• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Looking for Soft Rock Stations

I don't think this is what Avid Listener is looking for, but anything by Lady Gaga or Katy Perry would not be soft rock.

You are absolutely correct. You cannot define a type of song by naming an artist. Given the massive output of content recorded by those two ladies, it is almost impossible that each of them hasn't recorded at least one song that might be considered "soft", though probably more likely soft pop than soft rock.

About the only thing soft that I can think of by Katy Perry is her duet with John Mayer, Who You Love.

You are absolutely correct. You cannot define a type of song by naming an artist. Given the massive output of content recorded by those two ladies, it is almost impossible that each of them hasn't recorded at least one song that might be considered "soft", though probably more likely soft pop than soft rock.
I'm not aware of anything an AC would play by either of these women that is soft. That's what I meant.

"The Lady Is a Tramp", a duet with Tony Bennett, probably wouldn't get played on an AC.

I haven't looked lately but when the site where I used to see Arbitron ratings called WRVR Memphis "soft AC", I looked at the playlist, and it certainly was. WJXA Nashville, though, was not. The man who made corrections didn't seem to care.

I'm not aware of anything an AC would play by either of these women that is soft. That's what I meant.

I did not ask about radio formats. I asked about musical genres. This thread is about looking for "soft rock" stations, not "adult contemporary" stations. If you want to find a station that plays "soft rock", then it helps to have some sort of an idea of what is and what is not "soft rock". The simple truth is, if you cannot define what something is, you can't really discuss it effectively.

But the absolute worst definition of all, being totally useless, is the circular logic that Such-and-such a format includes songs played on such-and-such a format station, while such-and-such a format station is any station that play's such-and-such a genre of songs. It's circular pretzel logic.

I did not ask about radio formats. I asked about musical genres. This thread is about looking for "soft rock" stations, not "adult contemporary" stations. If you want to find a station that plays "soft rock", then it helps to have some sort of an idea of what is and what is not "soft rock". The simple truth is, if you cannot define what something is, you can't really discuss it effectively.

But the absolute worst definition of all, being totally useless, is the circular logic that Such-and-such a format includes songs played on such-and-such a format station, while such-and-such a format station is any station that play's such-and-such a genre of songs. It's circular pretzel logic.

From what I understand, soft rock and AC are pretty much considered the same the thing.

"The Lady Is a Tramp", a duet with Tony Bennett, probably wouldn't get played on an AC.

I haven't looked lately but when the site where I used to see Arbitron ratings called WRVR Memphis "soft AC", I looked at the playlist, and it certainly was. WJXA Nashville, though, was not. The man who made corrections didn't seem to care.

An AC station I've been listening to online has been playing "Anything Goes", another Lady Gaga/Tony Bennett duet.

My conclusion is that Lite FM is mostly about the mix of songs. You may hear a song you love here and there, but mixed along with Barry Manilow, Matchbox 20 and Chigago, it becomes decidedly lite. The blend as a whole is "Lite" not necessarily the songs themselves.

Are there still very many stations that are playing actual soft rock as it sounded in the 90s rather than the more today's pop oriented music AC stations are playing now? I don't mind if they play some of today's music, but most of the current music is not pleasant to my ears, and I just want to hear soft rock. So far I've found 95.9 the Oasis from California, although I can't remember the call letters.

Here is another station that leans more towards the older version of the format:

Amazing Lite Music
www.amazinglitemusic.com

Can anyone provide an uncontested, universally agreed upon description of what constitutes "soft" rock? I'm looking for a set of characteristics that anyone can use to evaluate a song they're hearing for the first time that conclusively determines if that song is "soft" rock or not.

Are acoustic "unplugged" versions of hard rock songs soft? Are power ballads soft? Are there uptempo soft songs?

Per Allmusic.com:

Soft Rock: http://www.allmusic.com/subgenre/soft-rock-ma0000011841

Adult Contemporary: http://www.allmusic.com/style/adult-contemporary-ma0000004445

Genre information from Wikipedia:

Soft rock (also referred to as mellow rock, light rock, or easy rock) is a style of music which uses the techniques of rock and roll (often combined with elements from folk rock and singer-songwriter pop) to compose a softer, more toned-down sound for listening, often at work or when driving. Soft rock songs generally tend to focus on themes like love, everyday life and relationships.
The genre tends to make heavy use of acoustic guitars, pianos, synthesizers and sometimes saxophones. The electric guitars in soft rock are normally faint and high-pitched.

Adult contemporary music (AC) is a style of music, ranging from 1960s vocal and 1970s soft rock music to predominantly ballad-heavy music of the present day, with varying degrees of easy listening, soul, rhythm and blues, and rock influence. Adult contemporary is rather a continuation of the easy listening and soft rock style that became popular in the 1960s and 1970s with some adjustments that reflect the evolution of pop/rock music.
Adult contemporary tends to have lush, soothing and highly polished qualities where emphasis on melody and harmonies is accentuated. It is usually melodic enough to get a listener’s attention, and is inoffensive and pleasurable enough to work well as background music. Like most of pop music, its songs tend to be written in a basic format (often the verse-chorus structure), as well as the common employment of repeated choruses.
Adult contemporary is heavy on romantic ballads which mostly use acoustic instruments (though bass guitar is usually used) such as acoustic guitars, pianos, saxophones, and sometimes an orchestral set. The electric guitars are normally faint and high-pitched. However, recent adult contemporary music may usually feature synthesizers (and other electronics, such as drum machines).
AC radio may play mainstream music, but they will exclude “hip hop”, “heavy metal”, youth-oriented “hard rock”, “teen pop” music, and rhythmic “dance tracks”, as they are less popular amongst the target demographic of these radio stations, which is intended for an adult audience. Radio stations playing this format will often target the 18–54 age group, also the demographic that has received the most attention from advertisers since the 1960s.
Over the years, AC has spawned numerous sub-genres: “hot AC”, “soft AC” (also known as “lite AC”), “urban AC”, “rhythmic AC”, and “Christian AC” (i.e., a softer type of Contemporary Christian music). Some radio stations play only “hot AC”, “soft AC”, or only one of the variety of sub-genres. Therefore, it is not usually considered a specific genre of music; it is merely an assemblage of selected tracks from musicians of many different genres.

Last edited:
There are currently several large market stations playing what used to be called "Soft AC." They all stream...

WFEZ Easy 93.1...Miami www.easy93.com
WDUV 105.5 The Dove...Tampa www.wduv.com
KVIB 95.1 The Oasis...Phoenix www.theoasisphoenix.com
KIFM Easy 98.1...San Diego www.easy981.com
WEZZ Easy 97.3...Birmingham www.easy973.com
WHTI Easy 100.9...Richmond www.easy1009.com
KAJR 95.9 The Oasis...Palm Springs www.959theoasis.com

They all play the soft hits we listened to 20 years on Soft AC stations. Lionel Richie, Gloria Estefan, Air Supply, Whitney Houston, etc. Maybe even some soft Beatles and Neil Diamond on occasion. Nearly every city had one of these stations, Lite-FM in New York, KOST in Los Angeles, KOIT in San Francisco. But as time went on, most Soft AC stations stepped up the tempo and added songs that weren't soft because today's adult women don't really want that. So along came a handful of stations which have chosen to go after the 40+ audience believing on a crowded radio dial with few stations serving the mature listener, they can carve out a successful business plan.

Oldies Girl, in her original post, used the words "Soft Rock" to describe the type of station she's looking for. And at one time, there were also Soft Rock stations in various cities, which would take the playlists of Rock stations and omit the harder-edged titles. So stations like WKTU NYC (before they went Disco), KNX-FM Los Angeles, WMGK Philadelphia, WEEI-FM Boston, all played a format of Soft Rock: Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, James Taylor, Carole King, etc. Even a soft song from Led Zeppelin, "Going to California" could be heard. But again, the audience that wanted that music got too old. Today there are Adult Album Alternative stations in some cities, that try not to get too hard-edged but they aren't exactly soft either. On SiriusXM, there's a channel called The Bridge which specializes in this music.

And finally there's a national format called America's Best, heard on several AM stations around the country. They're a combination of Soft Oldies and Standards, so you might hear Barry Manilow, Dionne Warwick and the Carpenters with an occasional Frank Sinatra or Nat King Cole song. One station that audio streams is KKJL San Luis Obispo, California at kjewel.net

In addition to Gregg's list, some other FM stations that stream are:

WEZW 93.1 Atlantic City, New Jersey
WLIX 93.3/94.7 Long Island, New York
Lite 100.5 WQKS-HD2 Montgomery, Alabama

The Amazing Lite Music station I mentioned has been playing another Tony Bennett duet with Lady Gaga, Anything Goes. It's one of a small handful of standards the station includes in their AC mix. As the station advertises on their web page, they won’t give you a headache like some other stations that just call themselves “lite” and are anything but.

Wide Awake is one of the few songs I'm able to tolerate by Katy Perry.

Last edited:
Before dumping their Soft AC artists, the stations I listened to during my childhood in the 1980s had playlists like the stations that Gregg listed. I remember they branded themselves in their slogans as soft rock and easy listening.

That Amazing Lite Music station I mentioned about does like my local AC stations do - repeat newest songs that have been added to the playlist frequently throughout the day. I asked them why and here is what they said:

"We have a special rotation of songs that, according to our research, are more popular right now (for example, Sam Smith-Stay With Me which hit #1 on the U.S. Adult Contemporary chart.) This is why you’ll hear them more often than others."

Last edited:
I had mentioned about Joy 99.5 prior to registering. They started streaming in 2013 and still have a relatively small playlist, which results in repetition as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom