• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

LPFM lots of excitement but..

joshzz

Star Participant
With a new window for LPFM applications forthcoming, many people are excited.

Reality is, most LPFMs don't survive and all too many that do end up being a juke box with the only voice heard on the station running at the top of the hour.

I run an LPFM and it's difficult. I'm not here to sound like Mr. Doomsday but want to share a dose of reality. Also, I know the Prometheus Radio Project does a great job advocating for LPFM and I am thankful they exist but feel they don't cover all aspects of running an LPFM.

If you plan to apply for an LPFM consider the following:

1) Have a format selected and be ready to go. If that format already exists consider why someone will listen to you over an established station. The truth is, a new format will offer the greatest opportunity for success.

2) Don't depend on volunteers. You need to pay people or you'll be miserable. Volunteers come and go with the wind. Sure there will be some people that are excited about being on radio as volunteers but most don't last. It's going to cost you.

3) If you're near a major market, your jocks need to sound professional. If they're prone to saying "you know" "ahhh" etc., you're not likely to gain a lot of traction.

4) You need to sell, sell, sell. Again you can't depend on volunteers. Pay with a generous commission. Are you the guy starting the station ?? You personally need to sell. It doesn't matter if this a nonprofit church, etc., someone has to be able to tell people why they need to be on your station above all others. It's not an easy task as their are many stations everywhere competing for funding.

5) You need an engineer. Engineers are not cheap generally speaking and it's imperative that you have a good one.

6) Do you like waking up at 3 AM? If you do gain a following, there will be times when you need to go out to the transmitter site very late at night.

7) Money! Relating to #4, you will need to spend money in order to make money. You need to be on the internet and need a clean sound. Also you will need to pay for imaging, personalities, accountant, music licensing, electric, streaming, jingles, sound board, stereo processor, a good antenna, tower rental, computers, phone, internet, transmitter, stereo processor, EAS system, DA, mod monitor, bird watt meter, streamer box (Telos Pro Stream is best), and much more.

8) Planning on streaming Catholic Radio or other nationwide programming? If you're not invested in providing local programming, the national corporation/ministry that you're streaming will get all the donations and you'll be cash poor. Also, as more people turn to internet programming, your station will become insignificant. You have to give people a reason to listen to YOUR station. What is different about your station that is going to keep listeners coming back?

9) You run a church and believe it will grow your ministry? Your program needs to be compelling. It won't work if your pastor is on the station every hour.

10) COMMUNITY: You need to be at events, sponsor concerts and the like, and do live remotes. If sports is your thing, broadcast games - not very profitable in general but it gives you presence.

11) Can you write? Someone needs to be creative in writing underwriting spots and commercials (for nonprofits). Also, you need talented voices to voice the spots - You should have at least four or more people doing the spots as listeners grow tired of hearing the same voice spots over and over again. Voices need to be seasoned not your 14 year old nephew.

I wrote this for the purpose of helping you in your quest to start an LPFM - It's not to discourage you but rather to prepare for what is to come should you take on this endeavor.

Last edited:
Unless you have a church or other non-profit organization paying the bills, you will have to run it like a business.

You still have to run it like a business. One large ministry group applied for many translators in the last translator window and was able to get a large number of them on the air. They soon discovered that running them was a financial nightmare and ended up selling most of them.

All too many people think all you need to do is get approved, get the station on the air and you're good to go. Fact is, unless you have compelling programming, most people will not tune in to your station. An LPFM has huge obstacles, the #1 being that the signal doesn't travel very far.

You can make it but you need to do all the things I mentioned above and you're still going to have a difficult time.

I think your points are good, Josh. As a former manager of an AM daytimer, I can add that many folks who have not actually operated a station before have an idea that it is somehow "glamerous." Long hours, fixing electronics after hours and getting rejections while trying to sell can bring reality home quickly.

That said, I am retired - forced to at age 46, in 2004 when my former employer leased his station to a third party. Spent a few years helping raise step-grandsons. There were no jobs to go to, and still aren't.

I started a nonprofit in 2001 and have kept it going ever since. So I am applying to bring a unique format to the market. Since I am home all day. and the station will be located here on the property in an adjacent building, I am going with all local programming. Feeling like I need the challenge of something to do.

If that post was meant for me, Mr. Josh, I got the message loud and clear. Will be compelling with my presentation. No talk for me, during the week. Three Church services, music and some sports will be all I'll do. My presentation will be all local all the time. Copying the AFR's and Moody's of the world won't cut it for me. Doing local stuff and mostly music will offer the most compelling reason for people to tune in and check me out. Plan on having a web site and live stream, once I sign on and begin broadcasting. Plan on being Selma's first and only full time CCM radio station. That's where I want to take this new radio station.

Dan <><

Last edited:
I recall the buzz from several radio people (engineers, DJs, entrepreneurs, hobbyists) when that first LPFM window was about to open. Two of those folks had internet radio stations operating -- oldies. The discussion always was the conflict as to which venue had the more promise. In the intervening decade, it seems neither venture has exactly broken through like it was MTV.

Both the internet-only stations and the LPFM's (if there were any to result) wound up with their own albatrosses sales-wise. Many of those restraints were imposed by Big Radio. That fascist DMCA Act ought to be challenged in a class-action suit, for example. (My thought is that internet radio must pose more of a threat to the megalith radio owners than a 100-watt FM station will).

So I'm thinking that this time around, regardless of the extended window, that there will be fewer people likely to try out the venture with visions of it being anything more than it turned out to be the first time around. The biggest FM companies have been chasing their own tails every time their 'monthlies' arrive for a decade, in attempts to transform their investments all into back into the engraving plates for currency which radio once came close to representing. What chance does a 100-watt station have nowadays?

Running an LPFM is probably a nice hobby to drive you crazy in retirement age (like all hobbies are designed to do anyway). Maybe it'll mean a few extra bucks to pay for the electric bill.
But, I fear, only if you have the type-approved transmitter, element, tower, format and staff stalwarts paid in full and on your own property.

An LPFM primarily practically *has* to be a hobby, approached with the required passion for a hobby. The extra bucks that would come in to augment your SS check would be nice. But as thread-starter Josh expresses it so well :
Sales-sales-sales is the key ; the difference between your own ham station and a living income.

Other than that, you're a bigmouthed licensed CBer who winds up bothering fewer and fewer people because of broadcast obsolescence initiated by gamblers on the same dial who have far bigger signals and pockets than yours

WOW!!! Everyone made a lot of good points. I should mention this was not directed toward anyone in particular rather as an education for those thinking about starting an LPFM. I do believe years ago, radio was perceived as being more glamorous . Now, you're competing with upteen radio, satellite and internet stations. To compete you need excellent personalities, and great sales people. We just hosted our, LIFT FM AUTUMN FEST with over 1,100 listeners in attendance. It was a great event but it took a lot of hard work and prayer to make it as successful as it was (besides putting the event together - I still had to sell, write and produce spots, set up brokered programming, take calls from listeners, do billing, modify the website, do contest give-aways, check the transmitter sites (3), act as board op for some programs, etc, etc). Once an event is over, it's not over. It's on to the next promotion - keeping listeners excited about the station. We've got Veggie Tales multiple DVD give-aways taking place soon and we will be giving away Fantastic Family Four-packs to Handel's Messiah Refreshed to be held at the Lincoln Center in New York - Each 4 pack is worth about $400! Then we're planning a big event for the homeless which is personally something that tugs at my heart everyday.

Sometimes I do wish I worked for a large station group... then I could be more focused in specific areas as I currently do just about everything. With that said it's great to make a positive difference in the world and I am truly grateful God has given me this opportunity.

For anyone starting a radio station or any other business for that matter, if you truly want to succeed YOU have to be personally invested in it.

Here is our website: www.liftfm.com

I'm amazed at how many folks think LPFM is not a business. I might be misusing the word business but to me running a household is just as much a business than anything else. We have a certain income and pay our bills. We center on what we need to do to bring in the cash to sustain our lifestyles. You have to run the LPFM the same way. Your first emphasis is the money to do it and keep it going. They turn off the lights when you don't pay the bill.

I'm amazed so many think they have the latest, greatest music format that will take their community by storm when their LPFM comes on the air. My first boss in radio told me on my first day "Just remember I hired you to do what the community wants not what you want to do on the radio." The real test is when you're willing to run a format that is not your personal preference because it is what your community wants.

I must admit, I'm amazed at myself because I had to learn all of this the hard way. It wasn't until I was managing a station that I 'got it'. With that said, it helps to put sales and programming in perspective: what you do on air is the product you are selling to the audience and the underwriter/donor. It has to be a good, if not great product. If it is not, sales will suffer. Likewise, if you don't have a good if not great sales effort, the lack of cash will cause your on air product to suffer. When the cash isn't there and programming suffers you're on a downward spiral.

You will have to do it! No you will NOT find salespeople that are good and great. Why? They are already making money elsewhere and you can't afford them. Commission only? Really. How many jobs would you accept with no pay? You will have to sell, even if you hate it (I thought I did) and you will have to take the station to the level you can 'buy' help with salaries. You will have to stay motivated and not dwell on the negative. Once you have that negative thought, you had better have two positive thoughts to focus on immediately. And finally, it will never go as planned. Murphy's Law is alive and well. Everything takes longer; everything has its own plan versus your own and it helps t have a big S on your shirt because you'll feel like Superman when you defeat every issue that comes up. But when that long day ends, you can smile and know you'll do that all again, and win again tomorrow.

You might find some ideas here: www.excelsiorradio.webs.com

Last edited:
bturner, Great Points! Many people think they can just turn on the transmitter, start playing music and advertisers/underwriters will come running to their door. Actually years ago when radio was king, you might see some of that behavior but not today.

If one plans to start a radio station and has no desire to personally sell ads, underwriting spots and brokered programming, then one should not even think about owning radio.

Also, regarding music programming: you will learn that what you think are the best songs to play will not match up with what your listeners want to hear. I thought I had great taste in music and realized with help from a consultant that I knew nothing.

Don't play the songs you like! You can put the songs you like in your personal CD or mp3 player but don't think potential listeners will stay tuned to your station. You need to play what everyone else is playing in your format. Your boss needs to be mediabase. Mediabase will tell you what the leading stations are playing by format, the number of spins per week, etc. Don't rely on your feelings - you're not an expert and what you think is best to throw out the window.

Then, there's the issue of reaching out to the community. You need to be involved with the community. Being involved in positive events is a great thing. DO NOT get involved in politics! The minute you take sides on political issues, you lose your 1/2 your audience. As an LPFM you're supposed to be non-political anyway. If politicians are interested in your station give respect to all political parties.

That's it for now.

I should mention that there are plenty of radio stations available for sale and at favorable prices.

Radio in general is on the decline but you can make a go of it, if you're willing to put in long hours, use consultants and/or mediabase to determine your playlist, listen to the advice of those who have been in the business in the long time, get out on the streets and sell (do not depend on anyone else), and make your station sound as good as all the others in the market.

Also, regarding music programming: you will learn that what you think are the best songs to play will not match up with what your listeners want to hear. I thought I had great taste in music and realized with help from a consultant that I knew nothing.

Don't play the songs you like! You can put the songs you like in your personal CD or mp3 player but don't think potential listeners will stay tuned to your station.

I could not disagree more with this consultant nonsense (can I say that on here?) particularly -- especially -- in reference to LPFM's. I am fortunate to be familiar with one of the best LPFM's in the country, an LPFM which was the first to break then-unknown Kongos, then-unknown Lorde, then-unknown fun. (before they were fun.), and so on. Had a consultant been programming this station's music, they would playing 90's alternative "mold." Are you aware that there are still many "modern" rock stations that have Nirvana in regular rotation? Nirvana? Really? The BBC's John Peel was smart enough to play the music HE liked -- where are all the LPFM programmers in the mold of a Peel? Contrary to what consultants have to say, the main audience for LPFM's will be people who WANT to hear what you WANT to hear. Please don't gentrify LPFM too soon.

Contrary to what consultants have to say, the main audience for LPFM's will be people who WANT to hear what you WANT to hear. Please don't gentrify LPFM too soon.

Maybe...the main goal isn't just getting them to listen, but getting them to be so passionate that they will contribute. That's not always easy in a world where everything is free. So if you only play what YOU want to hear, it may not be what the contributors want to hear. In other words, never get so wrapped up in yourself that you forget who makes it possible for you to express yourself.

Maybe...the main goal isn't just getting them to listen, but getting them to be so passionate that they will contribute. That's not always easy in a world where everything is free. So if you only play what YOU want to hear, it may not be what the contributors want to hear. In other words, never get so wrapped up in yourself that you forget who makes it possible for you to express yourself.

Correct, and I agree with this statement. However, it's more than a little telling that all the best LPFM's program their music with the same m.o. as the best pirates: free form song blocks that go from Syd Barret-era Pink Floyd to Neko Case to The World Is a Beautiful Place And I No Longer Afraid to Die to CCM-era Bob Dylan. *THAT'S* good radio. Why on earth would I want a consultant telling me I can't play that if I still want to turn a profit?

Indieradioguy, I hope you contribute financially to the station you mention. Your argument has been stated since I first got in to radio. In rare instances the left field choice can make it and be successful but those are the exceptions versus the rule. By this I mean what works in Austin, Texas might not work in Miami or New York City or Boise. In San Antonio the Tejano format shows up nicely in the ratings with good sales to back that up. It doesn't work in Houston. So many people think they should ignore every successful station to do something they personally like. If you had a LPFM and the bulk of the people in your 60 dbu preferred country, would you hold your nose and play country? If you would it would be the right decision.

The biggest point I try to make to LPFM operators is the wrongheaded thinking that a format that hits 1% of the audience is right for them. Sure, that station in a major market with that 1% of the audience format does fine with a metro of 4 million but that LPFM you have reaches 20,000 in the 60 dbu so you don't have the audience numbers to make it. You need 10% or more, meaning you have to be very mass appeal and very local to get the support. I advise LPFMs to act like they are in a small town, programming to be the better choice for as many radio listeners as possible.

Yes, I take criticism for the above. I'd suggest trying it your way and I think, except in very unusual circumstances, you'll find you'll agree with my thinking in a short time. I've launched a couple of new small market stations and I learned really quickly that consensus and localism is everything. I've said before my goal was to be the favorite of a few but the best choice of many. In fact I had a very sincere conversation with a listener at a top 40 station about why we weren't rock. Sure our top 40 leaned rock but the rockers weren't happy with us, yet they listened because we were the better choice. For the population we served, it was how we garnered enough listeners to generate the revenue we needed to keep going.

One of the biggest issues, I think, is many LPFM groups have no real radio experience. Some think "I'm non-commercial so I'm only to be concerned with programming." I know a very nice guy that has a LPFM that is off the air now trying to get just under $5,000 to get back on the air. He has never had a plan to get revenue. If he had given the same thought to funding as programming he wouldn't be off the air right now. Also, I am not trying to insult anyone but if you have only been a DJ and/or Program Director or if you have only done radio sales, you need more rounded experience. It is best if you've been on the programming and sales side and even better if you've managed a station because you get how everything needs equal treatment. Sales is nothing without a great product (programming) and great programming doesn't happen without sales because it must be sustained financially. Managing the two is like sitting on a barbed wire fence because neither sales nor programming can have the upper hand.

I could not disagree more with this consultant nonsense (can I say that on here?) particularly -- especially -- in reference to LPFM's. I am fortunate to be familiar with one of the best LPFM's in the country, an LPFM which was the first to break then-unknown Kongos, then-unknown Lorde, then-unknown fun. (before they were fun.), and so on. Had a consultant been programming this station's music, they would playing 90's alternative "mold." Are you aware that there are still many "modern" rock stations that have Nirvana in regular rotation? Nirvana? Really? The BBC's John Peel was smart enough to play the music HE liked -- where are all the LPFM programmers in the mold of a Peel? Contrary to what consultants have to say, the main audience for LPFM's will be people who WANT to hear what you WANT to hear. Please don't gentrify LPFM too soon.

The purpose of radio stations is not to break records. It is to entertain or inform or a combination of the two.

Just thinking "nobody is playing new music" or "there are great bands that nobody has heard" is not going to attract listenership. Providing an overall environment where people hear the kind of music they like will attract listeners if enough similar listeners live in the very, very reduced coverage area of most LPFMs.

If you don't play the right favorite songs, you can't slip in the occasional new songs. If you don't create an atmosphere that is more than an MP3 player on shuffle, you won't get a following and you definitely will not get donations.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom