• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Singles that are hard to find.

Several years ago, I bought a mint 45 to get the mono short version of "Beginnings." The run time of 2:50 works for me. :)

This is off subject... way off. But the multiple mentions of Chicago brought up a radio programming point based on personal experience.

Any time I hear a Chicago cut on radio, satellite, Pandora or wherever, I immediately punch out. I would rather hear 5 minutes of Kars4Kids than anything by Chicago. Over the years, I have found that, while I'm in a small minority, I am not unique.

Where we get to radio is in answering the old question about why some songs are played and others not, or why it seems that Eagles only had 3 hits. When we do research, and find a significant percentage of folks give deeply negative scores to certain songs, they are not playable. If it's one or two people in a project, that's not enough... but if 20% of the folks give a certain song a score below the 1-100 equivalent of a 30 or 40, we begin to wonder if it should be played at all.

And that is, in a nutshell, radio's dilemma. We can't play only your favorites, but we can try to never play ones you hate. That reduces the library from Olympic high diving depth to a wading pool!

Love that two minutes or so of just percussion that it ends with!

Great part of the song, like a samba ending. For me, from about the 3rd thru the 6th minute.......oh....those TRUMPETS and HORNS....you can't beat it.

Have a great Christmas Firepoint. 76 over and out!

I think Debby Boone's '77 smash would be a better choice than a second or two of that spot.
Where is that laughing emoji? I hear about Kars4Kids all the time, but I don't believe that they air that here. I can't recall having ever heard it.
Great part of the song, like a samba ending. For me, from about the 3rd thru the 6th minute.......oh....those TRUMPETS and HORNS....you can't beat it.
Have a great Christmas Firepoint. 76 over and out!
You, too! Next year! May your favorite station(s) not go all-Christmas on you!

I know many people dislike it because of how different it is than the album version, but "Beginnings" never would've been a hit if it wasn't for the edit, which added a hook and kept it within the magical 3 minute mark that allowed AM Top 40 stations to play it.

There was also an AM radio edit of Pink Floyd's "Money" which was just over 3 minutes in length. It had a more conservative edit of the expletive (just "bull" instead of "bullsh") and cut out most of the guitar solo.

And the 45 RPM single of Naked Eyes' "Always Something There To Remind Me" has a different intro than the album version. I never hear this version played on the radio anymore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c9HRsRi-cE
I heard the long version of "Beginnings' (I believe) on a gold-based AC about 30 years ago. Interesting.

I've never heard "Money" edited.

I'll have to wait until Christmas music is over, but WEZV Myrtle Beach SC does play the Naked Eyes song. I think it's the version with the explosions (and yet they try to call themselves "lite' and "relaxing") but I'm not absolutely certain. That was neat seeing the man put it on a turntable and hearing the clicks and pops.

I heard Barbra Streisand's "The Way We Were" in an old aircheck of WABC and thought it sounded different than what I'm used to hearing (even aside from the thick Musicradio-era reverb). And indeed it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHHB4xh-Mvo

As the video's description states: "This is the original hit version, where this particular vocal mix can only be heard on the original 45 RPM record, which is what everyone heard when this record was a hit.
Since then, alternate vocal tracks were used on later LP's & CD's. In fact, the version heard almost all the time today is NOT this original hit version. Oldies radio seems to only play the alternate takes."

Apparently (at least as of a few years ago) this version has never been released on CD.

There's a KHJ aircheck from 1968 which has a version of the Contours "Do You Love Me" in which one might think "where did that alternate version come from?". As it turns out, THAT was the original 45.

I heard Barbra Streisand's "The Way We Were" in an old aircheck of WABC and thought it sounded different than what I'm used to hearing (even aside from the thick Musicradio-era reverb). And indeed it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHHB4xh-Mvo

As the video's description states: "This is the original hit version, where this particular vocal mix can only be heard on the original 45 RPM record, which is what everyone heard when this record was a hit.
Since then, alternate vocal tracks were used on later LP's & CD's. In fact, the version heard almost all the time today is NOT this original hit version. Oldies radio seems to only play the alternate takes."

Apparently (at least as of a few years ago) this version has never been released on CD.
I listened briefly and I think this is the version played on America's Best Music.

There's a KHJ aircheck from 1968 which has a version of the Contours "Do You Love Me" in which one might think "where did that alternate version come from?". As it turns out, THAT was the original 45.

Is this the one that says "do ya love me baby" instead of just "do you love me"? I think I heard that version a few times when it was a hit (the second time) back in '88.

Is this the one that says "do ya love me baby" instead of just "do you love me"? I think I heard that version a few times when it was a hit (the second time) back in '88.
A more important question: I watched a horror movie where, before things got scary, a female employee at a movie theater was alone and danced to it. Which version was it? I'm remembering just "do you loooove me."

Further searching reveals that the version of "Always Something There to Remind Me" that starts with the thunder and church bells is the original UK version, which was also put on the first pressing of the U.S. single.

The version that starts with the synth drums is an alternate mix done by "Jellybean" which I guess the record label found tested better in the U.S., so it's what they distributed to radio stations here. In the UK, this version was later released as the "American Edit".

nakedeyes.jpg
I'm not sure which of those versions I just heard. Is there a way to listen to both? I don't think it started with thunder and maybe there were church bells but I'm not sure.

"The Girl from Ipanema" on iHeart The Standard starts with a male vocalist singing in another language. Most of the rest of it sounds like what I'm used to, with Astrud Gilberto.

"The Girl from Ipanema" on iHeart The Standard starts with a male vocalist singing in another language. Most of the rest of it sounds like what I'm used to, with Astrud Gilberto.

That's the album version with Astrud's husband Joao Gilberto speaking in Portuguese.

They speak Portuguese, not Spanish, in Brazil. Joao is credited with creating Bossa Nova music.

The single version omitted his verse from the song. Not sure why they play this version.

A few more singles that are hard to locate:

Emotional Rescue - Stones (radio edit)
My Life - Billy Joel (radio edit)
Isn't She Lovely - Stevie Wonder (radio edit)

My Life - Billy Joel (radio edit)
Is that any different than the 45 RPM single edit (length 3:50) that is on his Greatest Hits Volume I & II album? That's the version that most radio stations have played for many years now, including the audible tape splice.

Is that any different than the 45 RPM single edit (length 3:50) that is on his Greatest Hits Volume I & II album? That's the version that most radio stations have played for many years now, including the audible tape splice.
Definitely prefer the album version of that one, which was restored to CD in The Essential Billy Joel, which we have. I can only guess that the only reason for sticking record buyers with the short version on that first greatest hits album was so that they could fit more songs in. Indeed, radio had gravitated to the album cut by then, only to have Columbia stick us with this stupid edit once again!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom