60's Music Gone From WCBS-FM - Page 14
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: 60's Music Gone From WCBS-FM

Quote Originally Posted by landtuna View Post
    The Andrews Sisters had the first big hit with this WWII classic but it was covered by Bette Midler in 1972 and reached the top ten so you didn't have to be THAT old to have heard it.

P.S. The Lennon Sisters also did a cover, uniforms and all, on the Welk Show in 2003.
    I thought of that too, but the Chanels and the others went all out, thinking the military sitcom Stamos' character liked was about WWII.

In a previous post I mentioned WKCE was playing oldies no one else plays. The owner of that station just either leased of bought a station in Plattsburg New York AM1070 and 103.7 FM and changed the calls to WPLB Same programing as WKCE They also have the same music feed on WFAT in Massachusetts.

Quote Originally Posted by jbl View Post
    In a previous post I mentioned WKCE was playing oldies no one else plays. The owner of that station just either leased of bought a station in Plattsburg New York AM1070 and 103.7 FM and changed the calls to WPLB Same programing as WKCE They also have the same music feed on WFAT in Massachusetts.
    Not only the same programming but almost exactly the same presentation, playlists and web presence as well. The only things different I can hear right now is that WPLB carries ABC News segment on the hour and WKCE has a local DJ on morning drive.

UPDATE: Just heard Roger Morgan, the local DJ, on WPLB as well. They are playing the same exact songs at the same exact time despite being far apart geographically.

Also....how can WPLB claim Montreal as a COL?
    Last edited by landtuna; 01-17-2017 at 01:05 PM. Reason: New Info
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Not only the same programming but almost exactly the same presentation, playlists and web presence as well. The only things different I can hear right now is that WPLB carries ABC News segment on the hour and WKCE has a local DJ on morning drive.

UPDATE: Just heard Roger Morgan, the local DJ, on WPLB as well. They are playing the same exact songs at the same exact time despite being far apart geographically.

If you look on Radio Locator site it looks like their 1070 signal reaches Canada and it is a daytime only signal. Roger is on WKCE 8 am to 10 am and just started on WPLB today from Noon to 1pm. WFAT AM 700 runs the same feed also Roger is not on that station which is also a daytime only station They run 24 hours on the FM signals. Great to hear a station like this not run by big companies and a DJ that actually answers the phone and plays your request.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jbl View Post
    If you look on Radio Locator site it looks like their 1070 signal reaches Canada and it is a daytime only signal.
    The usable signal for an AM (generally noise free and listenable indoors as well as in the car) is actually inside the innermost red circle on the radio-locator maps. This station does not come close to reaching Canada except as a DX target.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator

It does not claim Montreal as a city of license. The FCC allows any other cities to be listed after the community of license. So one could say "KOOL-FM, Phoenix, Las Vegas and Los Angeles" if they wanted to. The important thing is to list the COL first.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

It does not claim Montreal as a city of license. The FCC allows any other cities to be listed after the community of license. So one could say "KOOL-FM, Phoenix, Las Vegas and Los Angeles" if they wanted to. The important thing is to list the COL first.
    What then is the purpose of a station using multiple cities in their COL?

Here's a quick example: I believe WXPK 107.1 COL is "Briarcliffe Manor", they ID as 107.1 WXPK Briarcliffe Manor-White Plains, i.e. most people know where White Plains is but not necessarily where Briarcliffe Manor is

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRadioFan View Post
    Here's a quick example: I believe WXPK 107.1 COL is "Briarcliffe Manor", they ID as 107.1 WXPK Briarcliffe Manor-White Plains, i.e. most people know where White Plains is but not necessarily where Briarcliffe Manor is
    Public radio station WFCR (88.5) Amherst MA announces WFCR Amherst-Springfield-Hartford, mentioning the two largest cities its signal reaches. Everyone in Springfield, and probably nearly everybody in Hartford, knows where Amherst is, but it never hurts to give the centers of the metropolitan areas the station serves a top-of-hour mention. The Hartford reference is especially important, as the NPR affiliate that serves Hartford, WNPR (90.5), is a news/talk station, while WFCR programs classical music and jazz along with NPR's morning and afternoon drive shows. Hartford doesn't have a comparable station; the closest would be WSHU (91.1) Fairfield, but its signal is sketchy at best in Hartford.
    Last edited by CTListener; 01-17-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRadioFan View Post
    I used to live in White Plains and never heard of Briarcliffe Manor.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast