Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could this alternative method of selling spots work?

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bossbill View Post
    Also, asking listeners to mention an ad to get a discount can bite you in the butt. The advertiser then can say "I tried radio and it didn't work".
    After trying them out on me, a car dealer once showed me a trade magazine article that had a title something like "10 easy ways to get rid of a radio salesperson".

The article had a list of "objections" that most sellers couldn't deal with well or which just flustered them.

After overcoming, or ignoring, all of them, the guy bought from me. But the one I liked best was when he took me to the service area and said, "see, none of the car radios here are tuned to your station". I replied "That's because you don't advertise on it an 'my' people don't know about you".

There is no end to the direct advertiser's ways of postponing or avoiding an advertising decision. And when they do decide, they have an arsenal of ways to try to get better rates.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

The "membership card" idea is nothing new. The "Music Of Your Life" station here (now a sports talker) tried such a gimmick back in the 80's; I don't think the cards were bar-coded but they were individually numbered. (I may even still have mine somewhere!) You showed your card at various merchants for a discount, and they would draw a number daily and award a gift certificate or similar prize. Back in the 60's, a local TV station ran a lucky-number promotion connected with pinback buttons mailed out to kids who watched "Bozo the Clown." The Bozo-button gimmick ran for years; I'm not sure how long the "Music Of Your Life" promotion lasted. They're nice while they last.

The membership card has been used and works in select instances. It is tough, however. It works best as a discount card.

Radio listening is much more passive that other media. That is the big risk.

I sold radio advertising. This is a real life example. A new boat rental company opened up at a popular lake. I sold them a schedule centering on weekends, specifically around the paydays of the first and fifteenth of the month. The only other advertising they bought was in a Fishing Magazine preceding a fishing tournament at the lake. The owner asked every customer where they heard about his boat rental. In first place was the Fishing Magazine. Second Place was the newspaper (he did NO newspaper advertising), Third Place was the Yellow Pages (his business was too new to be in the phone book and the internet was not around) and in last place was radio. The owner considered the phone book and newspaper responses to be from radio as they were local residents that were renting boats.

The result was most people had no idea where they heard about the boat rental company but locally, it had to have been radio since that was the only place the business was ever mentioned in the localized area. Granted a membership card would have changed those numbers.

A Dairy Queen that never advertised on radio did a one time schedule for their popular red beans and cornbread lunch special. The special was $2.50 back in 1980 when we tried it. Our advertised price was 99 cents if you said radio. Nobody said radio and paid $2.50 per the owner although the owner said it was the busiest they had ever been. They never bought again on the station I was working for because in their mind, radio didn't work. I made a mistake. I focused on people asking instead of customer count. If we had focused on customer count instead, they might have become a regular advertiser.

My Dad was questioned by me when he managed a bookstore. He advertised on radio. He noticed sales were up when he did advertise but in years of advertising on several stations, it was always the same: an increase in sales that dropped when the schedule ended. In all those years he never came across a single person that was there because of radio, as far as the customer knew. As new customers he knew they heard about the store through radio advertising. He did not buy print, ironically.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12