• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Core artists for a Alternative Classics category

I break that down this way:

Nirvana was alternative.
Grunge was not alternative. Grunge was a mainstream rock sub-genre created to capitalize on the popularity of Nirvana. Grunge caused hair-metal bands to ditch their hairspray and shop at K-mart for flannel shirts.
Alternative, as defined in the nineties, was not alternative. It was the dominant rock genre, fully supported by the major labels.
Nu-metal succeeded Grunge as the primary thrust of rock, trading as "Alternative".
Meanwhile, some non-Alternative alternative artists kept doing things that were different. Sonic Youth, Bjork, Beck, Morphine...

Completely agree with this. I absolutely hate that grunge ever was associated with alternative. Nirvana was one thing. But the whole grunge movement in general was just a spin off of metalish rock and had way more in common with what I would say became Active Rock. I fell into the grunge trap myself, but looking back I can't stand 90% of it any more. It IS active rock. Maybe it gave alternative stations a boost but, with the exception of most of Nirvana's material (which even now I am tired of), there's little of what made alternative a format for truly great bands from the Pixies and Echo & the Bunnymen to punk bands like the Ramones.

I think the grunge era was the worst period for Alternative. Go back to the playlists of WHFS. That's alternative.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom