Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much experience will I need before getting a full time gig in the radio biz?

How much experience will I need before getting a full time gig in the radio biz?

I've been doing some substitute on-air work lately on a local radio station, and I absolutely love it. I've been on the air somewhere between 15 and 20 times, but all spread out over a few months. While I am loving the experience, I'd really like to get more opportunities to fill-in (once a month is about typical). I am curious about how long it will be until I start receiving more fill-in offers, or even a chance to do some form of a steady shift? [By "steady shift" I am DEFINITELY not referring to drive time, or anything in a major market!]

Sorry if I am jumping ahead too quickly, but I am eager to advance a little in my radio career. On the plus side, I have moved on from being the guy who sets up the t-shirt booths...
    Last edited by fordranger797; 10-13-2014 at 01:46 AM.

Have you actually applied anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Have you actually applied anywhere?
    I've been hesitant... I feel like the PD will direct my application to the "round file" after they see how young I am without listening to any of my airchecks.

Have you had a sit-down with the PD of the station where you're filling in now? That's the first step. Get an evaluation. Areas to improve. Ways in which you can do more. Think where you'd like to be 1 year from now, 2 years, etc. Then ask for advice. What would he suggest for you to reach your short term goal.

Have you had a sit-down with the PD of the station where you're filling in now? That's the first step. Get an evaluation. Areas to improve. Ways in which you can do more. Think where you'd like to be 1 year from now, 2 years, etc. Then ask for advice. What would he suggest for you to reach your short term goal.
    That is really good advice. I actually did something that not too long ago, talk to the PD about how I sounded, and they appeared to be extremely impressed with my shows. I definitely do not have the flawlessness and finesse that a radio veteran has, but all of the feedback was very positive.

Unfortunately, when you are around a team of very talented radio veterans, its difficult to have opportunities to hop on.

Our present news/sports director wandered in the station one Saturday afternoon with a CD. At that time he was in college, had a CD of his baseball play-by-play on the university station.

Radio openings are scarce, but people interested in radio are getting scarcer. Make a demo CD, resume, circulate it around. Never can tell when something may open up.

FredLeonard
    Many jobs are not filled through the formal, traditional application process. Network. Make contacts. Socialize. Don't make it about feedback or finding out if there are openings. Just make sure as many people as possible in the biz know you. If an opening does occur, you're ahead. Sometimes openings are made because somebody likes somebody.

This applies in radio or most any field.

Somewhere between 0 and 20 years.

Once you think you can do this full time, apply for EVERY SINGLE JOB you think you can do. The worst they can do is ignore you. Be ready to move.

And Fred is right. Who you know is 90% of radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens View Post

And Fred is right. Who you know is 90% of radio.
    Who you know, and who THEY know. My big break came when someone I had worked with told me about a new station. He was part of it, and he got me in as well. So don't be afraid to ask the people you know, and who know your work, if they've heard about openings.

Who you know, and who THEY know. My big break came when someone I had worked with told me about a new station. He was part of it, and he got me in as well. So don't be afraid to ask the people you know, and who know your work, if they've heard about openings.
    That is also a really good idea. I got along great with other airstaff at first, but after I started filling in, things changed a little. I guess jealousy is indeed part of the radio business, and I completely understand. Sure, I may only have a fraction of their talent, but still, I am someone else. I guess that means I just need to apply until I can get myself in.
    Last edited by fordranger797; 10-13-2014 at 06:32 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast