• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

House Cleaning at WCCC

:eek: WCCC-FM 106.9 Has Been Godsmacked! :eek:

How in the hell did this group land a full-powered FM station in a mid-sized market like Hartford/New Britain/Middletown? Are they now a non-commercial station like WIHS-FM 104.9 of Middletown?

Same way they got a full Class C rimshot outside of Houston....they paid $$$$ for it...

Cumeless sold KHJK 103.7 to EMF for $5 million....just the 2000 foot tower alone cost the Cloud that back when it was built...
They paid former owner Ben Amato $32 MILLION for the 103.7 signal that was a C2 in Willis TX (north of Houston) and moved it to the 2000 ft tower between Beaumont and Houston....but rimshots on that side of Houston have never done well in the ratings...or billing......SW, West and NW Houston is where the $$$ are.......Only one rimshot, KTHT 97.1 covers that area well....

If you missed the final moments of WCCC, you can listen to the last 15 minutes at formatchange.com.

I finished recording the entire 5 hours of WCCC's final day on "Rock 106.9", but like I said, I'm not much of a rock fan. I had TuneIn this morning until I left for work, I had the timer on and the final show began at noon. This is the complete farewell show in its entirety with no stream buffering at all for your listening enjoyment. The final show starts with an interview with Howard Stern which I'm not a big fan of Howard Stern back in his glory days of WNBC-AM in the 1980's and then to WXRK's former "K-Rock" and remained there until 2005 where he is still on Sirius/XM and like I said, I'm not a Stern fan. Plus a couple of phone calls and interviews from the DJ's and then played the final song and it was not "Goodnight" by the Beatles, not "American Pie" by Don McLean, not "Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End" by the Beatles, not "The End" by the Doors and not "A Day In The Life" by the Beatles, just the last one by Pantera entitled "Walk". I'm not a big fan of the last song played on the station, but I have to avoid it like the plague. After it was over, nothing but dead air all day and all night. No station launch at all, just the final sign-off. This final show is 5 hours long with no buffering issues. Thanks to the magic of the TuneIn app. I recorded the last show while I was away at my job. After coming home, no problem at all, it let's this thing record until the station ends. I will post the audio of it later this weekend.

If you haven't heard the last song played on WCCC's "Rock 106.9", here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkFqg5wAuFk

Apparently ended just past 5 with The Walk by
Pantera
You're right, I don't like the song very much until the station signed off. They should've played "Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End" by the Beatles from the "Abbey Road" album or "The End" by the Doors. That would've been appropriate for the station sign-off when it goes to dead air.

WIHS is fully alive and well, thank you. :)

We have been aware of this K-Love purchase for a few weeks, but only as "strong rumors", nothing concrete.

We found out about the actual changeover time at the same time everyone else did, Wednesday afternoon, when the Internet went nuts with the news. ;) I was recording it for the final changeover... and the radio I was using decided to die at that moment... so I never got the actual changeover recorded! I did hear it by running out to a co-worker's car. She had tuned it in, and I caught just the few moments of dead air, then the new K-Love station ID... and K-Love has a new, powerful signal in CT.

They are very different from WIHS. WIHS is 100% live and local, 24/7. K-Love has nothing local at all. It's all out of California.

Couldn't someone else of purchased the station that already owns stations say CBS or new owners of DRC. Don't think Clear Channel would of went after it. Maybe Entercom but then we would got WEEI simulcast.

Couldn't someone else of purchased the station that already owns stations say CBS or new owners of DRC. Don't think Clear Channel would of went after it. Maybe Entercom but then we would got WEEI simulcast.

Others did, but EMF outbid them all at $9.5 million.

The new owners of WDRC (their name is Connoisseur Media by the way) put in a bid for WCCC, but they were outbid by K-LOVE. I think they put in the bid before they bought WDRC.

WIHS is fully alive and well, thank you. :)

They are very different from WIHS. WIHS is 100% live and local, 24/7. K-Love has nothing local at all. It's all out of California.
I agree with you willie!WIHS is all local and in tune with the community.While the new station may play some nice music,its not local ! only in location only.

Hiya everyone. :) Been a lurker here for a while and figured this was a good time to join. Losing CCC was a huge blow to CT radio. Even though the station really died once they switched to classic rock it is still sad to see it officially gone. I thought the 5 hour send off yesterday was some of the best programming the station has had in years. That was really what it sounded like during it's great years. I think the sign off was perfect. Pantera was the right way to go out.

There's a donate link (among other methods) in plain sight on every page of the K-Love website. There's also a "ways to support K-Love" page. They're pretty up front about the fact that they want your money. They are considered a charity.

By the way, they raised well over $130 million in contributions in 2013. Like them or not, they're pretty formidable. And they've become a pretty savvy acquirer or broadcast properties.

From Wikipedia.org

The K-LOVE and Air1 programming is distributed by satellite and carried on its own stations, a large number of lower power FM translators, and some stations which it operates on behalf of other owners.

On BEHALF...Leased time or a half owner/half bond (station ownership)????

It would be something to see another station owner returning or buying the station at a markup. But the problem is...EMF will not...WILL NOT sell the station.

From Wikipedia.org

The K-LOVE and Air1 programming is distributed by satellite and carried on its own stations, a large number of lower power FM translators, and some stations which it operates on behalf of other owners.

On BEHALF...Leased time or a half owner/half bond (station ownership)????

It would be something to see another station owner returning or buying the station at a markup. But the problem is...EMF will not...WILL NOT sell the station.
So when the new ccc tanks, and it will. They won't sell it or change formats because they just want blanket coverage and don't care about ratings.

So when the new ccc tanks, and it will. They won't sell it or change formats because they just want blanket coverage and don't care about ratings.

Partly true, but if you look at these K-LOVE stations around the country, they actually DO get pretty good ratings. But because they're non-commercial, they don't seek advertising.

Partly true, but if you look at these K-LOVE stations around the country, they actually DO get pretty good ratings. But because they're non-commercial, they don't seek advertising.
And they can afford to take a loss on a few stations since it isn't really costing them much long term. How well can a christian music station do in Hartford?

How well can a christian music station do in Hartford?

You'd be surprised. Christian music today isn't Onward Christian Soldiers. Their annual awards show is as highly produced as the MTV Awards. Just no bleeped out words. The music sounds like rock or pop, but with a spiritual message and no sex. The "love" they're singing about isn't about a night in the sack. But it can be as hard rocking as Megadeath.

Its just sad to see a good signal go to waste. I wonder if Red Wolf made a bid as they own 104.1 I'm sure they wouldn't mind owning more in Hartford. And if CBS got it I know the format would be changed to protect WRCH and to keep Country 92.5 away from the top. Not that Hartford would need a country battle but would be better then Klove.

They Didnt Buy It!

No transfer of control has been filed on either station, no consummation either... its a LMA

For example, WWLV (Love) in Greensboro NC used to be a 100kw Oldies outlet.

Flipped to K-Love & doesn't even show up in the ratings.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom