Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: KRKO/KKXA To Test All Digital AM Broadcasting

KRKO/KKXA To Test All Digital AM Broadcasting

In a move guaranteed to give our DXers fits, KRKO 1380 and KKXA 1520 will begin testing All Digital AM Broadcasting from Oct. 2nd - 5th......
    My body is a temple; Ancient and crumbling. Probably cursed and haunted...

I saw that as well. So the signals will be off completely?

Analog ones likely.

Quote Originally Posted by fordranger797 View Post
    I saw that as well. So the signals will be off completely?
    If you have an HD Radio, you can receive all digital signals.

Interesting...

I'm assuming that CAAM broadcasting knows that the vast majority of their listeners do not have HD radios, nor will they upgrade.

I have a HD radio in my VW Passat and was scanning my AM band it had to be at least a year ago and those signals were coming in as HD so Im not sure what there is to test- I too was surprised to see this- but I guess it works just fine on AM too. It sounded great.

Quote Originally Posted by fordranger797 View Post
    Interesting...

I'm assuming that CAAM broadcasting knows that the vast majority of their listeners do not have HD radios, nor will they upgrade.
    It is quite interesting. But remember, they're TESTING. Likely picking overnights and hours when no one is really listening. But that NOISE is going to be hard to live down if anyone hears it. They don't plan any immediate abandonment of analog, but when it's "economically feasible", likely when there are more people with HD radios.

Could take a while. Maybe even a government sponsored conversion plan and cut-off date for analog AM, a'la DTV (and WATCH all those anti-gubbermint right wing AM radio hosts try and spin THAT around.) So I wouldn't worry too much...

RE: What they're going to test... AM HD like the FM counterpart puts the digital signal in the sidebands at the edges of the analog signal. However in AM the sidebands (as well as the carrier) occupy a much smaller footpring (bandwidth.) This makes it only possible to broadcast a digital stereo signal of 32kbps. Which is not sufficient to make it exactly "FM" or "CD" quality.

Without the AM analog carrier occupying most of the signal they can increase the bandwidth to broadcast a higher quality digital stream.

The same can be done on FM but FM already is capable of broadcasting a digital signal with enough quality that audio artifacts are hardly noticeable to the average listener while still broadcasting a normal analog signal.

Full digital AM has been done on shortwave and in other countries with other systems (other than IBOC) already... Just not on AM in North America.

Considering that nobody listens to either of those stations in analog in significant numbers, the possibility exists that more people now have HD radios in their cars than listen to these analog stations.

The test will be to see how it sounds and how it propagates.

Hmm, so if the government does a federal mandate shutdown for AM, we can try for rare Canada, Mexico and Europe! I've got so many Mexicans to pick up still...
    But that probably won't happen for quite a few years at least.
    Digital TV is still flawed in many locations - many people still can't get the signals like the analog days. I think the DT transition could have been done much better. There WERE a few poor people that couldn't afford cable...and now they have to pay for a digital box to receive limited basic! WTH?
    782 AM's in the log, 657 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: KUQU-93.9 Enoch UT, 5/20/19 Es
    Last New AM Log: 1570 WFRL Freeport IL, 3/3/19

Quote Originally Posted by crainbebo View Post
    Hmm, so if the government does a federal mandate shutdown for AM, we can try for rare Canada, Mexico and Europe! I've got so many Mexicans to pick up still...
    But that probably won't happen for quite a few years at least.
    Digital TV is still flawed in many locations - many people still can't get the signals like the analog days. I think the DT transition could have been done much better. There WERE a few poor people that couldn't afford cable...and now they have to pay for a digital box to receive limited basic! WTH?
    DTV is a worthless joke. With analog television, the signal never was crystal clear, but it was always watchable, if not very good. With DTV the only channel I can pick up is KCPQ (and no, not with a flimsy indoor antenna).

Its not just poor people who don't have cable. There were/are TONS of people who don't care about cable channels and only wanted to watch local tv (but can no longer do so; thanks DTV)

AM signals are what many people who live far from metropolitan areas rely on. Id LOVE to see what kind of worthless reception they get!

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast