• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Library of Congress launches local radio archive project

D

diymedia

The National Recording Preservation Board, an arm of the Library of Congress, recently established a Radio Preservation Task Force charged with developing plans for a national archive of local radio broadcasts. As you know, ample archives exist of national TV (and some radio) broadcasts, but little of the sort exists for local stations.

Phase one of the project is to scour the country to get a sense of what sort of recorded local radio material exists. I'm the designated faculty research associate for Brooklyn, Long Island, Staten Island, and a goodly portion of New Jersey, but other folks like me have their own geographical responsibilities.

At present, we're looking for archives of recorded broadcast material, primarily from 1920-1980 (though these numbers are pretty arbitrary). The NRPB's primary interest is in locating materials from institutions like universities, libraries, and museums, as well as private collections, and the primary goal at this point is to just find out if such materials exist, where, and their scope. The next phase will be to assess their content and quality, and then work on a plan to digitally archive them.

If you know of existing archives of local radio broadcast material, public or private, I'd love to hear from you. You can respond in this thread, or e-mail me directly at john (at) diymedia (dot) net. If you know of archives outside of my own designated area of responsibility, feel free to pass them along as well - or check out more about the Radio Preservation Task Force at its new webpage.

Start by searching Youtube for local hosts. This will be good if the public can access them when they're digitally archived, but it will take a long time.

yeah, youtube was going to be my first suggestion. there's a guy on there that has stuff 'as far back' as 1970. radio archives I think is the name of the YT channel. anything I have would be from one station and too modern for your request...

Send me some target-names, and I'll get on it. Like I said, I'm not sure why they're stopping at 1980, but I suspect that it will be expanded as the project moves into the second phase, so send that along, too.

Bumping this to announce that we're in round 2 of collecting metadata on recording archives. We think we've got the college/university/historical societies locked down, now we're looking for archives at radio stations and personal collections. If you're interested in joining our affiliate archives/collectors, drop me a line and I've got a short nine-question survey for you to fill out with as much or as little information as you can.

At present, we're looking for archives of recorded broadcast material, primarily from 1920-1980 (though these numbers are pretty arbitrary).

Not all. Radio pretty much went down the toilet after 1980.

You mean the Museum of Broadcasting/Paley Center in New York or the Museum of Broadcast Communications doesn't already have such collections? Typical of the g'ummit to think it has to reinvent the wheel. And to ignore broadcasters as sources.

Also typical that they waited 95 years to consider doing something like this.

Paley and the Museum are big on archiving commercial media at the network level. This effort, as of now, is an attempt to uncover archives of noncommercial/educational and primarily local station recordings.

While this may be a project affiliated with the Library of Congress, none of us are working for the "g'ummit" directly. We're interested in radio history and would like to try and find a way to preserve as much of it as we can. The industry's had 95 years to do something like this....

I've reached out to Rick for an inventory...no response so far.

I'll bump this - dlymedia - if you would like to connect regarding reelradio, please email me at [email protected]. I am on the board.

Personally, it's high time we seriously started archiving these collections for posterity. Tapes don't last forever.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom