• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

best and worst high school stations

bobdavcav

Star Participant
I figured since the top thread here is about high school radio, I figured I'd post this here. What are the best and worst high school stations you've heard? Here's the list of all the ones I'm familiar with in order,
1. WEEM/Pendleton, IN thanks Butlerguy03 for telling me about your station! Formatically, I've heard better, but this station sounds good for a high school station.
2. KNHC/Seattle, WA has a decent signal where I live, sounds pretty good, but I'm not into dance formats, don't like all the remixes they play.
3. KMHS/Koos Bay, OR, pretty good but boring CHR, all imaging produced by students. The music is weird sometimes, I always get a kick when I listen because they lean adult, but then throw in some bizarre rhythmic tracks at times.
4. KMIH/Murcer Island, WA where's the student involvement? When they were called X104.5 playing Hip-Hop and R&B, it sounded like they had quite a lot of student involvement with underwriting. Now, all imaging is professionally done, station is jockless as Hot Jams Radio, which is a pop-leaning rhythmic CHR outlet at 88.9 fm with a translator at 94.5 fm which has a pretty good signal.

WNAS-FM, New Albany, IN (Louisville, KY-IN market) is one of if not the oldest continuously-operating high school based stations, dating to I believe 1949! The young announcers are surprisingly polished, the advisors are first-rate, and WNAS is very well engineered with almost full-market signal (2850w). They employ a variety block music format, operate all-year and are sports-intensive in seasons. The enthusiastic underwriters of WNAS come from several Metro Louisville counties in addition to home Floyd Co., IN.

WNAS originates from two large high schools in the New Albany-Floyd County district, New Albany High and Floyd Central High. I hear fewer errors on-air on WNAS than I do on some metro area commercial stations.

The King Bee said:
WNAS-FM, New Albany, IN (Louisville, KY-IN market) is one of if not the oldest continuously-operating high school based stations, dating to I believe 1949! The young announcers are surprisingly polished, the advisors are first-rate, and WNAS is very well engineered with almost full-market signal (2850w). They employ a variety block music format, operate all-year and are sports-intensive in seasons. The enthusiastic underwriters of WNAS come from several Metro Louisville counties in addition to home Floyd Co., IN.

WNAS originates from two large high schools in the New Albany-Floyd County district, New Albany High and Floyd Central High. I hear fewer errors on-air on WNAS than I do on some metro area commercial stations.

I've heard great things about WNAS! I don't think they are a part of the Indiana Association of School Broadcasters. If not, we would love to compete against them and learn from each other in the annual conference/competition. (iasbonline.org)

Thanks bobdavcav for the shout-out. My students at WEEM put in so much time and effort. My entire summer block (M-F 9a-Noon) was filled with younger students looking for an opportunity to voicetrack, do live DJ & news, and produce spots, weather and more! (917weem.org) As of today, we have over 140 in-class students for the 2013-14 school year. That includes our Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced (on-air) courses, but doesn't count the nearly 100 athletic events we'll cover live this year.

I've recently started a high school radio programming blog. Primarily I review songs for high school pop radio stations, but I'm looking at adding more lesson plans, promotions ideas, and I would love to have guest writers from other high school advisers. (hsradio.wordpress.com)

The high school radio programming blog sounds like a great idea! I plan to add it to the resources page of CampusBroadcaster.net even though I'm sure your focus is primarily licensed full power stations. Hopefully campus-limited high school stations will be able to take advantage of what you cover in your blog.

I will certainly be checking this out for our station, WRSG. Thanks for starting the blog! I fully believe that we can truly serve the underserved, as we receive anecdotal evidence from businesses and Facebook.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom