• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Big Change at 106.7 as the Kimmer Arrives

If the ratings continue like they are, with AN down around 21st in the market, there will be no Kimmer, or
anyone else, for that matter, for very long. Dickey is not going to continue with this format with the station
staying this far down in the ratings. Spot carrier or not, the latest ratings will surely kill the format.

I hope to God that Jennifer Perry has told Kimmer to not be LIKE Erick Erickson. Nobody wants to hear the vile and sexists chats about coat-hangers and the like on yet another signal.

Have you listened to the Kimmer before? Lots of cheesecakey comments about "Kimmer Babes" versus "furry-legged hyphenated femme-gals", but if you bring up abortion you will get a smackdown.

Kimmer is about as sexist as a Hooters or TRG. No more and no less.

Alright, I don't really know what your thinking is here...but the only two (YES, TWO!) changes being made at All News are 1) 2014 Season Braves Baseball and 2) Kim Peterson debuting November 4th at Noon. Red Eye Radio is NOT coming to overnights and Savage WILL NOT be populating the 3-6pm time slot. No plan is in the works. And what do you mean, they "have to be coming" to 106.7? According to whom exactly? A guy who has it out for All News because they compete with WSB? His incoherent musings don't matter much in the long run.

Boy BTAtlanta maybe the former JVR sure thinks he knows a lot about AN.

Pre-2001 Kimmer was the best show on Atlanta radio. I hope he reverts back to his 'News Monster' persona and leaves politics alone. I love the promo pointing out Hannity ripped him off with 'Great American' Amen!

Kimmer was creative and fun, Hannity has always done what others have done before him. Hannity does nothing new and never has. Complete ******.

The resurrection of Snake (I'm on the run from Smashmouth) Davis and Jim, plus the Braves in 2014 is a win all the way around.

Step back, be patient and let's see where AN takes us.

"Semper Fi, I gotta go, you're killing me! I don't even know what that means"

And as always, "Go Braves, chop chop" GLD

I think people are focusing too much on ratings because the success of The Game and All will not be based mostly on the ratings. Its the billing and the profit margin at the stations that determine its success. If the Game can maintain a 24/7 airstaff (outside of play by play) and make CBS more profit than Dave did then CBS will see it as a success. Obviously with the 24/7 network and sports talk stations on its roster CBS is gong to make the money needed to make this a success. It has already been mentioned that All News was never intended to take WSB down so if cumulus is making more profit with 106.7 as mostly news then it did with old music then we cant call it a failure based on ratings but station profit trumps ratings.

Did anybody catch Kimmer on TRG this AM? All I heard was they were give Kimmer a hard time about a slip up that had to be beeped during the closing wrap up.

Last edited:
I see Michelle Wright is now off the schedule so i guess another anchor change is coming.

I see Michelle Wright is now off the schedule so i guess another anchor change is coming.

Be looking for another announcement of at least one new anchor (possibly two, one newsreader and one anchor) coming from Jennifer Perry in a few days. And also look for a 640 WGST tie-in/history. I've also seen some discussion previously about moving Maria Boynton to mornings but I'm not sure if that's still a valid possibility.

It should be noted that Stacey Elgin (who was once already rumored to be Michelle Wright's replacement a few months back) has been filling in a lot with Andy Rose. She still sounds kinda boring and isn't exactly the most cheery person for the morning audience but *is* a step-up from MW.

I am very interested in how Michelle Wright ceased to be the morning anchor. Of anybody at All News, she likely had the most job security given who was in her back pocket: Jim Mahaynay (Cumulus VP of N/T/S). He liked her and thought she did well at AN106.7.

Last edited:
I am curious on how Peterson's show will mix in and how much air time he will have. I wonder if it will be like the infomercials on weekend mornings where they keep traffic on the 6's. Will John and Cheryl still co-host the news in middays or will one be solo.I guess i will find out monday at noon

The Kimmer is all about cost. Everything the Dickey's do is about cost. The All News idea what a great one - timed right so they could get great anchors for cheap since they were all unemployed when CNN Radio went under. But, like most short-sighted companies, they have no patience to wait for some ratings. All news takes at least 5 years to work. Ask anyone. They would not wait. They got rid of their first Program/News Director because he pushed back when they wanted to run infomercials a few months into the format. They did not provide the staff/reporters with the equipment needed to report the news. The branding was great, the support sucked because it cost too much.

So now we have sports, the Kimmer and god knows what else is coming. More "talk" programming WILL show up soon. Probably nights and/or overnight when listening levels are near non-existent in radio. They will stay all news (for now) in the drive times. But the "All News" brand is damaged. A name change will be coming. It has to. It would be like a music station using "all the hits" and playing Michael Bolton.

You have mentioned before that it takes 5 years for an All News format to take off - Is there an all news format that has last this long and is actually doing well?

The Kimmer is all about cost. Everything the Dickey's do is about cost. The All News idea what a great one - timed right so they could get great anchors for cheap since they were all unemployed when CNN Radio went under. But, like most short-sighted companies, they have no patience to wait for some ratings. All news takes at least 5 years to work. Ask anyone. They would not wait. They got rid of their first Program/News Director because he pushed back when they wanted to run infomercials a few months into the format. They did not provide the staff/reporters with the equipment needed to report the news. The branding was great, the support sucked because it cost too much.

So now we have sports, the Kimmer and god knows what else is coming. More "talk" programming WILL show up soon. Probably nights and/or overnight when listening levels are near non-existent in radio. They will stay all news (for now) in the drive times. But the "All News" brand is damaged. A name change will be coming. It has to. It would be like a music station using "all the hits" and playing Michael Bolton.

They will stay all news (for now) in the drive times. But the "All News" brand is damaged. A name change will be coming. It has to. It would be like a music station using "all the hits" and playing Michael Bolton.

No. It would be like a music station using "Michael Bolton" and playing all the hits. They are doing MORE than just news. You have to realize the word "all" is subjective - basically airing enough news to SOUND like an all news station because it has far MORE news than any other station in the market. If the market demands more news, AN106.7 has the facilities and format to provide it; if the market demands more variety, AN106.7 can provide that, too without losing the FLAVOR of being an "all" news station.

If you're going to hold AN106.7 to nothing but news, you have to take all news programs off all the music stations. Get reasonable; it's just a name (like "new" in River), and by calling themselves "all" news, they are not personally lying to you.

No. It would be like a music station using "Michael Bolton" and playing all the hits. They are doing MORE than just news. You have to realize the word "all" is subjective - basically airing enough news to SOUND like an all news station because it has far MORE news than any other station in the market. If the market demands more news, AN106.7 has the facilities and format to provide it; if the market demands more variety, AN106.7 can provide that, too without losing the FLAVOR of being an "all" news station.

If you're going to hold AN106.7 to nothing but news, you have to take all news programs off all the music stations. Get reasonable; it's just a name (like "new" in River), and by calling themselves "all" news, they are not personally lying to you.
WSB was doing their "all news" with Boortz getting about 5 total minutes of airtime from 8:30 until 9. Most news media has a modicum of opinion and humor content, and I think Kimmer will do well with that if he does more-or-less what he did at WGST--lots of breaks for news, stay topical, and keep moving--especially during a slower daypart for the format.

The biggest concern for AN may be damage to the LWYW audience because Kimmer's schtick sometimes gets a little randy. But, spoken word generally isn't good for LWYW anyway...

Disagree on the name change, they'll likely continue to call it "AN" or perhaps when additional talk programming is added it'll switch to "NewsRadio" a slogan many stations with talk programming adopt. AN or whatever it'll be called will likely perform better in the ratings with the addition of the Braves and perhaps even Kimmer. 18 months in they're still lagging behind the final month of the oldies format which was a 2.9 share of the market reaching 674 thousand plus people compared to now a 1.8 share reaching 374 thousand plus people in the area.

The biggest concern for AN may be damage to the LWYW audience because Kimmer's schtick sometimes gets a little randy. But, spoken word generally isn't good for LWYW anyway...

OK... I passed a brain stone when I read "LWYW". Tell me quickly what it means so I can hit my head with my hand and say, " Oh - YEAH. I knew that!" :D

Don't think I can take it …

I'm sorry, I tried, I really tried. Yesterday while working at the polls I took my lunch break and tried to listen to The Kimmer, hoping to catch up news. Couldn't take it. He was vapid, anything he said seemed insignificant. Jennifer read the news at such breakneck speed I honestly could not recall 5 minutes later what she'd reported. Kimmer seemed totally isolated from the rest of the broadcast. Many "welcome back" calls which was tedious and definitely not edifying to the audience. I'm going to miss my midday news fix because there is no place else on the dial to get it. AN1067 has stepped into a deep pile in the pasture in their Sunday shoes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom