• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

El zol 106.7

U

Unregistered

New branding @106.7 question is if 95.7 becomes dj957

Here's the Inside Radio article...

http://www.insideradio.com/Article.asp?id=2728593&spid=32061#.UpYl6tKsidk

The article says the "Spanglish" format isn't working in Miami or Houston. In Houston, 107.9 (actually Beaumont TX) is now Rhythmic Hits in English. I guess if someone wants Tropical or Regional Mexican, they want the DJs to mostly speak Spanish with a few English words or phrases thrown in. But if they want mainstream hits, they want it in English.

In Miami, SBS is shifting the "El Zol" Tropical format from WXDJ 95.7 to 106.7 but they're not saying what new format goes on 95.7 in the new year. 106.7 has the better signal, 100 kw at 984 feet. 95.7 is 40 kw at 548 feet. The tower for 95.7 is in or near Miami while WRMA's tower is in or near Hollywood. So do they want to give their Tropical format more coverage in Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach? Meanwhile they will try something different on 95.7, customized more for Miami? We'll see in a little over a month.

Gregg, could be. I'm not sure if El Zol even makes it up to Boca Raton-I think it may go as far as Deerfield Beach.

WXDJ 95.7 will be DJ95

Per my source this will be the new home of Laz positioning The best DJ in the Game in between WMGE & WPOW

95.7 makes it to Boca on a car radio. Keep in mind that 95.5's stick is up near Indiantown and Port St. Lucie. I can reliably get 95.7 in my car in Lake Worth, where I live.

The article says the "Spanglish" format isn't working in Miami or Houston. In Houston, 107.9 (actually Beaumont TX) is now Rhythmic Hits in English. I guess if someone wants Tropical or Regional Mexican, they want the DJs to mostly speak Spanish with a few English words or phrases thrown in. But if they want mainstream hits, they want it in English.

It's a bit more than that. "Spanglish" is not a format, it is a form of presentation of nearly any format.

In Miami the issue was that DJ Laz did not carry audience with him from WPOW. In LA, he did not create an audience. Irrespective of the kind of music played, we saw in Miami that Power was carrying Laz, and has actually done a bit better in a number of books since he left. In LA, there was no way for Laz to gain traction against the very good and very established shows on Kiss, Power, Amp and others.

In fact, this is all about a single show failing. It has nothing to do with formats.

In Miami, SBS is shifting the "El Zol" Tropical format from WXDJ 95.7 to 106.7 but they're not saying what new format goes on 95.7 in the new year. 106.7 has the better signal, 100 kw at 984 feet. 95.7 is 40 kw at 548 feet. The tower for 95.7 is in or near Miami while WRMA's tower is in or near Hollywood. So do they want to give their Tropical format more coverage in Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach? Meanwhile they will try something different on 95.7, customized more for Miami? We'll see in a little over a month.

"Miami" in radio is all of Dade and Broward. That, since 1981, has been the Metro Survey Area.

106.7, which, IIRC, is on the Gannet tower at the county line, is near dead center for coverage of the Miami MSA. 95.7, on One Biscayne Plaza (Again, IIRC) only covers the southern half of the metro well... but it is also the half with 80% of the Hispanic population.

If there is a reason for the shift in frequencies, it's to get a better signal for the Zol format in Broward as well as Dade; the direct format competitor is located around Redlands, far to the southern side of Dade... although it is 100 kw at nearly 2000 feet.

Coverage of the Palm Beaches is irrelevant and useless for sales as WPB is a separate market, bought separately and at much lower rates. This is all about the Miami MSA.

It looks like city grade signal for 106.7 (red) covers from Wellington to Homestead. So DJ Laz carried all the billing etc for El Zol?

From my past vacations in South Florida, I have gotten El Zol 95.7 well to a little past Pompano Beach. Then it mixes with Wild 95.5 and El Zol is not to be heard at all or barely around Boynton Beach. DJ 106.7 is like most Miami signals, where they make it well to around Boynton Beach and fade the farther north.

It looks like city grade signal for 106.7 (red) covers from Wellington to Homestead. So DJ Laz carried all the billing etc for El Zol?

If, by "red", you refer to the contours in radio-locator.com, keep in mind that the useful in-home and at-work coverage is about 20% inside that innermost red coverage area. Obviously, in the super-flat Miami market, coverage is less subject to terrain... but it takes about a 65 dbu signal to get good indoors reception on today's radios (and listening as measured by Nielsen).

Laz was not on El Zol. He was the "magnet" for the creation of DJ 106.7, in the hopes that the new format would peel listeners from stations like Y-100, Power, WRTO and WMGE. It didn't work.

The article says the "Spanglish" format isn't working in Miami or Houston. In Houston, 107.9 (actually Beaumont TX) is now Rhythmic Hits in English.

Right frequency, wrong market: KQQK/Beaumont-Houston is Regional Mexican and has been since 2001. The article was referencing KFZO/Dallas, which dropped Rhythmic for Regional Mexican in July when it was KESS.

El Zol is live on 106.7 i just heard the flip at midnight November 28, The last song played was "Take over control" by Afrojack... so long DJ it was fun... :( they also said on el zol 106.7 that a new *latin* station would appear on 95.7 in jan i doubt it will be DJ 95.7 or anything english

Last edited:
Los Fonomemecos are no longer on their sister station, Z 92. Either they've been fired or they might move to the new station at 95.7 they will have come January. Granted, their audience tends to be older, so it wouldn't suprise me if they were shown the door. On the other hand, they are Miami comedy staples...

Wonder if this will come with some kind of call sign change. If only WZOL weren't taken by some Adventist Radio Station in Puerto Rico... but WMZL is available!

Last edited:
El Zol is live on 106.7 i just heard the flip at midnight November 28, The last song played was "Take over control" by Afrojack... so long DJ it was fun... :( they also said on el zol 106.7 that a new *latin* station would appear on 95.7 in jan i doubt it will be DJ 95.7 or anything english

Here is the video of the switch. The song playing in the video (and I assume on 95.7 FM) is Todo Tiene Su Final by Hector LaVoe.

Youtube -- EL ZOL 106.7 FM Cambiando la Frequencia.

As I tweeted to them, I am a little bit surprised by this move. I kind of like it though. We here in Miami have no "Baladas" station. Do you think 95.7 will have that format come January or something else? Personally, I would want the Latin Ballad format.

As I tweeted to them, I am a little bit surprised by this move. I kind of like it though. We here in Miami have no "Baladas" station. Do you think 95.7 will have that format come January or something else? Personally, I would want the Latin Ballad format.

I'm pretty sure a large chunk of Amor 107.5's playlist is "baladas."

I'm pretty sure a large chunk of Amor 107.5's playlist is "baladas."

Amor has not been a "balada" station for years. It is a more adult pop rhythmic sound than WXDJ or WRTO, and a bit more gold based than Mega, but still most of the list is lighter reggaetón, melodic salsa, bachata and pop. There are ballads, but they are the distinct minority.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom