• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Chainsmokers - #Selfy

bobdavcav

Star Participant
Has anyone heard this yet? My reaction when I first heard this, so this is what passes as music these days? I have to admit some of the lines are pretty funny and it does have a good beat, but seriously?

We will pass on this one. A novelty that needs to go away.

A song about a popular social media "thing." What do you expect for top 40/CHR?

-crainbebo

When I first heard that what does the fox say song, I thought that was the worst song I have ever heard. After 30 seconds of this song, my opinion has changed.

Cripes, I feel like I've step into a retirement home or something...

First rule of being a Program Director or Music Director: Program to what your audience/market wants to hear, NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR.

As far as #Selfee is concern: It is among the most added records for the fourth week in a row, according to BDS, it's #21 with a bullet on the BDS Mainstream CHR chart in its 4th week, and #2 on BDS's Dance/Mix Show Airplay chart.

And it's a fun song, something in the vein of "Valley Girl" by Frank and Moon Unit Zappa.

BTW: "What Does The Fox Say" by Ylvis was never really meant to be a song per se. It was created as an anti-hit by Norwegian comedy duo/brothers Vegard and Bård Ylvisåker under their stage name Ylvis to promote the third season of their show on TVNorg. They made a deadpan video for it and it took off from there. The internet get the credit (or blame) for breaking that song.

Robyn

What Does he Fox Say was actually a pretty decent song compared to this. It would have been a lot better had they decided to do a synthesizer interlude during the chorus instead of the stuff with their voices. Anyone with a little audio editing experience could have put #Selfy together, all it is is just a conversation where you only hear the one voice.

I don't look at #Selfie as a song to take seriously from a lyrical or artistically standpoint. I look at it as a hot fun uptempo dance record about a young woman taking a photo of herself and putting it online, while commenting on what's going on from her vapid point of view. It goes well with the other uptempo pop that is out there like Katy Perry's "Dark Horse", "Pharrell Williams' "Happy", and so on.

As far as production, It's not bad, the radio edit clocks in at 3:00, while the commercial single is at 3:43. I've heard worse. The intro to the album version of Beyonce's "Drunk In Love" comes to mind. That sounds like Cartman from "South Park" trying to either sing or howl at a full moon.

Robyn

Cripes, I feel like I've step into a retirement home or something...

First rule of being a Program Director or Music Director: Program to what your audience/market wants to hear, NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR.

Robyn

Exactly Robyn. My first thought reading this thread was that NO ONE else in this thread could possibly be a programmer.

#Selfie is novelty song yes. However, any top 40 station that didn't jump on this song immediately was foolish and clueless.
The song is a win on so many angles.

First and foremost, it immediately relates to anyone who uses social media but specifically, with WOMEN who use social media,
even more specifically, WOMEN 15-25 who use social media daily - you know, the demo CHR stations target.

It's an IMMEDIATE reaction record with young women. They hear it and wanna tell their friends (also in the demo) about it. PERFECT!
Robyn excuse for saying this but, next women are still talking about the record a week or two later because EVERY GIRL knows a girl
JUST LIKE the girl in the song. And just like the girl in the song, most girls almost always talk like that about OTHER girls. PERFECT!

But it get's better because 99.9% of these ladies (in the demo) relate even more because THEY also have a smartphone with a camera and
can take #Selfys themselves. Now the song just engaged your target demo to action.

Ever been in a club when this song plays? Look around, ladies are talking #selfys of themselves at the bar on the dance floor, all over.

Since these ladies (in the demo) are talking and creating a "buzz" about the new song you're playing - in person, on the phone, in texts, on FB, at the club -
AND taking #Selfys everywhere they go AND since the DAILY pressure today on your station is increase page views/unique visitors etc, a PERFECT
and easy to execute #Selfy gallery, contest, whatever should have been an immediate feature of your stations website.

So to review: This song immediately got the attention of your core target demo, was memorable enough that your core target demo had to "tell a friend".
(that's about all you normally get from a novelty song). This song also engaged your target demo to do the fun thing song is talking about (take a selfy),
opening a HUGE opportunity for you to also engage them by asking them to submit the selfy's to your website.

This song just handed you the opportunity to make your core target audience into the "stars" of the radio station. You increase page views, increase
unique visitors, increase Facebook likes online. You keep radio relevant for younger demos to keep listening because you relate better than Pandora, etc.
And even if you're an automated, voice tracked station or full of syndication you CAN STILL execute this with no problem.

Sure, I'll sit back and watch you miss this opportunity thrown right into your lap. But first, lemme go play #selfy.

I heard part of this horrible song on Power 99.1 (KUJ-FM) in the Tri-Cities. After about a minute and hearing the singer say "let me take a selfie", I changed it in disgrace. I'd rather hear Pharrell Williams 2 times an hour.

-crainbebo

I don't like this song at all. It is annoying to listen to and I don't understand how this song is doing so well on iTunes. According to their pop hot tracks chart it is number 14 out of 60. How? Who would spend a $1.29 on this song?

It's all of the 13-year-olds! If not for them, we wouldn't have had Gangnam Style, Harlem Shake, What Does the Fox Say or #Selfie.

-crainbebo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom