by one of the companies who bought them.

Don't recall a BFL vs. Country version of that format happening at BPI. Might have been the other format company you mentioned.

Music Just For The Two Of Us was also a BP format. I'm not sure if they got it from another company or not. It was love songs, EZL oriented.

I remember both The Natural Sound and Music Just From The Two Of Us. It may have been a different company. I was in a small market station then, so I'm guessing the smaller companies (ie: cheaper than most) likely had us on their mailing list.

I do recall a format, I think was Broadcast Programming, that used a Seattle AM station as a demo. The format was 'Lite and Lively'. It was 25% instrumentals mostly from the 1960s forward. Instrumentals were more upbeat than traditional beautiful music and 75% was vocal (stuff like Leaving on a Jet Plane by Peter Paul & Mary, Sunshine on My Shoulders by John Denver, etc.). It seemed an attempt to attract a younger demographic than beautiful music.

well such is the case. WFAT will end it's 'Graffiti-Gold' format the end of the month. They along with WFNX (99.9) will then simulcast AAA WXRV Andover/Boston.

Nearly two years later, WFAT is still grinding along with its odd mix of pre-British Invasion rock 'n' roll and pop along with moldy country oldies. Hardly any advertising, so I have no idea how they're paying the electric bills.

I remember both The Natural Sound and Music Just From The Two Of Us. It may have been a different company. I was in a small market station then, so I'm guessing the smaller companies (ie: cheaper than most) likely had us on their mailing list.

I do recall a format, I think was Broadcast Programming, that used a Seattle AM station as a demo. The format was 'Lite and Lively'. It was 25% instrumentals mostly from the 1960s forward. Instrumentals were more upbeat than traditional beautiful music and 75% was vocal (stuff like Leaving on a Jet Plane by Peter Paul & Mary, Sunshine on My Shoulders by John Denver, etc.). It seemed an attempt to attract a younger demographic than beautiful music.

Music Just for the Two Of Us was from Peters Productions in San Diego, which was bought out by BPI in the late 80s. We ran an AC format from BPI that had originated from Peters. The first set of tape boxes still had the "Peters Productions" labels on them.

I think The Natural Sound also was Peters, then BPI. We had a couple of sister stations in other markets that ran it, but by that time it was from BPI and distributed on CD rather than tape.

Asheville NC has an HD channel also heard on 97.3 FM.

Do you remember stuffing people in phone booths?

Do you remember phone booths?

Nearly two years later, WFAT is still grinding along with its odd mix of pre-British Invasion rock 'n' roll and pop along with moldy country oldies. Hardly any advertising, so I have no idea how they're paying the electric bills.

They are using the feed from Mid Century Radio which owns WKCE and WPLB. Both those station do have some advertising. If you listen to WKCE from 8AM to 10 AM eastern time they have Roger Morgan on the air and he takes requests. He also does the same thing on WPLB 5 PM to 6 PM eastern . The stations are owned by his son. Also in Los Angeles we have AM 1260 KSUR playing 50's through 70's music. Almost no advertising on that station which is a family owned station. They must be paying the bills on that one from income on the other stations they own.

WKCE is an expensive hobby. Saving grace is high school sports, money-wise. There are a limitred number of geeks and collectors in their coverage area

Asheville NC has an HD channel also heard on 97.3 FM.

Do you remember stuffing people in phone booths?

Do you remember phone booths?
I didn't think to check to see if this was online but I enjoyed it so much this year I am definitely adding it to my list of choices.

http://pureoldies973.com/

No commercials unless you count great classic commercials.

I also heard at least one classic commercial on a special program that runs on a classic country station on Saturday afternoon from 3 to 5.

http://lightningstream.com/player.aspx?call=WAME-AM/

Keep in mind they're subsidized by the other stations in their group. So there is a cost, and someone is listening to commercials, just not you.
Well, I tried the main station, and the truck comes by my house every Thursday to dispose of what they play.

Here's a thought, and I bet stations would love to be able to do this.

It works during the Super Bowl. TiVo has commercial skip in reverse. Is there a way I can listen to the commercials on WOXL like I listen to commercials on most online stations I listen to, but without putting up with what passes for music on WOXL? Then I could support this great oldies station in that way.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom