• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Why do so many Urban AC stations break format on weekends?

ka2xuk

Frequent Participant
I love the Urban AC format and seek it out whenever and wherever I travel. But why do so many of these stations insist on breaking format on weekends? For example, Philly and Baltimore each have excellent Urban AC stations. But on Saturday night, the Urban AC gives way to dancy, rappy, hip-hoppy music that I hate and don't want to listen to. And both cities have stations that specialize in that type of music. In many cities, the dance/rap/hip-hop station is co-owned with the Urban AC station. I could understand this if a given market only has one urban station...but why this inconsistency in markets with various flavors of urban radio?

The only Urban AC station that I've heard so far that is consistent is WHUR in Washington, D.C. The last time I was in that area on a weekend, WHUR ran the Quiet Storm (slow jams) on Saturday night, as it does during the week.

50yrs old

I actually prefer the break from the mold on the weekends. I'm fifty years old not dead

A number of urban ac's that play hip hop during the weekend mainly try to stick with the hip hop from the old school era (1979-1989) and no more, but others will sprinkle a golden age hip hop title or two (1987-1998). Most urban acs everywhere since 2011-ish have allowed a hip hop track or two to be rotated one or two songs a day and no more to satisfy those who enjoyed rap but won't support the likes of Lil Wayne, Jay-Z or Kanye.

I haven't listened to much of it lately, but the urban AC where I live does old-school on Friday and Saturday evenings. I like "Rapper's Delight" and some of the others. What they tended to do when I listened, and may still do, is graduallly change from one song to another, like moving from "Rapper's Delight" to "Good Times" by Chic.

I love the Urban AC format and seek it out whenever and wherever I travel. But why do so many of these stations insist on breaking format on weekends? For example, Philly and Baltimore each have excellent Urban AC stations. But on Saturday night, the Urban AC gives way to dancy, rappy, hip-hoppy music that I hate and don't want to listen to. And both cities have stations that specialize in that type of music. In many cities, the dance/rap/hip-hop station is co-owned with the Urban AC station. I could understand this if a given market only has one urban station...but why this inconsistency in markets with various flavors of urban radio?

The only Urban AC station that I've heard so far that is consistent is WHUR in Washington, D.C. The last time I was in that area on a weekend, WHUR ran the Quiet Storm (slow jams) on Saturday night, as it does during the week.

It's the nature of the format.

Defunct KSJL FM San Antonio did this, they had Adult R&B during the day, Rap and Hip Hop from 7 pm to 10 pm followed by Slow Jams with Tommy Young from 10 pm to midnight.
On Saturdays Rap and Hip Hop from 7 pm to 12 midnight, followed by Adult R&B.
Sunday Mornings was Gospel and in the afternoon was Jazz.

Defunct KHYS Port Arthur, Houston y985 did Jazz on Sunday afternoons with John Jay.

96.3 RNB in Austin does Old School on Saturday nights 9 pm to midnight, and Slow Jams on Sunday nights 9 pm to midnight.

In fact I listen to 96.3 on Saturdays for the Old School.

AC counterparts do this or have done this good example is when KKMJ 95.5 did all 70's on the weekends.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom