• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM frequency of the week-1380khz

KRCM is running less power now than it was licensed for in Beaumont....for those not familiar with Houston, the Shenandoah area is a VERY small town between Conroe and The Woodlands in Montgomery County north of Houston (about 40m north of downtown)...KRCM is 800w day and 80w night iirc (in Beaumont, it was 1KW day and 127 at night into a 5/8w antenna...that was ready to fall down)...there are much more powerful regional stations on 1380 than KRCM...plus a station out of Mexico blows KRCM away in Houston proper at night.

Um....KRCM runs 2.8 kilowatts during the day, not 800 watts. I don't believe I'd be able to pick it up in Bellville at only 800 watts. At night, it drops to 60 watts, which barely gets out of Shenandoah itself.

Just wait. Daij Media has a CP to jump that thing up to 22kw days, with a pattern that will send it up to College Station, and may even skirt the edges of Beaumont once again. The upgrade looks to at least bring a limited signal back into Jefferson County.

I'm still waiting to see it actually light up with the 22kW. I'm betting KULP El Campo takes on enough interference to file a complaint, when all is said and done.

Day time::::Nothing

Nighttime::::proud to say KLPZ out of Parker Arizona ( Country music format ). This little station only pumps out 58 Watts at night, yet can travel 475 miles. This is one of my most impressive DX catches to date. In fact, I'm able to pick it up repeatedly, on good nights.

Day time::::Nothing

Nighttime::::proud to say KLPZ out of Parker Arizona ( Country music format ). This little station only pumps out 58 Watts at night, yet can travel 475 miles. This is one of my most impressive DX catches to date. In fact, I'm able to pick it up repeatedly, on good nights.

Hate to be a party pooper, but I think KPLZ is probably running day power at night. Its something that's become more and more common as small AM stations strugle and as the FCC has become more and more focused on matters other than AM stations operating on higher than authorized power. We've been discussing it off and on here for the past several years.

That said, 2,500 watts on a crowded channel on the upper end of the dial at nearly 500 miles is still a fairly nice catch, so "a round of applause" is still in order. Even if it turns out that the good folks at KPLZ are "forgetting" to power down. :).

In central MD it's a semi-local signal from 1,000 watter WCBG Waynesboro, PA carrying ESPN Radio. At night that stations drops away to 20 watts and it's usually a mush.

Hate to be a party pooper, but I think KPLZ is probably running day power at night. Its something that's become more and more common as small AM stations strugle and as the FCC has become more and more focused on matters other than AM stations operating on higher than authorized power. We've been discussing it off and on here for the past several years.

That said, 2,500 watts on a crowded channel on the upper end of the dial at nearly 500 miles is still a fairly nice catch, so "a round of applause" is still in order. Even if it turns out that the good folks at KPLZ are "forgetting" to power down. :).

Unfortunately, I think you are correct. 2.5KW at 1380 kHz, at over 475 miles isn't to bad....I'll take either or...

Here in Wood Dale, IL in the near NW suburb of Chicago:

Daytime: WBEL
Nightime: KXFN most common one

DX/RETRO: KOTA (Rapid City, SD), WAOK (Atlanta, GA), WFCL (Clintonville, WI) and the Canadian CKLC (Kingston, ON)

@ Schroedinger : Those patterns on pages 177 and 178 don't look like either KUDL or KWK I see via the old National Radio Club nighttime coverage map here.

@ David E : On that same old '1380' page, it's plain how WLCY was heard in Ecuador. As well, the page shows why I heard KWK near Clearwater FL that one night. It was the case of WLCY's null plus that little tongue that KWK sends SE off the back of their main signal. KWK had to've come in because of the closer WAOK (Atlanta) nighttime null -- virtually a thorough null -- pulled in from WLCY ST. Pete.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom