• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Best Sources For Music Programming - Mix / Rotation /Hits / Re-currents / Gold

What are some suggestions on the best source for station music programming / researched music / rotation of hits / gold / re-currents? Looking for the best service that provides rotation list of your music - how long to play a hit / when to move re-currents to gold / so on. I know Westwood One provides music logs for stations. You guys have any suggestions on what works best for you?

Thanks

I'd try gut instinct and knowledge of your audience.

What service do you serious program directors use, other than the obvious gut instinct that any successful station incorporates?

I know this message board has changed hands and it may not be what it use to be. I have noticed there are not a whole lot of actual "radio people" on this one. It often attracts listeners who like music or radio. It is evident on the format threads. Many of the post ask "what is your favorite song?' Most radio people hear plenty of music during their job, and often don't listen to more music when they go home. So again - I'm looking for program directors who use actual services as we do. I know not everyone is able to do this - especially small markets, and they have to rely on gut feelings to decide what song to play rather than actually researching songs. Program Directors - what different services do you use?

I know this message board has changed hands and it may not be what it use to be. I have noticed there are not a whole lot of actual "radio people" on this one. It often attracts listeners who like music or radio. It is evident on the format threads. Many of the post ask "what is your favorite song?' Most radio people hear plenty of music during their job, and often don't listen to more music when they go home. So again - I'm looking for program directors who use actual services as we do. I know not everyone is able to do this - especially small markets, and they have to rely on gut feelings to decide what song to play rather than actually researching songs. Program Directors - what different services do you use?

The first thing would be to get BDS or MediaBase, by subscription, to see what other stations in the format you have are playing and to track the weekly moves in spins. Many stations that don't have the money for research use the collective playlists of a number of stations in similar markets or similar competitive situations.

You can also track airplay less specifically by getting a free account to allaccess.com and looking at the resources there.

David: Thanks so much! That is exactly what we are looking for but just didn't know the direction we needed to go. Hoping you have great success in the radio business.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom