• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Active Rock vs Alternative Rock in the 90s

acheron1982

Star Participant
Hey guys!

Was there a such thing as active rock in the 90s? Manson, White Zombie and other metal bands were being played on alternative stations at the time so I'm wondering what was being played on active rock stations and not alternative stations. I almost want to think that both formats were pretty much morphed into one back during these days. Anyone have any ideas?

This doesnt exactly answer the question bu here's what I do remember. If an alternative band released a "soft" single, then the active station wouldnt play it and would instead play an alternative single. For example, when Smashing Pumpkins relased Thrity-Three off Melon Collie, the active station here didnt play it and played a heavier single (Here is No Why) instead. When STP relased Lady Picture Show off Tiny Music as a single, the same station played Tumble in the Rough instead. When Green Day released Time of Your Life as a single, the station played something more rocking. There's probably other examples but thats all I remember. I know Glycerine by Bush was a soft song but I think it did get played on that active station for some reason. Too big of a hit I guess to avoid.

Let me elaborate a little further. In Boston we had WBCN (alternative) and WAAF (Active). The active station played all the big 90s bands that alternative played like Nirvana, Bush, Pearl Jam, Green Day, STP, etc. but they mixed it in with pre-90s stuff like Ozzy, Motley Crue, Metallica, AC/DC, Aerosmith, etc.

But I remember Manson, White Zombie, even Type O Negative on the alternative station in Savannah Ga back in the mid 90's. It was WZAT Z102. They were considered alt rock and owned by Phoenix. I wonder if maybe they blurred the line a little and that was what I was use to as a child.

Manson, White Zombie, and Type O might have been a station by station basis. My local alt station played Manson and Zombie but not Type O. Korn's another one. Obviously they were an active staple but I did remember hearing them on alternative as well. I'm talking about their 1st 2 albums (94 & 96) before they broke big with their 3rd one.

See and I think you have made a point. Alternative is defined by introducing music to the great. Lots of active rock bands and top 40 bands were heard first on alternative. Chevelle is obviously more active in sound but they were introduced on alternative stations.

I spoke with someone over at clear channel and they said that active rock at this point is hurting. No active rock band out there really new with the exception of Volbeat which explains why they are played every hour. She said active rock is really hurting right now and the future will be interesting.

Manson, White Zombie, and Type O might have been a station by station basis. My local alt station played Manson and Zombie but not Type O. Korn's another one. Obviously they were an active staple but I did remember hearing them on alternative as well. I'm talking about their 1st 2 albums (94 & 96) before they broke big with their 3rd one.

One more thing - Many of the smaller stations that play active rock have been sneaking in some alt rock artist/songs into the mix (rock 100.5 out of Atlanta and 102.9 out of Nashville) and the response has NOT been great because you have those who like the loud rock and if its not loud - They see it as pop. Well, active rock is not big right now so stations are including some alternative songs that are big right now to help with the library and those artist are also being played on top 40 stations right now (because alternative has spat out some big artist over the past year) and ONLY because you can hear those bands on top 40 stations, many are claiming these stations are going too pop. I just hope this popularity in alternative does not hurt it's reputation in the future.

In the 90s, there was a point where there was enough grunge and harder material to brand as "New Rock Alternative" or some variant thereof without playing New Order and the Cure, and it became easier to market as a "rock" station for younger adults. The grunge wave brought in a more traditional rock audience that was tired of hair metal and classic rock - which led to the format becoming a format that embraced a mix of grunge, new hard stuff, and the occasional rap/rock crossover. Wasn't much "alternative" about it.

But you see, I don't consider alternative a style of music. I see alternative as a format that births new music that breaks out of the indie world. Now that can be Sarah Mclachlan, Marilyn Manson, Bastille, New Order, Chevelle, Mumford and Sons, even macklemore and Outcast. Alternative is the edgier side or the more underground. Alternative introduces you to bands like Imagine Dragons and Fun and alternative may also introduce you to songs by artist that are already established. The issue I'm having with alternative right now is that you are hearing lots of songs that you can hear on top 40. Sure, its good a song first heard on alternative makes it to top 40 but once top 40 get a hold of it to rape it, it's time to let it go. For example, alternative should leave Royals by Lorde alone. Stick with her newer singles while Top 40 takes care of the Royals song. Same goes with Imagine Dragons.

Many alternative stations are not playing songs from alternative artist like Band of Skulls or even Nine Inch Nails because the bands don't necessarily fit into the more pop style they are currently playing. WEQX out of Vermont/New York is the exception. They do an amazing job by playing it all (regardless how hard or poppy it is) but the clear channel and cbs alt stations are going way too poppy without including any of the more garage rock/post punk artist that are out there right now.

In the 90s, there was a point where there was enough grunge and harder material to brand as "New Rock Alternative" or some variant thereof without playing New Order and the Cure, and it became easier to market as a "rock" station for younger adults. The grunge wave brought in a more traditional rock audience that was tired of hair metal and classic rock - which led to the format becoming a format that embraced a mix of grunge, new hard stuff, and the occasional rap/rock crossover. Wasn't much "alternative" about it.

Alternative is really stupid for not playing new punk or punk influenced bands anymore. You'll still hear old Blink 182 or old Offspring and maybe a new Green Day song but to just abandon new punk bands alltogether isnt right especially since punk is the root of alternative and it isnt going anywhere and will never die out.

There was definitely a lot of crossover in the 1990s. We had two alternative stations and one "active" rock station, as well the old mainstream rocker. Everyone played Pearl Jam. Everyone played Collective Soul. The active rocker even played Alanis Morrisette. The difference, mostly, was in the gold tracks. The active rocker played a lot of Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd and AC/DC. The alternative stations didn't play much pre-1991 music at all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom