Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Connected Car

Quote Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
    When they're not busy taking selfies or pictures of their lunch.
    No, there is only one of the forums (other than this one) that I participate in that make it possible to post a picture. For the most part I stay clear of Facebook and other "social media" venues that are infested with the selfies and other sophomoric modes of expression.
    Life is too short to waste time dancing with ugly posts

Avid Listener
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    I don't think anyone in the industry would disagree. The ONLY thing radio companies own is their content. They don't own the frequency or the technology. They are merely licensees. However, a big chunk of the people in this country rely and depend on OTA technology for their entertainment and information. So licensees shouldn't completely neglect the old systems.
    And, since the vast majority of the content that you assert that the OTA radio companies "own" is recordings of songs that are actually owned by whoever owns the various publishing and performance rights to, all that the OTA radio companies actually "own" are some jingles.

Seriously, take away the songs and the commercials, and how many seconds of actual, original, exclusive content does any OTA radio station own out of every airtime hour? Can you tell me one single thing that I can get that's worth getting from an OTA radio station that I cannot get from my in-dash MP3 player? I'm speaking of under normal circumstances, not the once-in-a-blue-moon emergency that none of the local stations have any staff to cover anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Avid Listener View Post
    Seriously, take away the songs and the commercials, and how many seconds of actual, original, exclusive content does any OTA radio station own out of every airtime hour?
    Depends on the format. Sports, news, and talk? Also I don't think I said anywhere that the content is exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8oldies View Post
    It's going to be a long, long time before the entire U.S. population is packed like sardines in inner-city highrises and only uses mass transit. It's a liberal dream, but we're a big country with a lot of land, and once the millenials start to have families, they may want a little more space and freedom.
    80-90 percent of the US population lives in the cities. Partly because cities are the only places where the jobs are. And when millenials have families, that doesn't guarantee the entire family will be under one roof.

Even 20 years ago there were families under more than one roof. Mom lives here, Dad lives there. Kids live wherever. Not judging that system, but it's just the way it is.

Even more reason that bus lines aren't going to be able to be the sole means of travel. Mom's house. Dad's house, soccer practice....unless you're going to bulldoze a city and start from scratch, you aren't going to eliminate the automobile

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12