• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM 1060 Calgary

mjlarochelle

Star Participant
Canadian Radio News on Facebook says that CKMX 1060 in Calgary, recently acquired by the Bell Telephone Company of Canada, may be switching formats soon. Apparently the Twitter account TSN 1060 has been established, though Funny 1060 is also said to be possible.

I'd be surprised if Calgary could support two sports radio stations. Toronto can barely support two as it is. But I'd hate to see a heritage station (the old CFCN) turn into an all-comedy station.

NO way at all can Calgary support 2 sports stations, they can barely support one. CFAC's ratings are not much better than CKMX's. I'd be ok with funny 1060, but why not bring back AM 106 and play the same music they played back then.

Who has the rights to what sport coverage in Calgary?
That might be a smart clue! A TSN 1060 would work if they
can get the right(s) to whatever sports do well in Calgary, I'm guessing.

CKMX has always been a great country station! RIP. :'( This comedy format will have a rating of 0.0 in Calgary. There WERE listeners of classic country as far as the Northwestern United States at night - and I was one of them (sometimes)

-crainbebo

Crainbebo.....if nothing else Andy Skotdal's KKXA 1520 will adequately fill the hole left behind by the demise of Classic Country on CKMX 1060. KKXA puts out a huge signal at nights into rural Alberta and B.C. (the hotbed markets for Classic Country).

crainbebo said:
CKMX has always been a great country station! RIP. :'( This comedy format will have a rating of 0.0 in Calgary. There WERE listeners of classic country as far as the Northwestern United States at night - and I was one of them (sometimes)

-crainbebo

CKSL 1410 in London, Ont. was the first Canadian AM station to go all-comedy in early 2012, and its ratings dropped significantly. Their ratings as Oldies 1410 had reached 2.2 in 2011, which was the highest they had had in years, and following the flip to comedy they dropped to 1.2. Most recently their ratings are at 1.1.

CHAM 820 in Hamilton was second to go all-comedy, and they also had their ratings drop, from 2.0 in early 2011 to 0.8 this past spring.

I would not be surprised to see some of these AM stations go dark eventually.

M.J. said:
CKSL 1410 in London, Ont. was the first Canadian AM station to go all-comedy in early 2012, and its ratings dropped significantly. Their ratings as Oldies 1410 had reached 2.2 in 2011, which was the highest they had had in years, and following the flip to comedy they dropped to 1.2. Most recently their ratings are at 1.1.

CHAM 820 in Hamilton was second to go all-comedy, and they also had their ratings drop, from 2.0 in early 2011 to 0.8 this past spring.

I would not be surprised to see some of these AM stations go dark eventually.

Okay, first of all, 1410 was trying very hard to get out of the older listener rut, was it not? (Even though it's an AM station.)
The thinking may have been that it's better to have half the numbers (or less) with a younger audience than to have what they had with older listeners, but I'm just guessing...same could perhaps be said for Calgary's station.
It might even be cheaper to run.

If this is true, this is terrible news! I live in Seattle, Washington, and always sample 1060 for my classic country listening. All we need on the radio is more sports talk, comedy or more modern country. I know I wont be tuning into into their doomed comedy format.

Classic Country 1060am was such a unique station, which I believe had some of the most loyal listeners around. No, it was not a station for a bunch of teens to listen to. It was a station for many older folks who grew up with that music, and fans of true country music all over the countryside. I am in my teens, and I love real country. It really is unfortunate that modern country station is all that is left to listen to in Calgary.

Last edited:
Latest ppms show CKMX with these numbers: 1.5 share, with total cume of 260,800, daily cume of 26,900. Weekly cume is up from the previous 222, 800 and daily cume is up from 24,500 Share went from 1.1 to the current 1.5. It's gaining an audience, it seems.

A 1.5 in the latest PPM's released earlier this week. Down from their most recent high of 2.9 in Spring/2012 when they were still Classic Country.

A 1.5 in the latest PPM's released earlier this week. Down from their most recent high of 2.9 in Spring/2012 when they were still Classic Country.

Let us not forget that CKMX has a huge following in many areas that the PPM does not survey. It was even popular in the United States as well. I could get a very clear signal on 1060 in the Seattle area and would listen frequently over the air at night.

I find the comedy more entertaining and different than the classic country songs you can hear all over the AM dial at night.

And the fact that CKMX slams into the NW at local strength is possibly good for them, even though they don't technically serve the NW US audience, because there are no comedy stations in the Puget Sound area, and I don't think there are any in Eastern Washington or Oregon, either.

Back in their AM 106 days, they got calls from all over the west coast all the time every night. One of their night jocks told me that they got as many calls from the coast as they did from Calgary.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom